Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,145 Members 42,062 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it true that Z2 made from Aluminum?

Tip us?

shaf46
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 46
i think i saw something on a forum / website that says that the china mobile one is longer and made out of plastic and the international version aluminum i have sent my z2 for an exchange waiting for it to come back on 29 then ill give my revire stay tune

samppis
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSforza View Post
The frame is aluminium, just like cars have an aluminium cage to protect the structure Z2 has one.
Isn't it very, very rare for cars to have an aluminium frame?

Why do people generally prefer aluminium frames on phones? What features does aluminium enable? I have only had problems with aluminium body vs. plastic body. A well designed fiberglass-reinforced polycarbonate frame will absorb impacts superbly and it will bend back to its original shape after deforming. Aluminium frame will stay deformed and is basically ruined if you for example sit on your phone accidentally. Don't ask how I know.

SkyS1gn
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by El.Guaje View Post
Someone has blammed that Z2 has not made from Aluminum, plastic instead.

But I believe that Z2 has aluminum frame and the plastic is just an "add-on" for holding components inside the devices.

I need a strong statement to prove that Z2 has aluminum frame, but I have not hand on the device so I can not give a clear conclusion.

The device in the picture is D6503.

Dude this is the japanese version...Its completely differend.
The Following User Says Thank You to SkyS1gn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

El.Guaje
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
I'm sure that is D6503

joshnichols189
Old
Thanks Meter 1385
If you look at the comparison.. the only plastic ones are the ones from China, and you can tell which ones are plastic because they lack the three holes at the bottom and the lanyard holes. The aluminum ones have these.
Iphone 4S Nokia N9
LG Voyager OG Sidekick
Blackberry Tour 9630 Blackberry Storm 9530
Motorola Droid Droid Bionic; Droid X
HTC Droid Incredible HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Droid Incredible 2 HTC Trophy
HTC Rezound; HTC One S HTC One X HTC G2
Asus Transformer Nook Tablet
Samsung Fascinate Galaxy Nexus Galaxy Note
Galaxy SII i9100 White Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy SIII i9300 Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

vicalam
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The frame is pure fibre reinforced polycarbonate however the aluminium trimmings are moulded into the plastic frame during injection process. Totally different to Z1 which has a milled and machined single block of aluminium sandwiched between two plastic bezels.

LotoTutu
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Default polycarbonate plus aluminium

The grey middle part of the frame is made of alumminium. And the purple/white/black edge is made of polycarbonate , one kind of plastic.

Envious_Data
Old
Thanks Meter 663
i think this depends on where you get your Z2

My freind n his GF have Z2s and his GFs one is all tempered glass and aluminum even the flaps but his one is aluminum with plastic flaps and some terible crappy glass on the back and mine is the exact same just with metal button as opposed to his plastic ones :/
Devices:
Sony Xperia Z2

Roms:
Envi-Rom Z2/S

sumerland
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I would really like to see a photo of an aluminium-frame Z2, wherever in the world that might be sold. Ideally with the flaps open. Behind the Z1's flaps one clearly sees the aluminium frame whereas the white Z2 (I bought at Sony Store in Germany) shows nothing but plastic. Another place showing the plastic core of the Z2 is the lead through in the bottom left corner. I guess this is more difficult to distinguish with the black versions.

I know that plastic does not need to be a bad thing but I'm not so fond of the Z2's finish. Rough edges, slight greyish cast here and there... definitely a step back compared to the Z1.