Ask a question

No registration required

latest radio

OP jb_alphamale

23rd June 2014, 03:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 49

377 posts
I'd like to know which is the latest radio that I can flash on my phone.
Here is what I have:
G900W8
Baseband version:G900W8VLU1AND1
I'm hoping to improve reception which is terrible compared to other phones around me (iPhone and BB) in the same spot and same carrier.
Thank you.
xtechx
23rd June 2014, 03:26 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
**** it
Last edited by xtechx; 23rd June 2014 at 04:31 PM.
23rd June 2014, 03:33 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

377 posts
It is more simpler than that. I work in a basement and and I have no signal at all. No data, no calls no text. No signal icon. Other phones have. Indeed weak and sometimes off-on-off but they can use the service.
Same situation in the basement of my house. I've read that this is a common problem with S5 and I was hoping a new radio would improve the situation. It is not this device. Already swapped with another new one. Same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtechx

Antenna design plays a factor. That being said, are you comparing the actual dBm and ASU/RSSI/RSRP values? Or simply "bars" which will not give you a true indication of value as they vary greatly per manufacturer (some falsely inflating them)?

xtechx
23rd June 2014, 03:44 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
**** it
Last edited by xtechx; 23rd June 2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: context/syntax edit
23rd June 2014, 04:22 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

377 posts
Xtechx. It is my turn to say that IMHO you over complicate it. Yes all the phones are on the same carrier (see the OP). All of them are on LTE. It does not matter how different is the HW. It matters the final result. NO SIGNAL. If you're trying to say that I do not compare apples with apples well I'm not. I compare the flagships from all the am manufacturers in the same spot, connected to the same tower, same carrier and same service.
I respect your knowledge and time to try to explain how many factors are in the same equation but the truth it lays naked in front of me.
The S5 has a weaker radio than other phones compared in the same basic conditions.
Coming back to my OP. Is there any new radio than AND1 for my device? I'm looking for that slighter better performance which may give me that minimum level to connect.
P.S.Without relevance and trying to be modest but I have a major in microelectronics and specialized in radio so before posting here I considered all the necessary factors.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtechx

still a very poor comparison IMHO, whether you think it's simple or not. different phones have different antenna design, amps, chipset, power levels, etc.

also are you all on the same carrier? what service are you comparing? GPRS/EDGE? UMTS/HSPA/DC-HSPA? LTE?

for example if your carrier doesn't support edge, but the carrier the phones you are comparing to do, then you are more likely NOT going to receive signal. try forcing GSM/EDGE if your carrier supports it (different power levels are typically used for different radio modes). also, very important if they support either 700MHz or 850Mhz bands, as lower radio frequencies propagate better through obstacles (building materials or otherwise). if your carrier only supports the upper bands then it is also less likely to work in that environment (basement, inside, etc.). the ground/earth itself, rocks, steel reinforced concrete and other objects/building materials are very unforgiving to RF.

a new radio might give you slightly better performance but in regards to increasing dBm or ASU/RSSI/RSRP, well that is going to be extremely marginal of a difference if at all. unless they change the parameters they've used, which they often don't...it's usually for compatibility/performance with the actual antenna you are connecting to at the tower side

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread