Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,479 Members 49,398 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 All-In-One Thread

Tip us?

ryukiri
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 495

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
First, a big THANK YOU for your work on the ROMs - it is greatly appreciated. As much as others may benefit, though, don't let the school work suffer - just too important.

I saw the PAC ROM thread today. I do think it might have been better to start a new thread for 4.4; I read a page or two before I realized I was reading about 4.3. Kit Kat is quite a different beast in some ways.

I had been looking at Carbon, and it does appear more feature-filled and stable than others (except perhaps now with the PAC ROM). I'll probably watch these two closely for a while before leaping. And since it now appears official that Samsung will have a Kit Kat ROM for the N5110 I might hold off and see what Civato does with it.

One of the important questions is exactly what is lost by ditching TouchWiz, balanced against the new features with an open source ROM.

Lots to think about...

Oh, and no comment re: CyanFox?

Greg
No problem! Haha, well...its kinda too late with that. I've spent way too much time here during first semester and I didn't get the grades I wanted. Hopefully I'll have better self control this semester

And for pac, the team decided to not make new threads and just update the 4.3 one, so I guess I have to keep it like that.

And alright, Carbon was the ROM i stayed on the longest (other than pac, I've used pac as a daily driver ever since the week after I got my tablet). Quick note though, if you are familiar with pac, in past releases we had all the PA settings such as halo, hybrid settings, pie controls, etc. However, with kitkat, PA are still rewriting those main features so we don't have them yet. They will be merged when PA merges them.

To me, nothing was lost since apps could replicate the s-pen functionality and all these roms are a lot faster than touchwiz. Before making a definite choice, I would highly recommend trying them all out first and see which one you enjoy best. If you need anything else, feel free to ask me.

Oh yeah, sorry, I saw it on a sketchy website and kinda hesitated. But now I found their official site. I may need to check xda rules and / or some of the mods to see if I can link to an external site. I think its okay, but I'll go double check before adding it. Do you know who builds it for our device? Seems like there are no nightlies after feb 17th.

CarinaPDX
Old
(Last edited by CarinaPDX; 4th March 2014 at 01:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
The latest post on the CyanFox website says that they don't have device maintainers - they use Cyanogen Mod's current device build database as is. So device-related problems should go back to CM I guess. They say that they won't accept device-specific questions. That might make chasing down non-CM device-specific errors a tad difficult...

That same post says that they are shooting for weekly "nightlies" so they are a bit behind their schedule but not greatly so.

Everything I am reading is very positive about it. My brother has it on his Note 8 so I will take a look when I see him this weekend.

As for the PAC ROM it sounds like the sweet spot in timing would be after the PA settings are released and included in PAC. It never hurts to wait a little after broad release to settle things down - I no longer feel the need to be at the bleeding edge...

Now, back to studying for you!

Greg

ryukiri
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 495

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The latest post on the CyanFox website says that they don't have device maintainers - they use Cyanogen Mod's current device build database as is. So device-related problems should go back to CM I guess. They say that they won't accept device-specific questions. That might make chasing down non-CM device-specific errors a tad difficult...

That same post says that they are shooting for weekly "nightlies" so they are a bit behind their schedule but not greatly so.

Everything I am reading is very positive about it. My brother has it on his Note 8 so I will take a look when I wee him this weekend.

As for the PAC ROM it sounds like the sweet spot in timing would be after the PA settings are released and included in PAC. It never hurts to wait a little after broad release to settle things down - I no longer feel the need to be at the bleeding edge...

Now, back to studying for you!

Greg
Ohh, sorry I didnt see that post :P I wonder why they didn't create a thread here on xda though..I just asked them on their google plus page. If they let me, I might create one.

Yeah thats true, but we still have a bunch of other settings I know many people have been dying for the release of pac so it would have been bad to delay it any further.

Alright, thanks

mandegar93
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Good job!