Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,934 Members 37,710 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi Hotspot on FireTV?

Tip us?

KarlP
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default WiFi Hotspot on FireTV?

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the possibility of having the Fire TV work as a hotspot?

Here's what I'd like to do.

Install FTP Server to create a an FTP site to "share" out the contents of the attached USB drive. Create a USB hotspot that I can then attach several devices to stream content.

I don't need to share the Ethernet port really, I just want a personal wireless network that can be used in a pinch. Otherwise, I need to load different media files to different devices, which I've been doing up to this point, but just putting everything on a larger drive would be easier.

I spent a few hours fiddling with WiFi Tether with mixed results just getting the WiFi network going. Before I sink too much more time into it, maybe others might know if it's even possible.

byrdcfmma
Old
Thanks Meter 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlP View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the possibility of having the Fire TV work as a hotspot?

Here's what I'd like to do.

Install FTP Server to create a an FTP site to "share" out the contents of the attached USB drive. Create a USB hotspot that I can then attach several devices to stream content.

I don't need to share the Ethernet port really, I just want a personal wireless network that can be used in a pinch. Otherwise, I need to load different media files to different devices, which I've been doing up to this point, but just putting everything on a larger drive would be easier.

I spent a few hours fiddling with WiFi Tether with mixed results just getting the WiFi network going. Before I sink too much more time into it, maybe others might know if it's even possible.
I thought of that as well, just unsure how to make it happen. Other generic streaming boxes like Matricom MX2 can be setup as a hotspot, so if we can get at the raw android settings, it may have the capability to do it already built in