Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,794 Members 44,717 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL][I9295][AOSP - 4.4][04/15/2014] KT-SGS4 port for Active Intl (04.19.2014)

Tip us?

Pkt_Lnt
Old
Thanks Meter 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6783 View Post
Did you read the topic? this kernel is for 4.4
Sigh, yes, yes I did.
However, due to my sleep deprived brain, my enthusiasm for @spegelius work, and my wanting an AOSP ROM, my comprehension missed that one teensy number. Sorry and thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spegelius View Post
Indeed, it's for AOSP 4.4.x. You propable need to reflash the whole rom to get back original boot.img and kernel modules.
I just wiped and restored my nand, no blood, no foul. Any chance you will work on a 4.4 AOSP ROM for the I-9295? I'd gladly throw another donation your way. Custom ROMs are interesting, but AOSP flies light and fast.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active i9295 GSM /// [[ROM][WIP/Experimental][AOSP][4.4.4_r2] Google Edition for SGS4A (int'l) /// Gravity Box [KK]
Google Galaxy Nexus i9250 GSM /// [ROM] [AOSP] Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P] /// Gravity Box [KK]
Google Nexus 7.2013 /// 4.4.4 [KTU84P] Stock KitKat (unlocked & rooted) /// Gravity Box [KK]

spegelius
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 528

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkt_Lnt View Post
Sigh, yes, yes I did.
However, due to my sleep deprived brain, my enthusiasm for @spegelius work, and my wanting an AOSP ROM, my comprehension missed that one teensy number. Sorry and thanks.

I just wiped and restored my nand, no blood, no foul. Any chance you will work on a 4.4 AOSP ROM for the I-9295? I'd gladly throw another donation your way. Custom ROMs are interesting, but AOSP flies light and fast.
AOSP 4.4 is on my todo list, but currently this kernel is taking my limited time.

I've been debugging the overclocking and results so far:
- there's a default value of 1890Mhz for cpu max clocks. Even through i enable oc steps in KTweaker, that max value is respected and you cannot go over it
- there's a system file per cpu, scaling_booted. Writing value 1 to it changes the Max cpu to 2322Mhz. Now when i change cpu freq, it changes. Sadly, every freq i've tried hangs the phone, even with extra voltage :/. Hang doesn't happen immediately, but it hangs

Now as this is first time for me tweaking cpu freq parameters and what not, i have more questions than before i started debugging this .
- is the scaling_booted value 1 supposed to e written to all cpus? Propably, but onto the next question ->
- what writes the value? KTweaker has an error when starting:
Code:
W/System.err( 8528): java.io.FileNotFoundException: /sys/devices/virtual/sec/tsp/slide2wake: open failed: ENOENT (No such file or directory)
- do i need to set permissions to some files in init scripts? I get some errors like this in dmesg:

Code:
<3>[   27.333740] mpd msm_mpd_attr_em_win_size_min_us_store: Error 4 returned when setting algo param em_win_size_min_us to 100000
<3>[   27.345153] mpd msm_mpd_attr_em_win_size_max_us_store: Error 4 returned when setting algo param em_win_size_max_us to 1000000
<3>[   27.356170] mpd msm_mpd_attr_online_util_pct_min_store: Error 4 returned when setting algo param online_util_pct_min to 3
<3>[   27.367584] mpd msm_mpd_attr_online_util_pct_max_store: Error 4 returned when setting algo param online_util_pct_max to 25
<3>[   27.378356] mpd msm_mpd_attr_em_max_util_pct_store: Error 4 returned when setting algo param em_max_util_pct to 97
The Following User Says Thank You to spegelius For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spegelius
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 528

DONATE TO ME
Another try: modified the initial global max from 1890 to 1944 and now overclocking sticks. The problem is that it isn't stable for some reason; Antutu force closes before even starting the test run. Always. There's some error about stack corruption in logcat. However, all other things work propery, like Quadrant, some apps and even had a walk with Sports Tracker tracking.

Also setting the initial global max to higher level seems to force the cpu freq max to that level regardless of the setting in KTweaker. That's propably why my phone crashed every time i tried writing 1 to scaling_booted (which set the global max to 2322Mhz). More debugging...
The Following User Says Thank You to spegelius For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spegelius
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 528

DONATE TO ME
Found the post-init script which sets scaling_booted to 1. But the problem seems to be that when changing cpu frequency, only the first core is affected or the oveclocking doesn't stick; right now i have max cpu freq set to 1458 and running Stability test. At first cpu0 was running at 1458 and the rest at 1944. After a little while they all jumped to 1890 and now they are running at 1674 for some reason (throttling?)...

Having a WTF moment... is this normal behaviour for mobile cpus? I've only oveclocked desktop stuff and with them you can at least rely on them running at the speed you set them to run. Not liking this...

penē
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Is this kernel still good for the recent cm 11 experimental builds? I liked it a lot, would love to use it again or maybe a new version

spegelius
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 528

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by penē View Post
Is this kernel still good for the recent cm 11 experimental builds? I liked it a lot, would love to use it again or maybe a new version
It should be ok, i had a build of SlimKat running with this kernel without problems. But haven't tested with CM, so can't say for sure

penē
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Runs well with cm 11

The Following User Says Thank You to penē For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]