Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Hosts file corrupt?

OP Louietheflyisme

12th June 2014, 11:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hello everyone,

I use an LG Optimus L4 II (e445). I rooted it but then decided I had too much on it and decided to restore to factory settings. It all worked fine. However, when I got to the Google Account sign in page, it gave me the "couldn't establish a reliable connection to the server" error message. I followed every single tutorial I could find online as to how to solve this. None of them worked. Eventually, I re-rooted it (using VRoot) and managed to download an apk of ES file explorer and locate the hosts file. This had one line that shouldn't have been there:

127.234.104.240 android.clients.google.com

From what I can make out, this is the address of google's sign in servers. So somehow (I suspect malware/dodgy rooting program?) my hosts file has been edited to stop me logging into google. Restoring the device does nothing, neither does unrooting/rerooting. When I open up the file in ES (when rooted) and edit out the bad lines, I can't save for some reason- I think the /system folder is write protected.

So I tried to make the /system folder writeable. I used the android sdk to do this (mount -o command) but this did not do anything. I downloaded the mount /system apk and installed that, it did not help either. I tried /pull and /push on the hosts file to edit it and send it back using the apk. I could successfully pull and edit it, but it would not let me push it back. I'm kind of stuck here. I can effectively not use my phone- I can't use most apps and can't download any, and have no other solutions up my sleeve. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Louis

(PS I hope I've posted correctly, I'm a n00b to this website )
22nd June 2014, 02:22 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Prompt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louietheflyisme

Hello everyone,

I use an LG Optimus L4 II (e445). I rooted it but then decided I had too much on it and decided to restore to factory settings. It all worked fine. However, when I got to the Google Account sign in page, it gave me the "couldn't establish a reliable connection to the server" error message. I followed every single tutorial I could find online as to how to solve this. None of them worked. Eventually, I re-rooted it (using VRoot) and managed to download an apk of ES file explorer and locate the hosts file. This had one line that shouldn't have been there:

127.234.104.240 android.clients.google.com

From what I can make out, this is the address of google's sign in servers. So somehow (I suspect malware/dodgy rooting program?) my hosts file has been edited to stop me logging into google. Restoring the device does nothing, neither does unrooting/rerooting. When I open up the file in ES (when rooted) and edit out the bad lines, I can't save for some reason- I think the /system folder is write protected.

So I tried to make the /system folder writeable. I used the android sdk to do this (mount -o command) but this did not do anything. I downloaded the mount /system apk and installed that, it did not help either. I tried /pull and /push on the hosts file to edit it and send it back using the apk. I could successfully pull and edit it, but it would not let me push it back. I'm kind of stuck here. I can effectively not use my phone- I can't use most apps and can't download any, and have no other solutions up my sleeve. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Louis

(PS I hope I've posted correctly, I'm a n00b to this website )

After trying for a few weeks now, I've still had no success. One idea has come to me though- installing a rom. Would downloading a custom ROM change my hosts file? Also, if so, could anyone recommend one that is similar to default android? One last idea that I've got at the moment is sonehow completely wiping the hard drive of the phone and reinstalling androud on it, though I have no idea whether that is even possible, and if so, how to do it. I would really appreciate some help here!

Thanks again,

Louis
22nd June 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #3  

19 posts
After reading, I can only talk as one who knows less than you.
Let me say this from the start.
Root=/= unlock bootloader
Find a way to unlock boot loader first, with a Google search.
Use fastboot to flash a recovery (.IMG) made for your phone. fastboot is something like adb.
Let's just say that that is more complicated than rooting. It gave me a headache at first.
_______/
Pertaining to your problem, how about a reflash of the system image?
The official lg mobile support tool may help you with this.
Search for your phone model on the lg support page, look under manuals and downloads, then under software update.
23rd June 2014, 12:39 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2270A

After reading, I can only talk as one who knows less than you.
Let me say this from the start.
Root=/= unlock bootloader
Find a way to unlock boot loader first, with a Google search.
Use fastboot to flash a recovery (.IMG) made for your phone. fastboot is something like adb.
Let's just say that that is more complicated than rooting. It gave me a headache at first.
_______/
Pertaining to your problem, how about a reflash of the system image?
The official lg mobile support tool may help you with this.
Search for your phone model on the lg support page, look under manuals and downloads, then under software update.

I'm not entirely sure I understand you here, but I'll try. What would unlocking the bootloader do to my phone? Would it enable r/w on the system folder? Also, what is a reflash of the system image? How would I do that?

I'll try these things if I can, but would still appreciate help.
23rd June 2014, 09:45 AM   |  #5  

19 posts
Look around on http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Basic_concepts?
It should give you some info in flashing and unlocking.
It can give people quite a headache, with all those terms.
________
As for the part under the line, I'm talking about a restoring of the phone to the default state via official methods.
Instructions would be given by the official support programme.
23rd June 2014, 11:10 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2270A

Look around on [I can't post urls yet ]
It should give you some info in flashing and unlocking.
It can give people quite a headache, with all those terms.
________
As for the part under the line, I'm talking about a restoring of the phone to the default state via official methods.
Instructions would be given by the official support programme.

Ok, so from what I can work out, cyanogen does not support my device. Would doing it for a similar device work? Are there any ROMs that support my device?

under the line, restoring the phone via the official ways actually just wipes the user data, not including the HOSTS file which is what I need to wipe. What I really need it is basically a ROM that completely wipes my phone and reinstalls some version of android.

Any other ideas?
23rd June 2014, 11:45 AM   |  #7  

19 posts
While there may not be official support for a phone for a custom ROM, you may be able to find unofficial ports/versions if you search for it in the forums.
From what I know, a system reinstall via official methods wipes data and almost everything else, then downloads from its servers system files to be installed to the phone. At least, my phone was reverted to a stock ROM when I restored it after using a custom ROM. It may be different for some, but generally, this is what I think.
Important: only use a ROM made for your device model only, do not use the ones made for a similar phone, the small differences are no longer small in this case and will cause a system error(?)
Generally, once you have successfully unlocked boot loader using a method for your phone, the instructions afterwards are generally the same for all phones. You'll be able to get better answers in the threads specifically for your phone, so try to look for one and look for the already tried methods,
Here's one:
<You'll need to quote to copy link>
Last edited by J2270A; 23rd June 2014 at 11:51 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread