Note 3 to M8 - anyone done this?

13th June 2014, 09:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25

208 posts
Hi,

My first Jump is coming up in a few weeks and as I'm something of a phone whore I'm starting to look at my options.

I really like the Note 3, but I use literally none of its whiz-bang features (auto scrolling, s-pen, hovery finger crap, etc.). The reason I like it so much are its display, speed, and battery life. I used to think a lot of its camera features were silly and gimmicky, but after putting many of them to use on a trip to the Caribbean side of Mexico a couple months ago I found a whole new respect those as well. The only thing I can point to that I really don't like is that it's plastic, and the faux-leather is really cheesy IMHO.

Has anyone gone from the Note 3 to the M8? What are your impressions of the M8 by comparison, specifically regarding the display, speed, battery life, and camera functionality? Is Boom Sound all it's cracked up to be? Zoe? How is the IR blaster and associated software compared to the N3 solution?

I'm not looking for someone to tell me the M8 is "better" per se, more along the lines of whether anything about the experience is disappointing coming from the N3.

Thanks!
Last edited by abn.geek; 13th June 2014 at 10:02 PM.
14th June 2014, 08:40 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 117

761 posts
More
I decided to make the transition from the Note 3 to the M8. I honestly can't begin to describe how happy I am with this phone.

The only noticeable difference for me in the display is when viewing the color black. On the Note 3's display, black is just turned off pixels, so it's a true black (kinda miss that). In every other regard, I think the displays are comparable.

The M8 is definitely faster than the Note 3 IMO. Touchwiz was so bloated and laggy, whereas Sense seems more lightweight and optimized. Apps open faster and the overall performance is beter.

Surprisingly, I don't notice much of a difference in battery life. HTC must have really optimized their software in this device because it seems about the same as the Note 3.

The camera is the main downfall of this phone, but not a huge one. I really enjoyed the Note 3's camera quality and took it for granted. The M8's camera isn't bad, but the quality just doesn't compare except for when using the front facing camera. There is a plethora of options available in the camera app, though, so having the features shouldn't be a problem.

To wrap this up, I'll just say that boom sound is amazing (seriously the best speakers I've ever had in a mobile device), I've never used Zoe, and my experience with the IR blaster has been about the same as with the Note 3
18th June 2014, 07:07 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 29

380 posts
I did merely cuz I was tired of touchwiz. Also the big screen novelty worn off. Better battery life too

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
22nd June 2014, 07:46 AM   |  #4  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 188

1,195 posts
More
Same here got tired a little of TW .... Both are great phones ...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
22nd June 2014, 12:05 PM   |  #5  
Flag Waconia, MN
Thanks Meter: 192

995 posts
Donate to Me
More
I changed as well because I wanted the speakers. I had the HTC one before the note 3 as well. I will also get the note 4 when that comes out. so you might want to wait for that shouldn't be much longer.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread