Thread Closed

[Q] Bought a Black Listed Galaxy S5 900A, Now what??

OP cbarry designs

22nd June 2014, 09:28 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I have a Galaxy 900A

I purchased my S5 from a man through a craigslist ad. He stated the phone was on the AT&T network, while I am on TMobile.
I knew I would need to have the phone unlocked and he assured me that my carrier could assist me. He went on to remind me of the commercials you hear about on the radio... "Bring your cell phone over to our network and we'll switch you for free". I had, in fact, heard these very commercials and made the purchase of $300.

NOT TRUE!!

TMobile informed me that the phone had been reported as stolen when I called them as I was leaving this buy.

What can I do??

I have researched some online solutions for this and there are several sites which claim to do a carrier unlock on the phone (isn't this for phones NOT on a blacklist though?)
There are other sites which offer IMEI repair. Is it possible to Root a phone, change the IMEI number to another number which is not blacklisted?

Any suggestions..? I would prefer a solution that I can navigate myself, a newbie in all regards to mobile software. If the solution requires a seasoned mobile techy-type, who would y'all recommend I enlist for the job?

Thanks so much,

Christy Lynn
22nd June 2014, 09:40 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 3,140

8,548 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarry designs

I have a Galaxy 900A

I purchased my S5 from a man through a craigslist ad. He stated the phone was on the AT&T network, while I am on TMobile.
I knew I would need to have the phone unlocked and he assured me that my carrier could assist me. He went on to remind me of the commercials you hear about on the radio... "Bring your cell phone over to our network and we'll switch you for free". I had, in fact, heard these very commercials and made the purchase of $300.

NOT TRUE!!

TMobile informed me that the phone had been reported as stolen when I called them as I was leaving this buy.

What can I do??

I have researched some online solutions for this and there are several sites which claim to do a carrier unlock on the phone (isn't this for phones NOT on a blacklist though?)
There are other sites which offer IMEI repair. Is it possible to Root a phone, change the IMEI number to another number which is not blacklisted?

Any suggestions..? I would prefer a solution that I can navigate myself, a newbie in all regards to mobile software. If the solution requires a seasoned mobile techy-type, who would y'all recommend I enlist for the job?

Thanks so much,

Christy Lynn

Changing IMEI is illegal and may not be a topic on XDA, no one is going to help you. In fact i`am gona report this thread to the mods to be deleted. Good luck, call the police and see what can be done to get you your money back.
22nd June 2014, 09:46 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 875

1,284 posts
I have seen at least 3 cases I can remember in this forum only of people that bought on Craigslist and got scammed.

Here's hoping that people learn that it's a stolen/fake phone dumping place.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
22nd June 2014, 10:00 AM   |  #4  
Senior Moderator - Resident Troll Killer
Flag Somewhere in a Deep Cave on the Troll Kings Throne
Thanks Meter: 6,107

7,320 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarry designs

I have a Galaxy 900A

NOT TRUE!!

What can I do??

Thanks so much,

Christy Lynn

Sorry it happened Christy, but as was stated, cloning imei numbers is highly illegal. And as such, discussion of such topic is forbidden at XDA.

Will have to close this thread now.

MD
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread