Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,899 Members 49,048 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Downgrade I535

Tip us?
 
ng4
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: May 2014
Default [Q] Downgrade I535

Hey XDA,

I want to downgrade my verizon s3 to 4.1.2 from 4.3 in order to flash a custom rom (that isn't TW based so I can't use safestrap). I did a google search and found this link:

androidpit[ENTER DOTCOM HERE]/how-to-downgrade-galaxy-s3

I have heard that trying to downgrade will trip Knox and your phone will be bricked. So basically my question is would this work..

**also my contract is about to end, once it ends will Verizon have to unlock my boot loader?
 
landshark68
Old
#2  
landshark68's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 539
Posts: 988
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4 View Post
Hey XDA,

I want to downgrade my verizon s3 to 4.1.2 from 4.3 in order to flash a custom rom (that isn't TW based so I can't use safestrap). I did a google search and found this link:

androidpit[ENTER DOTCOM HERE]/how-to-downgrade-galaxy-s3

I have heard that trying to downgrade will trip Knox and your phone will be bricked. So basically my question is would this work..

**also my contract is about to end, once it ends will Verizon have to unlock my boot loader?
That link had been posted in this forum before. It is for the international version of the s3. It will not work on the Verizon version and will brick your phone. You cannot downgrade the Verizon s3 from 4.3 or higher.

No, Verizon does not have to unlock your bootloader when your contract ends. They have to SIM unlock your phone so it can be used on other carriers. Wrong unlock.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you
The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ng4
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68 View Post
That link had been posted in this forum before. It is for the international version of the s3. It will not work on the Verizon version and will brick your phone. You cannot downgrade the Verizon s3 from 4.3 or higher.

No, Verizon does not have to unlock your bootloader when your contract ends. They have to SIM unlock your phone so it can be used on other carriers. Wrong unlock.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Ok, well there has been a 4.4 update OTA that I haven't taken yet. I know I can easily root if I took it. Has there been any success with flashing roms on that firmware or is it the same verizon garbage and I should just stay on 4.3 because I am more likely to get a boot loader unlock/solution to this issue.

(I'm about ready to sell this phone and buy an at&t phone I have had enough with verizon's overpriced non-service.)
 
landshark68
Old
#4  
landshark68's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 539
Posts: 988
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4 View Post
Ok, well there has been a 4.4 update OTA that I haven't taken yet. I know I can easily root if I took it. Has there been any success with flashing roms on that firmware or is it the same verizon garbage and I should just stay on 4.3 because I am more likely to get a boot loader unlock/solution to this issue.

(I'm about ready to sell this phone and buy an at&t phone I have had enough with verizon's overpriced non-service.)
The 4.4.2 update is also locked down. Pretty much no chance of getting bootloader unlocked on 4.3 or 4.4. If you want to run a custom ROM, you will have to stick with 4.3 and use safestrap to run a custom 4.3 touchwiz ROM. No AOSP, and no custom kernels for you.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you
The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes