Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] USB hub and external storage

OP aensdit

23rd June 2014, 03:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Has anyone tried using External storage over a USB hub with Stickmount? I have an unpowered hub and a portable external HDD. I figure this isn't working because of lack of power. I would like to know if anyone has used a combination of unpowered hub/powered drive or powered hub/ unpowered drive, with any level of success.
23rd June 2014, 05:09 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 21

66 posts
Strange USB experience
Same thing here.

With the unpowered hub it does not see my 500gb drive.

I've been trying to figure it out.

Some say Stickmount would not auto-mount for them, yet my 32gb flash drive(fat32) auto-mounts at boot and displays a message
reported from Stickmount indicating the successful mount.
I just now unintalled Stickmount and re-booted and it still auto-mounts - but no message now.

I had tried several usb mount apps before and one of them must have stuck. Can't fine it with Titanium. Not sure what it was.

Can anyone tell me how to track it down? It might be useful. Maybe rooting changed something. IDK

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

I also tried this one without the hub.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....umswatcherotg

It would display two 500gb drives but I could not click the mount button without my mouse and the auto-mount option didn't seem to work.
23rd June 2014, 06:51 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 68

251 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jljaries42@gmail.com

Same thing here.

With the unpowered hub it does not see my 500gb drive.

I've been trying to figure it out.

Some say Stickmount would not auto-mount for them, yet my 32gb flash drive(fat32) auto-mounts at boot and displays a message
reported from Stickmount indicating the successful mount.
I just now unintalled Stickmount and re-booted and it still auto-mounts - but no message now.

I had tried several usb mount apps before and one of them must have stuck. Can't fine it with Titanium. Not sure what it was.

Can anyone tell me how to track it down? It might be useful. Maybe rooting changed something. IDK

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

I also tried this one without the hub.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....umswatcherotg

It would display two 500gb drives but I could not click the mount button without my mouse and the auto-mount option didn't seem to work.

It's probably the hub/drive combo. I have a unpowered hub that the FTV can see my wireless mouse but not my Toshiba 1TB. But I have powered hub that I can connect and see the Toshiba drive.
23rd June 2014, 07:12 AM   |  #4  
Flag Durban
Thanks Meter: 70

193 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairnage

It's probably the hub/drive combo. I have a unpowered hub that the FTV can see my wireless mouse but not my Toshiba 1TB. But I have powered hub that I can connect and see the Toshiba drive.

I don't think any unpowered usb hub will be able to spin a harddrive at 5900RPM or 7200RPM. Molex or Sata power connectors deliver 12V and USB only delivers 5V. It may work if you have an external SSD, but I'm not so sure.

My unpowered usb hub powers my 32GB Flash Drive, Flirc, Bluetooth dongle for Keyboard and a USB Mouse.
23rd June 2014, 04:12 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 21

66 posts
I was able to mount a 1TB, externally powered HDD and navigate the folders.

Tried to play videos in XBMC. There was sound but no picture on every file I tried.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread