[Q] Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 4.4.2 KitKat Root

Search This thread

zdarkangel

Apr 6, 2014
I am a beginner with rooting android phones, so I turned to this website. I eventually landed on this thread in search of a possible solution. I need to root my recently updated S4 (at&t) from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 (kitkat). Was there any tested solution to this for an At&t phone, or did it work for someone who has a phone through a Canadian carrier?

Also, if no verified solution for rooting the S4 At&t kitkat was concluded, has anyone tried doing what this guy does in the video?

Youtube video: (youtu.be/SlR1iWzfSFU)

Thanks!

ucontreras

Dec 7, 2010
downgrade and root AT&T Galaxy S4 4.4.2

Hey everyone,

So I have been trying to root my newly updated Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337 AT&T) for a couple of days now and still no success.
I've tried MotoChopper, a series of different CF-AutoRoot files and neither have given any luck. Odin stops right after SuperUser.apk is pushed over and gives the "Threads failed: 1 Success: 0" message.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in Advance.

I found a way that worked for me. I successfully downgraded from 4.4.2 to 4.3 and rooted.

AT&T Galaxy S4 i337 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2663545

riksterinto

Mar 25, 2014
Was this done on a phone with a Canadian wireless service? I don't know how similar the phones are between the US and Canada (pardon my naivete), but if so, how risky is this root method for a US phone?

Thanks.

Yes it was on a Canadian Device with build NC1. If you look at the build number in your About Device and it has NC! then it will work. If it's NB1 at the end, my understanding is that this method will not work.

just breath

Apr 29, 2014
entirely by chance

Hey everyone,

So I have been trying to root my newly updated Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337 AT&T) for a couple of days now and still no success.
I've tried MotoChopper, a series of different CF-AutoRoot files and neither have given any luck. Odin stops right after SuperUser.apk is pushed over and gives the "Threads failed: 1 Success: 0" message.

im a noob, like an uber noob, but it worked for me on my sepf gt i9505 which rolled out with kitkat 4.4.2 0004 and so0o much bloatwear,
so if ur willing give it a go.

starting off back up anything u want to keep, removing ur sd card is probably a good idea at this point with any apps u wana save
restart ur fone into recovery mode, clear ur cache, now wipe and boot into factory mode. i know this isnt favourable,
but as far as i can tell kitkat loads a unified deamon drive along side knox which pretty much mucks up odin3,
restart the unit into boot mode and follow the chainfire/odin3 method (all the links are in xda) good luck
hope this works for u

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
im a noob, like an uber noob, but it worked for me on my sepf gt i9505 which rolled out with kitkat 4.4.2 0004 and so0o much bloatwear,
so if ur willing give it a go.

starting off back up anything u want to keep, removing ur sd card is probably a good idea at this point with any apps u wana save
restart ur fone into recovery mode, clear ur cache, now wipe and boot into factory mode. i know this isnt favourable,
but as far as i can tell kitkat loads a unified deamon drive along side knox which pretty much mucks up odin3,
restart the unit into boot mode and follow the chainfire/odin3 method (all the links are in xda) good luck
hope this works for u

The i9505 variant is a different beast than the i337 one from AT&T. AT&T specifically asks Samsung to lock the bootloader and make it MUCH harder to modify than the international versions. With the newer versions of the software, you can not even install a normal custom recovery to the phone's recovery partition. You have to hijack the boot up with Safestrap that will set up a custom recovery and keep the original /system safe so it doesn't mess up the phone.

Reactions: just breath

o2birdie1

Apr 29, 2014
No wifi with Downgrade 4.42 to 4.3 I337

I found a way that worked for me. I successfully downgraded from 4.4.2 to 4.3 and rooted.

AT&T Galaxy S4 i337 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2663545

I was able to root my phone and get my data back up and running but I have no idea how to work the Bypasslkm stuff to make my wifi work. Can anyone help? This sucks not having wifi.

I followed the downgrade link prior to finding this.

Thanks

really..?

Really!! You need to flame the guy
TOTAL **** MOVE BRO!!!

i agree. Turtle could have at least tried. that person is a waste to this community, in my opinion. if he can blast others and then not even show how to do it right. there are people here who do not even know how to find things, and the search tool sort of sucks anyway because its cluttered. sometimes, relevant content is NOT on top and you really, REALLY have to dig for it. NOT something anyone new can do. that person needs to get a reality check and be a lot nicer to the community.

Reactions: umlguy
i agree. Turtle could have at least tried. that person is a waste to this community, in my opinion. if he can blast others and then not even show how to do it right. there are people here who do not even know how to find things, and the search tool sort of sucks anyway because its cluttered. sometimes, relevant content is NOT on top and you really, REALLY have to dig for it. NOT something anyone new can do. that person needs to get a reality check and be a lot nicer to the community.

WOW! Yes, like ive been wanting to say to eeeeeeeeveryone who likes telling people USE THE SEARCH, for what, the results have absolutely nothing to do with what was searched. Sorry, just got excited finally hearing someone else say it.

WOW! Yes, like ive been wanting to say to eeeeeeeeveryone who likes telling people USE THE SEARCH, for what, the results have absolutely nothing to do with what was searched. Sorry, just got excited finally hearing someone else say it.

No really, it's quite alright. Unlike a lot if people, I have no regard to the political correctness of others, because i dont care if I am. :) I am not scared to tell people off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

roadrunner4spd

Jun 5, 2014
KK 4.4.2 NC1 rooted with towelroot apk

All. I was just able to root my NC1 KK 4.4.2 with towel root. If I am allowed to post a link with my limited posts... todays date: 6/16/14 11:52PM EST:good:

<link removed so i can post this>
if not towelroot dot com

Please donate to this guy. Confirmed working on my S4 i337 4.4.2 || I337UCUFNC1 baseband, KOT49H.I337UCUFNC1 build number

Late now and work tomorrow. Need to now search for a stable rom :laugh:

so, If I understand correctly, even with Root I would have to use Safestrap on the I337 to install another Rom? I am hoping I am wrong and with Root I can install CWM touch... Does anyone know with the NC1 build of KK on the i337?

Last edited:

lilbro1062000

Sep 29, 2010
link

All. I was just able to root my NC1 KK 4.4.2 with towel root. If I am allowed to post a link with my limited posts... todays date: 6/16/14 11:52PM EST:good:

<link removed so i can post this>
if not towelroot dot com

Please donate to this guy. Confirmed working on my S4 i337 4.4.2 || I337UCUFNC1 baseband, KOT49H.I337UCUFNC1 build number

Late now and work tomorrow. Need to now search for a stable rom :laugh:

so, If I understand correctly, even with Root I would have to use Safestrap on the I337 to install another Rom? I am hoping I am wrong and with Root I can install CWM touch... Does anyone know with the NC1 build of KK on the i337?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2616221

techguy1214

Sep 27, 2012
HOW TO Root Samsung Galaxy S4 I337 At&t Basband UCUFNC1

Hey everyone,

Follow the instructions on this video hope this helped ^_^

http://youtu.be/6DVCaJCXy6E

Jul 27, 2009
Tampa
www.cowboymafia.net
Since this is the first thing that comes up on Google when searching for Galaxy S4 AT&T 4.4.2 root, I'm going to post in here. I'm rooted! Here's how:

1. Go to www.towelroot.com and grab version 1. Install it.
2. Go into your Application Manager, flip to the right, find Lookout, disable it.
3. Run Towelroot. It won't tell you much, probably crash, then reboot.
4. When you boot back up you should have totally unrestricted root access. Check it with Root Checker.
5. Install SuperSU from the Play Store, let it update SU and disable Knox.
6. Enjoy your rooted, stock 4.4.2 TouchWiz ROM!

I verified root with Root Checker, Adfree Android, and Titanium Backup. All appear to be working.

G

Guilden_NL

Since this is the first thing that comes up on Google when searching for Galaxy S4 AT&T 4.4.2 root, I'm going to post in here. I'm rooted! Here's how:

1. Go to www.towelroot.com and grab version 1. Install it.
2. Go into your Application Manager, flip to the right, find Lookout, disable it.
3. Run Towelroot. It won't tell you much, probably crash, then reboot.
4. When you boot back up you should have totally unrestricted root access. Check it with Root Checker.
5. Install SuperSU from the Play Store, let it update SU and disable Knox.
6. Enjoy your rooted, stock 4.4.2 TouchWiz ROM!

I verified root with Root Checker, Adfree Android, and Titanium Backup. All appear to be working.

She no work for me. I wish there was a log file created in the process. Tried 9 times, no go. 4.4.2 AT&T SGH-I337

glalt

Mar 30, 2012
Cannot root.....

I bought a refurbished i9500 S4. I was very pleased when I received it. It looked totally new. When I tried to set it up, the WiFi wouldn't work and the network connection went on and off, mostly off. I tried a number of root methods and all of them failed. I should mention that I live in Thailand. The phone is useless here. I9500ZSUEMJ6 JSS15J is in the about this phone setting.

I was in Odin and noticed the VERY small writing in the top left hand corner. It identified the phone as SGH 1337. More research showed that is is an AT&T phone. After spending probably at least 15 total hours, I gave up and have returned the phone telling them that I want a refund or a phone that is not linked with any ISP.

I use an i9300 S3 and it is a great phone running Omega V58.

I have come to the conclusion that AT&T sucks. I did read that the boot loader is locked and the SGH 1337 cannot be rooted. Hopefully the company I bought the phone from will make the exchange for a plain i9500 international model.

I understand that there is a work around called Loki or something like that. I don't WANT a work around. I want a rooted phone.

Last edited:

nuckelhed

Oct 18, 2007
STFU

THERE IS A THREAD FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and are you running stock or custom and look it up on the galaxy s4 troubleshooting page before you post here
Search it up i dont want to help in this thread but i will help you or someone else will when its in the right thread

You've been a member for less than a year and have 35 posts. Stop it.

JORDANZ1998

May 30, 2013
New England
Just tried Towel root and it worked great. Finally a way to root the gs4 4.4.2 i337. If only there was a way to install a custom recovery now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

THERE IS A THREAD FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and are you running stock or custom and look it up on the galaxy s4 troubleshooting page before you post here
    Search it up i dont want to help in this thread but i will help you or someone else will when its in the right thread

Hey Mr. Turtle, could you be so kind as to point out as to where this supposed thread is?? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Hey everyone,

It looks like the link that you may want to look at, that Mr. Turtle so Douchingly didn't want to give, is right here: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-att/help

Hope this helps. :)
    Same problem

I have a galaxy s4 att 4.4 and have been wondering the same thing. Seems like no one has found and way to root the phone yet. As for the guy who flipped out in the post above. Give it a break man. This website is made so a bunch of developers can come together and help each other out and fix problems. There should be no putting down just because it was put on the wrong thread or whatever. It's the people like you that ruin the fun in hacking for all of us. If there's already a thread then just tell the owner of this one or any one nicely and point them in the right direction with a Link or something. No need to be mean.
    Opps

This method is for 4.2.2

Oh sorry for the false hope if you don't look close enough they look the same! Ill keep searching and pst anything if i see it :)