Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,798 Members 39,359 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

i9505 battery lasts so little

Tip us?

ZenMax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Cloud Search i9505 battery lasts so little

Hello guys

I have my galaxy s4 i9505 android 4.4.2 . Is that normal, that my phones battery discharges in 2 h 30 min average (from 100%), when i play heavy games like asphalt 8 from fully charged battery till its discharge with wifi on and on 50 % brightness? Also when im surf the net, stay on fb and do stuff like that, my phones battery discharges in 4 hours. I say thats not normal. And by the now my phones battery discharges 1% in 2-1min

So its that a foulty battery problem, charging port problem or else? Dont tell me reset my phone cus, i done that 10 times already and it didint help

Im pretty sure its not Running apps problem either, cus my phone dont heat.

spamtrash
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMax View Post
Hello guys

I have my galaxy s4 i9505 android 4.4.2 . Is that normal, that my phones battery discharges in 2 h 30 min average (from 100%), when i play heavy games like asphalt 8 from fully charged battery till its discharge with wifi on and on 50 % brightness? Also when im surf the net, stay on fb and do stuff like that, my phones battery discharges in 4 hours. I say thats not normal. And by the now my phones battery discharges 1% in 2-1min

So its that a foulty battery problem, charging port problem or else? Dont tell me reset my phone cus, i done that 10 times already and it didint help

Im pretty sure its not Running apps problem either, cus my phone dont heat.
Let's be organized:
1. Faulty charging port: can be, if you phone charges too long. nothing related with discharge speed
2. Faulty battery: check battery SN, if it starts with BD letters, can be. In this case, the battery would be visually swollen, and your phone shall randomly reset with charge from 80 to 30%, and shall not be able to start without the charger connected.
3. Discharge of 60% per hour is possible, depends from the apps running in background. Install Battery Monitor Widget or something similar to investigate closer.
HTC HD2 (still alive and kicking), I9000, I9300, I9505
The Following User Says Thank You to spamtrash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZenMax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamtrash View Post
Let's be organized:
1. Faulty charging port: can be, if you phone charges too long. nothing related with discharge speed
2. Faulty battery: check battery SN, if it starts with BD letters, can be. In this case, the battery would be visually swollen, and your phone shall randomly reset with charge from 80 to 30%, and shall not be able to start without the charger connected.
3. Discharge of 60% per hour is possible, depends from the apps running in background. Install Battery Monitor Widget or something similar to investigate closer.
Thanks for reply I forgot to mention that my charging port is weird, sometimes charges phone, sometimes not. Recently my phone charges only when its turned of completely, when phone is on with charger connected its discharges. Also i can say that thats not a charger problem, because my brothers S3 charges very well with it. I'm i have ordered the new charging cable/part for my phone, and hopping to fix charging issues.

Another problem is that my phone in powering On process goes to Download mode without key combination and dont boot up (sometimes), also in the same way rondomly when i press power on button it goes to recovery mode (without key combination). Is that problem may be realated to this one i stated before (about charging).

Lennyz1988
Old
Thanks Meter 212
It's perfectly normal. There is nothing wrong with your phone.
Current:

Samsung Galaxy S 4 I9505 | WanamLite v3.0

Retired:

Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 : AOKP 4.2.1
HTC Touch Pro2 | ROM: Valkyrie 6.5.23115TR2.5
HTC HD2 | DarkStone1337 [FroyoStone Sense - V3.2]
HTC Desire : Oxygen v2.1.3
The Following User Says Thank You to Lennyz1988 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZenMax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyz1988 View Post
It's perfectly normal. There is nothing wrong with your phone.
Really? 2.5h is good on gaiming and wi-fi with 50% brightness? When browsing the net, my phone discharges in rate like 1%/3mins... (average)

Gloris
Old
Thanks Meter 89
it depends entirely on usage. 2.5 hours screen time while gaming is pretty good I think. on stock rom i can manage anything between 1.5 and 4 hours screen time, but it also depends on usage during screen time. if you're running something that's quite hard work on the cpu/gpu and with the srceen constantly on....like gaming.....then obviously that will drain your battery faster than just browsing the web or texting etc.

generally speaking s4 will last through a days normal use quite easily.....but then it depends on how you define normal days use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gloris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZenMax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloris View Post
it depends entirely on usage. 2.5 hours screen time while gaming is pretty good I think. on stock rom i can manage anything between 1.5 and 4 hours screen time, but it also depends on usage during screen time. if you're running something that's quite hard work on the cpu/gpu and with the srceen constantly on....like gaming.....then obviously that will drain your battery faster than just browsing the web or texting etc.

generally speaking s4 will last through a days normal use quite easily.....but then it depends on how you define normal days use.
Thanks for reply So its nothing to worry about? I had S3 and it lasted much longer than my current S4. Of course i need to look at its 5'' display and 1080p resolution If you guys getting same battery life while heavily using your phones, it means it's ok and i don't have consider of changing battery ?

Gloris
Old
Thanks Meter 89
yeah i think from the sounds of your usage, that's about right for a stock rom.

if you are still only getting about 2-4 hours total use (i.e. battery dead from 100% down to 0%) from your normal daily use while you're at work/school or whatever (i.e. where it's sat idle for most of the day), then you've probably got something wrong. but given that you said you were playing games etc contantly and still got 2.5 hours screen time, that's ok i think.

you can always try and squeeze some more out using custom kernels etc, but if you are not certain it's some other fault i#d try and see what battery life you get on idle first so that you don't lose warranty by flashing a custom system. so yeah try for a day or two leaving it with just normal usage or idle whenever possible to compare
The Following User Says Thank You to Gloris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spamtrash
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMax View Post
Another problem is that my phone in powering On process goes to Download mode without key combination and dont boot up (sometimes), also in the same way rondomly when i press power on button it goes to recovery mode (without key combination). Is that problem may be realated to this one i stated before (about charging).
THAT is NOT normal... and yes, it may be somehow related... if your phone shows that often, and if it is under warranty, I'd consider going to service center
HTC HD2 (still alive and kicking), I9000, I9300, I9505
The Following User Says Thank You to spamtrash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gloris
Old
Thanks Meter 89
ooops, yeah i totally missed the post about your download mode issue and faulty charging port. if you're in warranty, take it back.