No registration required

Android kernel

OP shadowcore

12th April 2014, 06:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Outer Space
Thanks Meter: 58

457 posts
Could someone tell me why the hell the Android kernel or shell need to communicate with the internet? I have installed a firewall in my phone and I waas disturbed to find out that for some reason, android shell and kernel have access to internet.

FYI, I use the firewall to prevent suspicious applications from communicating with the internet, and keep them isolated.
Of course, I have denied access to the kernel and shell, and everything seems to be working fine.

I currently run android 4.2.2 cyanogenmod 10.3 on a LG optimus 4x.
Last edited by shadowcore; 12th April 2014 at 06:07 PM.
12th April 2014, 09:02 PM   |  #2  
Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor
Flag Sequim WA
Thanks Meter: 8,343

3,951 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcore

Could someone tell me why the hell the Android kernel or shell need to communicate with the internet? I have installed a firewall in my phone and I waas disturbed to find out that for some reason, android shell and kernel have access to internet.

FYI, I use the firewall to prevent suspicious applications from communicating with the internet, and keep them isolated.
Of course, I have denied access to the kernel and shell, and everything seems to be working fine.

I currently run android 4.2.2 cyanogenmod 10.3 on a LG optimus 4x.

Kernel has internet access, well because you want your device to internet access. The kernel pretty much has access to everything (outside of things lower than it. Kernel is the heart of the OS.

Shell user itself doesn't automatically have internet access, however when using adb shell one of the permissions granted to it is the internet permission (see /etc/permissions/platform.xml or on newer devices Shell.apk/AndroidManifest.xml). This is needed for debugging purposes mainly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcase For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2014, 02:11 PM   |  #3  
Flag Roma
Thanks Meter: 86

342 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase

Kernel has internet access, well because you want your device to internet access. The kernel pretty much has access to everything (outside of things lower than it. Kernel is the heart of the OS.

Shell user itself doesn't automatically have internet access, however when using adb shell one of the permissions granted to it is the internet permission (see /etc/permissions/platform.xml or on newer devices Shell.apk/AndroidManifest.xml). This is needed for debugging purposes mainly.

Kernel's access to internet is used, for example, while playing youtube videos. Don't know why, though. If you block kernel access you won't be able to play videos.

I can suppose youtube has to use some kernel functions (maybe the ping?) to decide what's the fastest server to download data from.
I did a reverse lookup on blocked ip address and found:
PTR 173.194.70.95 fa-in-f95.1e100.net 24 hrsPTR 74.125.232.144 mil02s05-in-f16.1e100.net 24 hrs
1e100.net is registered to google. maybe they are the streaming servers.
Last edited by LinoX; 24th June 2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added reverse lookup
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread