Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,710 Members 39,878 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] [2.3+] DRAGON GEO - Interactive Map Guide for Dragon Quest Series

Tip us?

CKTurbo128
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Sign [APP] [2.3+] DRAGON GEO - Interactive Map Guide for Dragon Quest Series

Hey guys, just wanted to share an app that I developed recently. DRAGON GEO is an interactive map app akin to Google Maps, but displays maps from Square-Enix's Dragon Quest RPG series. Those of you that have been playing RPGs since the early days of the original NES will better recognize this series as Dragon Warrior. DRAGON GEO allows for viewing world, region, castle, town, dungeon, and shrine maps from Dragon Warrior / Quest I-VII. It also includes maps from the remake versions that later appeared on the Super Famicom, Game Boy Color, and Nintendo DS. As an added nostalgic touch, the entire interface uses the old Dragon Warrior command window style, complete with music and sound effects from the original Dragon Warrior / Quest games. If you're a Dragon Warrior / Quest fan, you're in for a big treat!

More about the origin of DRAGON GEO: Project Geo was originally used as a way for me to get familiar with Android development, roughly six months ago. During development, I've learned quite a bit about developing on the Android platform, such as programming gestures, loading and playing media files, displaying large images, UX design handling memory optimization issues, and much more. Although I still have far to go in terms of Android development (and mobile development in general), I'm proud to have been able to put out a quality app that I quite enjoyed working on in the available spare time I had.

I'd like to thank the sites & people that have made these maps and sprites available online. Without them, DRAGON GEO would not be possible:
  • D-Navi
  • Dragon's Den
  • FlyingArmor
  • King Zenith
  • NES Maps
  • NES SNES Sprites
  • Realm of Darkness
  • RPG Legion
  • Sprite Database
  • x_loto
  • Zophar's Domain

CKTurbo128
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
DRAGON GEO has been updated to 1.03! Here are the following changes:

* OPTIONS is now displayed over world maps.
* Several minor layout changes made.

The OPTIONS and CREDITS now display as fragments, and no longer run as separate activities.

Other than that, there are no significant changes.

(Posted from a Samsung Galaxy Note II device.)
Tags
android, dragon geo, dragon quest, dragon warrior, maps