No registration required

Incomplete SystemUI.apk?

OP NekoMichi

23rd June 2014, 04:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

6 posts
UPDATE:
I was able to get apktool running on my Windows partition. After decompiling SystemUI.apk, I was able to find the strings.xml under res/values. But there's now a new problem, which is the fact that all of the quick settings labels here are in the correct cases whereas on the device they display in allcaps. What could be causing this?

Original post:

Currently I'm using an HDC G900F phone (Galaxy S5 clone) running rooted Android 4.2.2, and trying to change some text in the notifications panel quick settings. In the attached image, you can see that all of the toggle labels are in ALLCAPS and some of them have English spelling mistakes. What I want to do is change the text to correct upper/lower cases and correct the spelling errors (also rearrange them, if possible).

As I understand it, I need to modify some files under res/values in SystemUI.apk but the problem is that when I extract SystemUI.apk and decompress it (with Stuffit or any online APK decompiler), there is no "values" folder under res/ and none of the files from any of the SystemUI.apk modding guides I read seem to exist in my apk. What I want to ask is why these files don't seem to exist and what I can do to achieve the above objectives of correcting the toggle labels?

PS. Installing and using apktools on my Mac is not an option. When I run the installer from the Home Directory, it behaves as if apktools is already installed and takes me directly to the main menu but whenever I select any of the menu options, it says that the relevant command is not found, indicating that apktools is not installed. Clearly something has gone horribly wrong somehow here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-23-15-24-51.png
Views:	34
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2813537  
Last edited by NekoMichi; 23rd June 2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Updated information.
23rd June 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

6 posts
UPDATE:

Never mind. I give up.
So far something has gone wrong every step of the way and it's just too much of a hassle. Mac installation failed and won't let me reinstall, Windows installation failed to detect Java, Java reinstallation failed to be recognised by the system, apktool failed to install the framework, apktool failed to decompile the apt, apktool then fails to build the modded apt. Every step I've had to manually fix things and it's simply too much trouble for just changing a few strings of text on my device.

With a track record for having problems absolutely everywhere, I just uninstalled and deleted everything in case the next step blew up my computer or something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NekoMichi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2014, 07:15 PM   |  #3  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Judgment is Coming
Mega-City One
Thanks Meter: 27,252

15,890 posts
More
I know the feeling....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Judge Joseph Dredd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #4  
Seņor Moderator - uoy llort ot tnaem si eltit sihT
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 5,564

17,896 posts
More
Them feels...tho!

The Following User Says Thank You to M_T_M For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread