Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,682 Members 42,494 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Easy rooting on kitkat 4.4.2

Tip us?

dirtyscout
Old
(Last edited by dirtyscout; 16th June 2014 at 02:16 AM.) Reason: added tethering provisions
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Angry Easy rooting on kitkat 4.4.2

Hey all I was browsing around other galaxy s devices forums stumbled across this forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157. Now I downloaded the towel root and it worked great I'm not on the latest Ota but it should work with that as well. Make sure you use the latest so from here http://download.chainfire.eu/447/Sup...SU-v1.99r4.zip. I just extracted it and used the apk file with great success. No more flashing back and forth in odin.

Added TetheringProvision.apk use root explorer and go to system/apps/ and change the tethering apk and odex to .bak and paste the one posted here. Make sure to change permissions to rx-r-r restart phone and Hotspot should enable or at least it does here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-15-12-20-23.png
Views:	292
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	2800428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-15-12-20-36.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	2800429  
Attached Files
File Type: apk TetheringProvision.apk - [Click for QR Code] (209.7 KB, 55 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtyscout For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

camattin
Old
(Last edited by camattin; 16th June 2014 at 01:42 AM.) Reason: Update to statuses
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyscout View Post
Hey all I was browsing around other galaxy s devices forums stumbled across this forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157. Now I downloaded the towel root and it worked great I'm not on the latest Ota but it should work with that as well. Make sure you use the latest so from here http://download.chainfire.eu/447/Sup...SU-v1.99r4.zip. I just extracted it and used the apk file with great success. No more flashing back and forth in odin
Just used it on mine and it worked just as advertised!

I have taken the latest OTA update (I was previously on the pulled 4.4.2 and then received the 60-someodd MB update last week).

Also adding in that the device still shows official on the status page. I didn't verify the knox counter for myself, but the tr author shows that it did not trip his.
Happily providing a mirror for seanzscreams' awesome Sky Note Air ROMs at http://skynote.camattin.com/!
The Following User Says Thank You to camattin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hanggaw
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyscout View Post

Added TetheringProvision.apk use root explorer and go to system/apps/ and change the tethering apk and odex to .bak and paste the one posted here. Make sure to change permissions to rx-r-r restart phone and Hotspot should enable or at least it does here.
Can you elaborate on the "change permissions to rx-r-r"? How do you do that?

Thanks.

blaz1nr
Old
Thanks Meter 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanggaw View Post
Can you elaborate on the "change permissions to rx-r-r"? How do you do that?

Thanks.
Firstly mount system in whatever file manager you use after giving it root access. Navigate to system/app long press on the apk. Select option to change permissions. On ES file Manager which I suggest you use,look at pic below it will show you what boxes to select.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rwrxrx.png
Views:	180
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	2803316  

"Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep, to the very toes he trembles, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins....."
This might be your dream,but it's my RULES!
The Following User Says Thank You to blaz1nr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tlyons1022
Old
(Last edited by tlyons1022; 19th June 2014 at 02:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
I gave this a try on the newer NE9 with no luck. It doesn't get past the AT&T "verification" that I have tethering on my plan.

Any ideas?
Using Tapatalk

dazzawill
Old
(Last edited by dazzawill; 25th June 2014 at 06:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Tried this on a stock I9295 running 4.2.2 but SU wont install binary as it says it cant. Tried Busybox installer and it says the phones rooted but fails when trying to install any busybox version. Anyone else tried on 4.2.2 with success?

EDIT : Tried again on stock 4.4.2 and it works perfectly

xAjCx
Old
Thanks Meter 33

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzawill View Post
Tried this on a stock I9295 running 4.2.2 but SU wont install binary as it says it cant. Tried Busybox installer and it says the phones rooted but fails when trying to install any busybox version. Anyone else tried on 4.2.2 with success?
I believe this is for the i537 (USA AT&T version of the S4 Active) and not the international i9295 version
Current:
Samsung Galaxy S5 (G900T) - Rooted + SIM Unlocked w/ XtreStoLite v.1.2.1c
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (i537) - Rooted + SIM Unlocked + AWS w/ stock 4.4.2 NE3
Sony Xperia Tablet Z (SGP311) - Rooted w/ stock 4.2.2

Retired:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (P5113T) - Rooted CWM UnlockedBL w/ AOKP 4.1.2
Samsung Galaxy S2 (i777) - Rooted CWM UnlockedSIM w/ AOCP7.0 4.4.2
Samsung Captivate (i897) - Rooted UnlockedSIM w/ Stock 2.3

hanggaw
Old
(Last edited by hanggaw; 22nd June 2014 at 11:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Success!! I was able to root and use the tethering application using the instructions above. I have the NE3 version.

It does ask you to call 611 when you turn on the hotspot though...but the it connects a few seconds later and stays on.

Is there a way to prevent the annoying message to call 611 when you turn on the tethering app?

Thanks again.