Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 52,324 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LgG2 Image persistence (retention, burn - in)

Tip us?

Qix84
Old
(Last edited by Qix84; 23rd June 2014 at 03:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogo1982 View Post
Do you have a source for this information?
I found this test

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

To view if you have IR or not. If i run the test for 5 minutes and switch to grey i can notice the image retention but dissapears with time. I cant see the image retention in normal use.

Any can run the test for 5 minutes, to compare please.

MidnightHarvester
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Plenty of sources. Google "image retention vs burn in LCD AMOLED) and you should get plenty of sources but here's one.

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-image-retention

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Here's a much more detailed article...

http://www.tweakguides.com/HDTV_8.html

PHONES MAKE GREAT PAPERWEIGHTS!

Don't get caught with your pants down. Always have a contingency plan available when modifying your devices, even if you are confident you won't need it

Qix84
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightHarvester View Post
Plenty of sources. Google "image retention vs burn in LCD AMOLED) and you should get plenty of sources but here's one.

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-image-retention

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Here's a much more detailed article...

http://www.tweakguides.com/HDTV_8.html

But its normal ??? I can only see if i search for them, idk if go to the warranty or keep it.

MidnightHarvester
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Yes it's normal. If the image doesn't fade out over time though it's not normal. Our screens are LCDs and this is common for all LCD displays, TVs included.

Plasma and OLED displays have it worse because the phosphor wear on these can be permemant. I used to play a certain game hours and hours each day on my old Galaxy Nexus which had an AMOLED display and I eventually had the menus permanently burned into the display.

Since our G2s use a LCD display though any image persistence we may encounter should fade away once the screen is off for a while. If it doesn't then no that's not normal. Most image retention issues should fade away in a few minutes, but rarely it may last up to a few hours to a few days.

Unless you keep your display on a static image though hours and hours on end, this shouldn't be an issue. If any retention doesn't fade away after having the display off for a while or if it commonly happens without having to try to make it happen then you might consider a warranty replacement.

There's a ton of information regarding this if you search on "screen burn in image retention oled lcd plasma" in Google.

Don't get caught with your pants down. Always have a contingency plan available when modifying your devices, even if you are confident you won't need it

Qix84
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Yes it's normal. If the image doesn't fade out over time though it's not normal. Our screens are LCDs and this is common for all LCD displays, TVs included.

Plasma and OLED displays have it worse because the phosphor wear on these can be permemant. I used to play a certain game hours and hours each day on my old Galaxy Nexus which had an AMOLED display and I eventually had the menus permanently burned into the display.

Since our G2s use a LCD display though any image persistence we may encounter should fade away once the screen is off for a while. If it doesn't then no that's not normal. Most image retention issues should fade away in a few minutes, but rarely it may last up to a few hours to a few days.

Unless you keep your display on a static image though hours and hours on end, this shouldn't be an issue. If any retention doesn't fade away after having the display off for a while or if it commonly happens without having to try to make it happen then you might consider a warranty replacement.

There's a ton of information regarding this if you search on "screen burn in image retention oled lcd plasma" in Google.

Thank you very much, yep mine´s fade away after 30 seconds.

You have image retention in your G2 ???

MidnightHarvester
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Only if I force the issue by doing things like leaving this web page,

http://link.tapatalk.com/api/click?k...5bfb18530caaa2, open for a while. It quickly fades away though. That's the only time I've ever noticed anything.

Qix84
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Only if I force the issue by doing things like leaving this web page,

http://link.tapatalk.com/api/click?k...5bfb18530caaa2, open for a while. It quickly fades away though. That's the only time I've ever noticed anything.

Yep Same Here, i think all LG G2 suffer from this problem.

Thank you.

MidnightHarvester
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Np 😎 All G2s,...all LCD devices. LCD tech kind of plateaud so manufacturer starting developing AMOLED displays. LG seems to have made great improvements though with their LCDs and I'm glad they chose this route as I prefer LCD to AMOLED any day.

AMOLEDs may evolve to the point where burn in isn't an issue, much like how LCD displays when first introduced suffered from ghosting that was so bad it wasn't even am option for anyone who games. With
today's LCDs ghosting, much like the real thing, kind of faded away into the VAST.

I guess in the end it all boils down to each person's individual tastes.

Qix84
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Np 😎 All G2s,...all LCD devices. LCD tech kind of plateaud so manufacturer starting developing AMOLED displays. LG seems to have made great improvements though with their LCDs and I'm glad they chose this route as I prefer LCD to AMOLED any day.

AMOLEDs may evolve to the point where burn in isn't an issue, much like how LCD displays when first introduced suffered from ghosting that was so bad it wasn't even am option for anyone who games. With
today's LCDs ghosting, much like the real thing, kind of faded away into the VAST.

I guess in the end it all boils down to each person's individual tastes.

But i have a LCD IPS LG MONITOR, and run the test about 10 minutes and i havent IR, i have a LCD IPS LG TV (LA6200) and i havent IR. I think not all LCD IPS have this problem :S

MidnightHarvester
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Yeah the IPS LG monitor is susceptible but just because it is doesn't mean you'll ever see it happen. People in the Apple forums are always asking about why their Safari url bar remains once the app is closed. These people must be on Safari all day every day lol.

Most often you'll see it on displays in places that keep a TV running all the time with like CNN running (restaurants, display units in stores, etc) . Just because it can happen doesn't mean it will. It's something I never worry about while using LCD displays