Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,360 Members 50,600 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What component is this? [Q]

Tip us?
 
shimp208
Old
#11  
shimp208's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,547
Posts: 2,238
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by irepair18 View Post
Where could I find a good RIFF box and how do I use it? I know you have to solder some pins but how do you know which ones? Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated. I have some basic knowledge on the subject but enough to start attempting these types of repairs. Thanks in advance.
A good box for JTAG is the RIFF box which you can find out where to purchase one from here. For which pins you have to solder the RIFF box has a feature which allows you to test which pins are which on the board that you need to solder. I would also highly recommend checking out this series of video tutorials, as well as this video on a HTC Wildfire S being resurrected as it gives some what of a tutorial on the process involved. Another possibility that may or may not work is a jig, what the jig does is it forces the device into download mode and you connect it to the micro usb port on the phone, you can purchase a usb jig from here.
 
irepair18
Old
#12  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default Does it have to be activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208 View Post
A good box for JTAG is the RIFF box which you can find out where to purchase one from here. For which pins you have to solder the RIFF box has a feature which allows you to test which pins are which on the board that you need to solder. I would also highly recommend checking out this series of video tutorials, as well as this video on a HTC Wildfire S being resurrected as it gives some what of a tutorial on the process involved. Another possibility that may or may not work is a jig, what the jig does is it forces the device into download mode and you connect it to the micro usb port on the phone, you can purchase a usb jig from here.
I checked out some RIFF boxes and I was about to buy one when I noticed a warning about "activating" the RIFF box. Does this mean that if it isn't activated it won't work? Does the RIFF box need any updates and if so can I update without being activated?
 
shimp208
Old
#13  
shimp208's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,547
Posts: 2,238
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by irepair18 View Post
I checked out some RIFF boxes and I was about to buy one when I noticed a warning about "activating" the RIFF box. Does this mean that if it isn't activated it won't work? Does the RIFF box need any updates and if so can I update without being activated?
I'm not a an expert with regards to the RIFF box, but I believe it will still work without being activated but you won't be able to use many of it's features such as the official downloads on the RIFF servers and other important features. As far as updates are concerned, you should always try to use the latest RIFF box updates as each update adds support for more devices and other feature updates. More information about RIFF box licence activation can be found here.
 
irepair18
Old
(Last edited by irepair18; 22nd June 2014 at 09:27 PM.) Reason: Forgot to include link.
#14  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default JTAG connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208 View Post
I'm not a an expert with regards to the RIFF box, but I believe it will still work without being activated but you won't be able to use many of it's features such as the official downloads on the RIFF servers and other important features. As far as updates are concerned, you should always try to use the latest RIFF box updates as each update adds support for more devices and other feature updates. More information about RIFF box licence activation can be found here.
Last question... I've also seen some connectors that claim to connect to the RIFF box and to the board. They're purpose is to avoid any soldering on the board. They just connect to the pins and to the RIFF box. Are these cables reliable? What are the pros/cons? Will I be able to use them with any phone model? I believe they're called JTAG Molex cables but I'm not sure.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271527969827?nav=SEARCH

Here's the link to the connectors I saw. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
 
shimp208
Old
#15  
shimp208's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,547
Posts: 2,238
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by irepair18 View Post
Last question... I've also seen some connectors that claim to connect to the RIFF box and to the board. They're purpose is to avoid any soldering on the board. They just connect to the pins and to the RIFF box. Are these cables reliable? What are the pros/cons? Will I be able to use them with any phone model? I believe they're called JTAG Molex cables but I'm not sure.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271527969827?nav=SEARCH

Here's the link to the connectors I saw. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
I have no personnel experience with the molex cables. I have heard from others though that they do the job well and are reliable, and I believe you can use them on almost any model. Sorry I can't provide you with better information, I only have a little experience with JTAG.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes