Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,940 Members 46,923 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

chromecast without internet

Tip us?
 
krizz07
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default chromecast without internet

Appletv will have this feature, hope chromecast will have it too in the future. This will be useful for streaming local contents when on a different house or at a hotel.
http://blog.gsmarena.com/ios-8-lets-...necting-wi-fi/
 
DJames1
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 92
Posts: 258
Join Date: Oct 2013
The Chromecast will never operate without an internet connection because it loads its apps from the internet.

If you load an app like Plex that streams local content, you can continue operating without an internet connection until you exit that app.
 
whitenoise81
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: May 2014
krizz07 means without an access point so WiFi direct for streaming from device to device (something I'd love to have ). Chromecast does have a WiFi connection that you use during set up so this should be possible but who knows.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
Asphyx
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 262
Posts: 1,671
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenoise81 View Post
krizz07 means without an access point so WiFi direct for streaming from device to device (something I'd love to have ). Chromecast does have a WiFi connection that you use during set up so this should be possible but who knows.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
It doesn't matter....It can not load an app from anywhere but the Internet. All Apps must first be checked against a whitelist kept on Google Servers so until such time as Google gets rid of the whitelist you will need an Internet connection to do anything with the device.
 
whitenoise81
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: May 2014
Sounds like something that could.be 'fixed' in firmware ,at least for simple pic/vid playback

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
krizz07
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post
The Chromecast will never operate without an internet connection because it loads its apps from the internet.

If you load an app like Plex that streams local content, you can continue operating without an internet connection until you exit that app.
if the chromecast can keep something temporarily, then it should technically just get it from the host device right? and since it can already broadcast an access point so it can function without internet initially.
 
DJames1
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 92
Posts: 258
Join Date: Oct 2013
Then it would be a Roku. Don't hold your breath waiting for Google, buy a Roku.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
whitenoise81
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post
Then it would be a Roku. Don't hold your breath waiting for Google, buy a Roku.
Doesnt really work for teh way i wanted to use the CC. I Bought an ezcast dongle, its not as slick but its way more flexible
 
debernardis
Old
#9  
debernardis's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 115
Posts: 445
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Acireale, Sicily
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizz07 View Post
Appletv will have this feature, hope chromecast will have it too in the future. This will be useful for streaming local contents when on a different house or at a hotel.
http://blog.gsmarena.com/ios-8-lets-...necting-wi-fi/
It seems you can do that with your chromecast
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2791313

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Ernesto de Bernardis
[Galaxy Note]

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Replace Your Stock Phone App with Reactiv Dialer

Your smartphone’s dialer app is obviously one of the most frequently used apps you … more

How to Factory Reset your Samsung Gear Live Android Wear SmartWatch – XDA Developer TV

Do you want to Factory Reset your Samsung Gear … more

Get Your Special xda:devcon ’14 Hotel And Conference Rate While It Lasts

By now you’ve definitely heard about XDA’s … more

Google Chromecast Rootable Once Again!

Over the six months, theGoogle Chromecasthas gained a considerable amount of official functionality. … more