HK Samsung Galaxy S5 Region Free

Search This thread

DarkGuyver

Mar 12, 2011
Newport City
I was just wondering if the Samsung Galaxy S 5 in Hong Kong are region free, like it's predecessor the Samsung Galaxy S 4? As I maybe going on a trip to Hong Kong soon and I'm considering purchasing a Galaxy S 5 while I'm there.

gregwee

Jun 13, 2009
I was just wondering if the Samsung Galaxy S 5 in Hong Kong are region free, like it's predecessor the Samsung Galaxy S 4? As I maybe going on a trip to Hong Kong soon and I'm considering purchasing a Galaxy S 5 while I'm there.

Yes. All phones in Hong Kong are unlocked. You can use any SIM card and they will work.

Current price for the SM-G900F (4G/LTE) is about HK$4980 at Apliu Street. This is the local model with 1 year warranty from Samsung Hong Kong. There used to be export models for the 4G/LTE without warranty for about HK$4680, but I haven't seen any recently. For 3G models, SM-G900H, the price is around $4000 for the export models.

Reactions: DarkGuyver

DarkGuyver

Mar 12, 2011
Newport City
Excellent so all HK SGS 5 phones are Region Free straight out the box and you don't have to activate them or anything before taking them abroad and using them! Thanks for the quick reply! :good::good:

Does Broadway and Fortress stores stock both the SM-G900F and SM-G900H models of the SGS 5?

gregwee

Jun 13, 2009
Excellent so all HK SGS 5 phones are Region Free straight out the box and you don't have to activate them or anything before taking them abroad and using them! Thanks for the quick reply! :good::good:

Does Broadway and Fortress stores stock both the SM-G900F and SM-G900H models of the SGS 5?

I believe Broadway and Fortress stock the SM-G900F, but I'm not sure if they have the SM-G900H. The G900F is the official model for Hong Kong. BTW, Broadway and Fortress are selling the phone at the manufacturer's retail price and will be more expensive than if you buy it at Apliu Street.

gregwee

Jun 13, 2009
I've just realised that you're asking about region lock, not SIM lock.... I'm still pretty sure that HK phones are NOT region locked as my G900F does NOT have any notice on the box about region lock.... However, to be really really sure this won't be a problem, simply buy a local prepaid SIM for about HK$20, and use that to in the phone to activate it and make a 5 minute phone call first, then, the region lock will no longer be an issue..

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
All hong kong official stock is unlocked, it's illegal in hong kong to lock a phone whether it's region or sim.

Hong kong GS5 are SM900F at HKD5998, no other version is available.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Yes. All phones in Hong Kong are unlocked. You can use any SIM card and they will work.

Current price for the SM-G900F (4G/LTE) is about HK$4980 at Apliu Street. This is the local model with 1 year warranty from Samsung Hong Kong. There used to be export models for the 4G/LTE without warranty for about HK$4680, but I haven't seen any recently. For 3G models, SM-G900H, the price is around $4000 for the export models.

Are you sure thats a official hong kong stock and not grey import, it's too cheap.

gregwee

Jun 13, 2009
All hong kong official stock is unlocked, it's illegal in hong kong to lock a phone whether it's region or sim.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Are you sure thats a official hong kong stock and not grey import, it's too cheap.

Yes... Just went about 2 weeks ago to Apliu Street, and almost every shop is selling 行 SM-G900F now for $4990..

Grey import model only had the 3G version for around $4000..

Reactions: kms108

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
Yes... Just went about 2 weeks ago to Apliu Street, and almost every shop is selling 行 SM-G900F now for $4990..

I have the sm900F now, i'm waiting for the korean upgrade version.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I think they are making way for the upgrade version.

DarkGuyver

Mar 12, 2011
Newport City
I have the sm900F now, i'm waiting for the korean upgrade version.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I think they are making way for the upgrade version.

I thought that the 3G model (SM-G900H) would be available for purchase in retail outlets in Hong Kong. As I know for a fact that the 3G model (SM-G900H) has been released exclusively in Asia.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I believe Broadway and Fortress stock the SM-G900F, but I'm not sure if they have the SM-G900H. The G900F is the official model for Hong Kong. BTW, Broadway and Fortress are selling the phone at the manufacturer's retail price and will be more expensive than if you buy it at Apliu Street.
    I've just realised that you're asking about region lock, not SIM lock.... I'm still pretty sure that HK phones are NOT region locked as my G900F does NOT have any notice on the box about region lock.... However, to be really really sure this won't be a problem, simply buy a local prepaid SIM for about HK$20, and use that to in the phone to activate it and make a 5 minute phone call first, then, the region lock will no longer be an issue..