Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,914 Members 45,109 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google voice VoIP calls

Tip us?

RK
Old
(Last edited by RK; 16th May 2014 at 12:29 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 356
Default Google voice VoIP calls

If you have a Google voice number like me, you are probably sad that all the third party apps that enabled VoIP using Google voice on android have stopped working. Like grooveip and talkatone.

Well here is a good news.. You can use VoIP calls from your android device. You need to do two things

1) Enable hangouts instead on talk in gmail.
2) Download opera browser (any browser that can fake a desktop UA might work. I use opera)

Now, change the user agent to desktop in opera browser and call using hangouts in gmail like you usually do on a PC and it works!!!

If you already knew this, good for you. I didn't and I just found out so I am sharing an option till Google releases full hangouts Google voice integration.

Enjoy!

EDIT: if you are logged in and opera is running in the background, you can even receive calls to your Google voice number!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ectoplasmic
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Trying this now. Amazing if this works.

Ectoplasmic
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Thanks, this works with Opera on my tablet. It doesn't work in Chrome, even with the "request desktop site" option checked. But I expected that, since I tried it a while ago. Not sure if Firefox would work, but I'll use Opera for this. Navigating the hangouts interface is clumsy to say the least, but it's nice to have the option.

DigitalMD
Old
Thanks Meter 603
Thanks for the tip, but as expected, Google has totally hosed the Voice app. You can no longer make calls over Wifi on android so its totally useless for that. The other functions of the app are clunky and difficult. Way to flush a good idea Google.
Days of open internet are almost over as the biggies look for more revenue streaming from your wallet..Soon the internet will be a shell of its current self. With the government wanting their taxes and the big ISPs planning to charge extra for access to specific content (like facebook) and throttle your speed.

RK
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMD View Post
Thanks for the tip, but as expected, Google has totally hosed the Voice app. You can no longer make calls over Wifi on android so its totally useless for that. The other functions of the app are clunky and difficult. Way to flush a good idea Google.
I am just patiently waiting for hangouts integration..

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

iateshaggy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
facebook messanger has voip.

silverberet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
does this still work?
i used to use it like two weeks ago on a Nexus 7 (2012), with Opera.
But then I broke my tablet and got a new Nexus 7 (2013).
Now it's asking me to download the hangouts plugin.

I gave up on phone and using Google Voice voip as my number.
This is really frustrating when I'm not in front of my PC.

gottech
Old
Thanks Meter 9
MO + app still works from play store