Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 51,099 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Damaged battery or damaged charging port?

Tip us?

JuanVerguero
Old
(Last edited by JuanVerguero; 23rd June 2014 at 03:15 AM.) Reason: Added information
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Damaged battery or damaged charging port?

This problem started like 3 weeks ago. I locked my phone and left to do some stuff, and when I came back and unlocked it, the phone thought it was being charged. I plugged it to the charger and unplugged it to see if the problem would stop. It didn't. I plugged it in again and left it there for a few minutes, and when I checked, it was discharging. I pulled out the battery and put it back in after a few minutes and the phone turned on by itself. It is worth mentioning that I'm running Carbon 4.4 from NovaFusion, and you may already know that when the phone is plugged to the charger, it reboots if you power it off. When it turned on, it still thought it was being charged. It discharged after a few minutes, and I left it plugged in to charge while off... And when it turned it back on, the problem stopped. After that, sometimes when I plug it to the charger, it won't detect it, I have to reboot the phone for it to start charging.

A few days ago I turned it off with 85% battery left, and when it turned it back on it showed 0%... And now my phone shuts down without warning randomly. It also freezes and reboots when I plug it to the charger sometimes. I've tried changing the ROM, (to golden-guy's Omni and stock), but those problems persist.

That's why I ask, is it a bad battery o a damaged charging port? Thanks in advance.

Forgot to add, sometimes when it freezes and reboots, it freezes on bootanimation and restarts itself again...

koragg97
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Sounds like a bad battery to me, but wait and see what others will say. It may as well be a faulty usb charging port. If it just had random reboots, I could swear that it's the battery, but with the other stuff you said it seems like something inside the port has gone wrong and thinks it's charging when it's not and the opposite. Sorry, but can't help much as I've never had this exact problem (I've had a similar one) so I'm only guessing right now!
Device : Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini (GT-I8190)
ROM : ^S5style_i8190XXANC2_v4^ (by @Galaxy Mini)
Recovery : TWRP 2.7.1.3 (by @Android-Andi)
Kernel : Stock ANF3 3.0.31-1550178
Baseband : I8190XXANF3

JuanVerguero
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by koragg97 View Post
Sounds like a bad battery to me, but wait and see what others will say. It may as well be a faulty usb charging port. If it just had random reboots, I could swear that it's the battery, but with the other stuff you said it seems like something inside the port has gone wrong and thinks it's charging when it's not and the opposite. Sorry, but can't help much as I've never had this exact problem (I've had a similar one) so I'm only guessing right now!
I forgot to say that it freezes on bootanimation and restarts. Does that bring any clue?

koragg97
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanVerguero View Post
I forgot to say that it freezes on bootanimation and restarts. Does that bring any clue?
That's normal when the phone has no battery left (or thinks it doesnt't). There just isn't enough power to boot the phone up, but it knows that there's some little power left so it continues to try booting unsuccesfully, resulting in a bootloop If you leave it to reboot for a few mins it might shutdown permanently. That means the battery has absolutely no power left (or it could think it doesn't, when it has, if it's damaged like yours).
Device : Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini (GT-I8190)
ROM : ^S5style_i8190XXANC2_v4^ (by @Galaxy Mini)
Recovery : TWRP 2.7.1.3 (by @Android-Andi)
Kernel : Stock ANF3 3.0.31-1550178
Baseband : I8190XXANF3

waynevan2000
Old
(Last edited by waynevan2000; 24th June 2014 at 12:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Plug S3 mini charging when unplugged

I bought a phone off ebay and was having the same problem. Random usb driver errors with pc and unable to connect with terminal, Startup loops because phone thinks its on charge etc..
Tried everything to sort it out and failed. Just after I was about to give up and bin the phone, I tried to slightly pry the little plate on the USB port upwards with something non conductive. Ding dong I heard to unplug sound animation and the charging icon disappeared

Had no problem since.