Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,156 Members 40,332 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Trying to put stock recovery back for OTA 5.11.1540.9

Tip us?

mattileblanc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Trying to put stock recovery back for OTA 5.11.1540.9

Hi Guys,

Hope that anyone can help me with the following:

I normally have Openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7 running on my M7.
However, with the new software update of 5.11.1540.9 pushed out, I normally go back to original recover, then update my software by downloading it an installing on the phone.

A couple of months ago I changed my version, originally an ATT phone, to I think a European or WWE version. I am not sure anymore.
Anyway, when I try to flash the original recovery ecovery_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3.img back and reboot in to recovery I get a black screen and eventually a phone icon with exclamation mark.
After holding the power button for a while, I can reboot and get back in the phone or restore TWRP.

My question is, does anyone know how to get the original recovery working again so that I can run the update.

This is the info of the bootloader:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.57.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.27.3218.14
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 5.11.1540.9
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: 111111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4263mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-e47fb74b
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

I rather do not wipe the whole device if I don't have to. Before I changed the firmware to European or WWE I was able to restore the original bootloader at leisure. So I think it would be best to go back to the correct country firmware, or find a recovery file that does work with my current firmware.

If I can install the latest Developer Edition ROM with TWRP, and have to wipe, that is fine. I don't want to risk bricking my phone with doing all kind of updates. Have done so many and it is still working, would hope to keep it that way

Any help appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattileblanc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mike-y
Old
Thanks Meter 116
I thought all you needed to do was re-lock the bootloader, then run the correct RUU file for your phone.

I do not remember having to flash back to stock recovery when I ran RUU for the latest update - I just relocked the bootloader. After the RUU is run, you will be back on stock recovery

mattileblanc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
I thought all you needed to do was re-lock the bootloader, then run the correct RUU file for your phone.

I do not remember having to flash back to stock recovery when I ran RUU for the latest update - I just relocked the bootloader. After the RUU is run, you will be back on stock recovery
Well, last time it worked for me when I had the Dev edition. My phone was unlocked with S-On, and I had TWRP for recovery.
I remember receiving the OTA, installing it and then seeing the message in TWRP that it couldn't install.
I then set the Recovery_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3.img for recovery and I was able to install the OTA.
After that I went back to TWRP.

Couple of months ago I set my CID to 11111111 and S-off and I installed, I believe a european version or a WWE version (not sure anymore what i did ) to get a radio that might unlock 4G here in Australia (which failed cause of hardware restrictions of bands).

Anyway, my phone works fine and I received the OTA but I can't repeat the back to stock recovery trick cause after flashing the Recovery_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3.img it doesnt enter recovery. Probably something to do with my WWE or Euro firmware?

What does relock mean in this case.
I also am at loss at what the correct RUU is. Is RUU firmware, or a whole complete ROM?

Can you see from my bootloader info what version I have and should consider?
I am just a bit confused with all the terms and was quite into it a couple of months ago, but now its a blur.

yatindroid
Old
Thanks Meter 322
You don't need relock boot loader
When you boot in recovery got exclamation mark press volume up for4-5 sec then press power upto home back light blinks leave power button you got recovery with blue options

from HTC One

mattileblanc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatindroid View Post
You don't need relock boot loader
When you boot in recovery got exclamation mark press volume up for4-5 sec then press power upto home back light blinks leave power button you got recovery with blue options

from HTC One
Well I tried your suggestion but it doesnt work. After I hold the power button when seeing the exclamation mark, the phone finally reboots. It tried to install the OTA this way, but it doesnt work.
I think the current recovery:Recovery_Cingular_US_3.17.502.3.img doesnt match my current firmware of something like that.
Any other suggestions?
Can I just install a fresh ROM with the latest version, not sure where to get it from.

mattileblanc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Not really sure what to do, I tried another recovery but after choosing to install the OTA, and reboot, I see progress bar which ends up in red triangle.
Tried to lock bootloader but then of course I can go back to standard recovery using TWRP.

I just tried to install again and when progress bar appeared I hit volume up and then power button. Now I see status updates of the installation.
If fails while verifying the current system:
"/system/lib/libcryptox.so" has unexpected contents
Installation aborted.

yatindroid
Old
Thanks Meter 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattileblanc View Post
Not really sure what to do, I tried another recovery but after choosing to install the OTA, and reboot, I see progress bar which ends up in red triangle.
Tried to lock bootloader but then of course I can go back to standard recovery using TWRP.

I just tried to install again and when progress bar appeared I hit volume up and then power button. Now I see status updates of the installation.
If fails while verifying the current system:
"/system/lib/libcryptox.so" has unexpected contents
Installation aborted.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2791123

from HTC One