Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,416 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Screen resolution through DVI adapter

Tip us?

iRet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default [Q] Screen resolution through DVI adapter

I am experiencing weird bug. Connecting to DVI monitor through adapter direct forces 640x480. Through AV receiver black screen at all, only audio works. I guess my monitor or adapter is the reason, however this setup works well with raspberry pi (1280x1024).
Does anybody using HDMI to DVI adapters to connect Fire Tv? Is there any way to force resolution? Changing through gui is disabled for me.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app

pope523
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm having a similar problem. My TV is old and doesn't have an HDMI port, so I'm using an HDMI to DVI adapter as I did with my Pi. My screen goes black right after "Checking for Updates"

This is apparently an HDCP issue, which I don't know much about. My TV's DVI port is supposed to be HDCP compatible. There are "active" adapters that can fool the Fire TV and make it work, apparently, but I'm trying to get it working without having to spend another $30 on another stupid adapter.
The Following User Says Thank You to pope523 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iRet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
It's a very disappointing bug, I guess. When I connecting it through receiver my monitor shows 1280x720 but screen is always black. However rarely I can catch flickering with signal. It means monitor support this (720p) resolution. On direct connection it works, but at 640x480 and not allow to change resolution. I thinking about buying optical audio cable to connect it to receiver directly but it's about 30$ and resolutions is so odd. I hope this will be fixed with new OTA. So if anyone is thinking about to buy Fire TV to use with DVI monitor, right now it looks like a bad idea. I'd rather bought something other if know that.

pope523
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRet View Post
It's a very disappointing bug, I guess. When I connecting it through receiver my monitor shows 1280x720 but screen is always black. However rarely I can catch flickering with signal. It means monitor support this (720p) resolution. On direct connection it works, but at 640x480 and not allow to change resolution. I thinking about buying optical audio cable to connect it to receiver directly but it's about 30$ and resolutions is so odd. I hope this will be fixed with new OTA. So if anyone is thinking about to buy Fire TV to use with DVI monitor, right now it looks like a bad idea. I'd rather bought something other if know that.
I got my TOSLINK cable for about $5 (with Prime shipping) from Amazon, and a TOSLINK to stereo RCA converter from eBay for $13.

When you get the black screen, if you unplug the HDMI and plug it back in with the right timing (fairly quickly but not too quickly) you can kind of make it work. It looks like crap but the menus are navigable. The first time, I had colorful static with the clear picture flashing through every 5 seconds or so. I reseated the HDMI cable again a few more times and it came up clear (except for the terrible resolution).
The Following User Says Thank You to pope523 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iRet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Thank, I will check for cheaper dealer. The price I've talking about is for belkin cable. As for you hack thanks for information may be it will be helpful for someone. Behaviour you describing stopped for me after first OTA. Right now I always get crap resolution on direct connection without flickering. But before update it flickers continuously too. I hope next OTA will fix it. May be drop a line to amazon is make sense?

Sent from my LG-G2 using XDA Free mobile app

iRet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Finally I've bought a cheap TOSLINK cable, and was really disappointed to find it almost quiet. For an hour trying to switch different modes on Fire TV and AV receiver. My last hope was factory reset and it helps, so, I'm with sound right now it's much better, but still on a crap resolution. I hope Amazon will fit it, I believe hardware is ok.

iRet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Sound works for a day and again disappeared. I think for some reason device forced routing it to HDMI. I've just leave it along for a day and after woke up uncovered no sound. However receiver show, that signal is ok, if not it is blinking. But signal is silence. I started to think about selling this piece of crap.

iRet
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
I found some info about this bug. It's a well known android problem.
Some sources mention it was fixed since 3.8 kernel issued.
Current firmware incorporates 3.4. I hope next update will fix this.