App Review: Calculating Your Android Calculator Options

Sure, everyone has a default Calculator and its something that you dont think about … more

MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

[Q] Deleting Bloatware

23rd June 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag DFW, TX
Thanks Meter: 1

24 posts
More
I recently rooted my HTC One (M8) so that I can get rid of the bloatware that the phone comes with. However, I seem to be unable to remove the apps. I used Root Uninstaller Pro, Titanium Backup, and going to system/app and system/priv-app using Root Explorer (then reboot), but they continue to come back on. Does anybody know how to permanently remove the bloatware? I am almost to the point that I would just back up the ROM and install a CyanogenMod 11 Nightly.

The Bloatware that I want to remove:
Amazon
Google Drive
Gmail
Kid Mode
Lookout Security
Parent Dashboard
Photos (Google)
Play Books
Play Movies and TV
Play Newsstand
POLARIS Office 5
Stocks
T-Mobile TV
(Possibly) T-Mobile Name ID
Visual Voicemail
Carrier IQ
23rd June 2014, 05:54 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 9

105 posts
More
Why don't you just disable each of those apps from within the settings/apps menu?
23rd June 2014, 06:04 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag DFW, TX

24 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingels

Why don't you just disable each of those apps from within the settings/apps menu?

They do not show up on any of the three tabs (Downloaded, SD Card, Running) of Settings/Apps.
23rd June 2014, 07:49 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 9

105 posts
More
The fourth tab, "All" is where I found them. I have selected "uninstall updates" and "disable" from there. After that, the apps are disabled.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 AM ----------

The Following User Says Thank You to pingels For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2014, 08:22 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag DFW, TX

24 posts
More
Thank you, I didn't see the fourth tab. Though I found another way to permanently remove those apps. It was posted in the HTC One (M8) generic Forum.

Here it is if anybody wants it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2702575
25th June 2014, 03:28 PM   |  #6  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 69

341 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Commander

I recently rooted my HTC One (M8) so that I can get rid of the bloatware that the phone comes with. However, I seem to be unable to remove the apps. I used Root Uninstaller Pro, Titanium Backup, and going to system/app and system/priv-app using Root Explorer (then reboot), but they continue to come back on. Does anybody know how to permanently remove the bloatware? I am almost to the point that I would just back up the ROM and install a CyanogenMod 11 Nightly.

The Bloatware that I want to remove:
Amazon
Google Drive
Gmail
Kid Mode
Lookout Security
Parent Dashboard
Photos (Google)
Play Books
Play Movies and TV
Play Newsstand
POLARIS Office 5
Stocks
T-Mobile TV
(Possibly) T-Mobile Name ID
Visual Voicemail
Carrier IQ

seems like your issue is sort of resolved but the reason you were having difficulty is there is write protection on the system partition. it can be removed by flashing a custom kernel or there is a mod that will just remove the write protection.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bloatware, htc one (m8), root
Previous Thread Next Thread