Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,777 Members 41,625 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Microphone not usable

Tip us?

kentexcitebot
Old
(Last edited by kentexcitebot; 21st June 2014 at 11:00 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] Microphone not usable

Hi,

I'm unable to use my microphone on my Phone. When I call someone they can't hear my voice. When I launch the Google Search Mic, it doesn't detect any sound unless I scream or hit the phone, but the gray circle isn't big (meaning its not picking up too much sound). However, when I run the diagnostics tool within settings, I can hear even whispering.

This issue started since a few days ago. I was at a pool party and had the phone in my pocket. All ports were sealed, phone ON. I was recording audio at the time. I went in through the shallow end and I realized I had my phone in my pocket, 5 mins later. My phone was OFF when I pulled it out. When I powered it back ON after getting a towel to dry it, it did some weird sequence ( SONY logo, then picture of a triangle with a wrench and screwdriver inside). I had to hold the Power + Volume up to get out of it. I powered it back on and it booted into the OS, surprisingly. I found there were no problems...except for the mic. I dried my phone and all, no water internally.

Just yesterday I restarted my phone to clear out some RAM. I notice it was doing this weird sequence again, except that time instead of the triangle with a wrench it was a picture of android, progress bar on the bottom. It rebooted again to the OS, nothing's different.

Here's my configuration:
-STOCK 14.1.G.0.534
-C6903
-No Warranty
-Locked bootloader
-No Root, recoveries, and busybox

I flashed everything to defaults using SUS to see if it's a software problem, but that didn't fix it. I factory reset and it didn't work. What can I do to fix this? Is there an app I can download to amplify the mic (or file)?

Using Earbuds fixes the issue. But I don't prefer it attached to my phone all the time.

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 615
Flash and Update to the latest Firmware and check is the problem persist, wipe everything. If you do not want the latest FW then Update to JB 4.3 FW .136. It doing crazy so I will recommend to upgrade and wipe all. if then the problem still there and it still go out of software then I will start think about something worse than just a Software problem.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4

kentexcitebot
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
Flash and Update to the latest Firmware and check is the problem persist, wipe everything. If you do not want the latest FW then Update to JB 4.3 FW .136. It doing crazy so I will recommend to upgrade and wipe all. if then the problem still there and it still go out of software then I will start think about something worse than just a Software problem.
I forgot to mention on my post: When I use Speaker phone the mic works. I turned off the Mic suppression and tried with speaker phone off, but nothing.

I'm upgrading the phone to latest atm, will report back.

kentexcitebot
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Upgrade did not help me.

Isn't there 2 mics on this phone? Maybe 1 of them broke...not sure.

Is this a hardware issue?

kentexcitebot
Old
(Last edited by kentexcitebot; 22nd June 2014 at 05:20 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
if then the problem still there and it still go out of software then I will start think about something worse than just a Software problem.
I looked at the service manual and saw there are two mics: one on the top at the back of the phone, and one on the bottom inside the speaker. I used Audacity to generate a mid-high range frequency of sound. I connected earbuds to my laptop and put the ends to the mics. The mic on the top back of the phone picks up sound. The mic inside of the speaker doesn't.

EDIT: Started the service menu. Secondary mic is ok, primary mic broken.

I'm convinced this is a Hardware issue. If I send my phone to Sony to service the primary microphone, how much will it cost, minus the inspection fee? Estimates are ok.

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentexcitebot View Post

EDIT: Started the service menu. Secondary mic is ok, primary mic broken.

I'm convinced this is a Hardware issue. If I send my phone to Sony to service the primary microphone, how much will it cost, minus the inspection fee? Estimates are ok.
No body can tell. Just ask them.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4