[Q] Galaxy S4 i9500 - External NFC Antenna not working

OP HyperEscape

24th June 2014, 10:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10

175 posts
So I have the Galaxy S4 i9500. As far as I understand the NFC antenna is built on the NFC enabled batteries, however the NFC chipset/IC is built inside the mobile mainboard. At the same time there are two contact points exposed at the back of the mobile , which supposedly are for the external NFC antenna.

I have a couple of NTAG205 tags which I need to program for various tasks. What I assumed is that if I am using a battery with NFC enabled , then NFC would work, and it is working and detecting the NFC tag when it is almost tapped with the backplate of the mobile.

I wanted to try on a couple of aftermarket batteries for enhanced mAH rating and a possible longer standby time. So first I purchased a MPJ 3500mAH NFC enabled battery as shown below, with this battery the NFC is working correctly.

MPJ

Then I went on and bought the Onite 2600mAH battery with NO NFC as shown below. So expectedly the NFC was not responding to the tag proximity with this battery.

Onite

However I wanted the NFC to work with both the batteries. I assumed that since the battery just contain the antenna for NFC, so maybe I still can use the NFC functionality , with a non-NFC enabled battery coupled with an external NFC antenna. This setup was supposed to suffice the need for a missing internal antenna by placing an external NFC antenna connected to the exposed contact pins at the back. For the reason I got hold of the following :

Wireless Receiver

This doubled as a wireless charging receiver and the external NFC antenna with respective contact points.

Wireless Receiver

So when i put this wireless receiver on with the no NFC battery , the NFC does not work, supposedly I should be as the external NFC antenna (as visible in the photo) is working and the contact point are pressed firmly against the pins with back cover closed. But when i put the same wireless receiver with the NFC enabled battery, the NFC starts working.

So infact an external NFC antenna is not to substitute the place of a NFC enabled battery , it is just to couple with it to maybe extend the range. Is it correct. ? It tells me that an external NFC antenna is meaningless and will not work with a non-NFC battery, which somewhat kills the purpose of having external NFC antenna pins.

Has anybody tried with a similar setup and can shed some light on the subject and share your experiences.

Thanks.
Last edited by HyperEscape; 24th June 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread