Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,741 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Changing Samsung S5 for Sony Z2?

Tip us?

GODSPD
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Lightbulb Changing Samsung S5 for Sony Z2?

Hi All,

I am very disappointed with my current Samsung Galaxy S5 and wish to change it to the new Sony Xperia Z2, before I do I would like to ask some basic questions from fellow users

1) Is there any issue with rooting? does it void the warranty for good like with the KNOX 0/1 on new Samsung devices?
2) Battery life? is it any good?
3) Waterproof - is it really? MAIN question is can I use it underwater? does the screen respond when submerged or not? The S5 will survive immersion but it cannot be used under water as the screen does not respond...
4) ROM development, can someone suggest some really nice ROMS that are themed customised?
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9305
Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 ~BoBCaTROM~
Samsung Galaxy N3 SM-N9005 ~BoBCaTROM~
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F

ROM: {~BoBCaTROM~}
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: CWM

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE !!!

NetSkill
Old
Thanks Meter 183
1. There is actually no problem with rooting, unlocking bootloader is not needed anymore so u still have warranty and phone is untouched, rooting process takes up to 5 mins withouth rebooting its really easy now.
2. Battery life is great! Even withouth build in battery savings
3.Screen isnt responsive under water,but you can still use camera underwater
4. I cant help with this as i am using factory rom.

Odoslané z D6503 pomocou Tapatalku
Previous Device Xperia Z // Actual Device Xperia Z2 Black - 402FW - Rooted - Locked BL
The Following User Says Thank You to NetSkill For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kaz0ku
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPD View Post
Hi All,

I am very disappointed with my current Samsung Galaxy S5 and wish to change it to the new Sony Xperia Z2, before I do I would like to ask some basic questions from fellow users

1) Is there any issue with rooting? does it void the warranty for good like with the KNOX 0/1 on new Samsung devices?
3) Waterproof - is it really? MAIN question is can I use it underwater? does the screen respond when submerged or not? The S5 will survive immersion but it cannot be used under water as the screen does not respond...
4) ROM development, can someone suggest some really nice ROMS that are themed customised?
1. From others it seems rooting it is easy, but it voids the warranty.

2. Battery life is one of the best you can get. Really long lasting.

3. No screen is usable when submerged, but you can take photos as there's a physical camera button with this phone.

4. Can't help you here, as I use the factory ROM

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to kaz0ku For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KyleSforza
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPD View Post
Hi All,

1) No issues with rooting, in fact its even available on locked bootloader now! No. Rooting does not void warranty, unlocking bootloader might, but Sony typically never checks for such stuff.

2) Its the best among the current flagships. This thing is a beast, look here - http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

3) YUP!! It has higher certification than S5 at it. But no, it can't be used underwater either but you can take pictures with the hardware shutter key.

4) If you want themes, those are built into stock too. These are just a few - http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/03/27...knowit-mobile/
The Following User Says Thank You to KyleSforza For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GODSPD
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Thanks for the great insight, I will change over very shortly, battery life on the S5 is rubbish and xda development for the S5 is very narrow. I don't mind the Z2 being bigger as my all time favourite phone is still the Note 3, so I hope the Z2 can be a close match
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9305
Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 ~BoBCaTROM~
Samsung Galaxy N3 SM-N9005 ~BoBCaTROM~
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F

ROM: {~BoBCaTROM~}
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: CWM

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE !!!

Henry443
Old
Thanks Meter 1
You must go for Changing Samsung S5 for Sony Z2.
Sony Z2 is awesome and have many advance features that are you missing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry443 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

doministry
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Z2 is really fantastic. In every way.
And batt life is awesome.
a w a r e
SE P800 P910 P990 P1 X1 X2 X10 LG E900 Xperia Arc X10 Mini Sony Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z
The Following User Says Thank You to doministry For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

feis
Old
Thanks Meter 91
If its development you are looking for, im not sure z2 is the right device for you. Apart from that, great device.
The Following User Says Thank You to feis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ricebun
Old
Thanks Meter 5
If you're looking for dev support for the Z2, it might be a bit of a strange situation: Sony releases devices every ~6 months, so as the Z1 came out last autumn, the Z2 arrived this spring. Despite the quick cycles, cross-device development is still going quite well. I rooted my device using the "EasyRoot" exploit that was originally written for the Z1 Compact, so owning a Sony device may not be as bad as time moves on and newer phones are released.

All in all, a very good phone. Highly recommend rooting and installing Xposed. GravityBox and AppOps are fantastic contributions to an already good device.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricebun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dirtyzecret
Old
Thanks Meter 20
For themes you REALLY have to start using some custom launchers like Nova, Apex etc. The themes is not a ''theme'' in that way. Just a change of background and some colours...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dirtyzecret For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]