Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,924 Members 45,454 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC desire Clockworkmod corrupted/deleted

Tip us?

vk2wgw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default HTC desire Clockworkmod corrupted/deleted

Hi people, I have a HTC Desire that I has Clockworkmod installed. I gave it to my girl and she deleted Clockworkmod I think. The phone gets the splash screen but bootlooped, I did the power vol down and got into the bootloader, go to recovery, phone loads into cwm everything i do in cwm hangs the phone, I tried flashing recovery files from fastflash and android flasher but nothing works.
Its like the cwm is corrupted and wont let me do anything how do I get into the phones recovery not Clockworkmod recovery.

Cheers Glenn
sorry i;m new at this

eddiehk6
Old
Thanks Meter 557
- You can't really accidentally delete a recovery. If you can get into clockworkmod recovery it, it is not deleted

- You can only flash a different recovery if you are s-off, are you s-off?

- Does performing any action within cwm cause it to hang immediately? Can you try to full wipe (wipe data/factory reset), and then flash a ROM.zip file such as cyanogenmod? Does it boot?

- If you can't get it to boot, then you will likely have to flash an RUU to get it booting again. Use the 2.3.3 GB RUU, details how to flash are in the troubleshooting guide stickied to the top of Q&A.

- Once you get it booting and if you still want to install a custom ROM, use revolutionary to s-off, then flash 4EXT recovery instead, use that recovery to (re)partition your sdcard and install the ROM.
Device: Nexus 5 | ROM: SlimKat | Recovery: PhilZ Touch
Retired: HTC Desire

vk2wgw
Old
(Last edited by vk2wgw; 23rd June 2014 at 11:41 AM.) Reason: update
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehk6 View Post
- You can't really accidentally delete a recovery. If you can get into clockworkmod recovery it, it is not deleted

- You can only flash a different recovery if you are s-off, are you s-off?

- Does performing any action within cwm cause it to hang immediately? Can you try to full wipe (wipe data/factory reset), and then flash a ROM.zip file such as cyanogenmod? Does it boot?

- If you can't get it to boot, then you will likely have to flash an RUU to get it booting again. Use the 2.3.3 GB RUU, details how to flash are in the troubleshooting guide stickied to the top of Q&A.

- Once you get it booting and if you still want to install a custom ROM, use revolutionary to s-off, then flash 4EXT recovery instead, use that recovery to (re)partition your sdcard and install the ROM.

Yes I'm S-off, the phone wont start(boot all the way to working) I get into the (power vol down) menu, I go into recover, anything I do in there hangs the phone all I get is the cwm hat icon, I have to tske the battery out and put it back in. the only thing I think is, I have change micro SD cards the one that used to be in it is in my new phone and have deleted all the old files on it.

WHENEVER I do anything CWM it hangs can I recover without CWM it seems it controlls everything i do....

i had Rom manager installed too thet could be deleted, if rom manager is delete will that stuff up the phone, i think the partition is delete tooo... can i re partition it from windows??

eddiehk6
Old
(Last edited by eddiehk6; 23rd June 2014 at 03:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk2wgw View Post
Yes I'm S-off, the phone wont start(boot all the way to working) I get into the (power vol down) menu, I go into recover, anything I do in there hangs the phone all I get is the cwm hat icon, I have to tske the battery out and put it back in. the only thing I think is, I have change micro SD cards the one that used to be in it is in my new phone and have deleted all the old files on it.

WHENEVER I do anything CWM it hangs can I recover without CWM it seems it controlls everything i do....

i had Rom manager installed too thet could be deleted, if rom manager is delete will that stuff up the phone, i think the partition is delete tooo... can i re partition it from windows??
- I've never seen CWM hang like this. Within CWM, are you using the power button to select the options? You need to push the trackball to select (the middle button on the front of the phone)

- If you were using a custom ROM which used the sdcard in some way like a partition, you can't simply switch sd cards without backing up and transferring the necessary files to the new sdcard

You are s-off, so that's good. Assuming you still want a custom ROM:
- Flash 4EXT recovery using fastboot
- Backup your sd card, and use 4EXT recovery to completely reformat and partition your sd card (maximum 2GB ext4 partition)
- Copy backup back to sdcard, and ROM.zip of your choice
- (Optional but recommended) For maximum app space, flash optimal hboot for your ROM using fastboot, read the ROM's install instructions for information.
- 'Wipe all partitions except sdcard' option within 4EXT recovery (this is a 'full wipe')
- Install ROM.

EDIT: once you get it booting again, DO NOT use ROM manager in any way on this phone. You don't need it, has caused problems on this phone, could have been the reason for your issues in the first place.

vk2wgw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehk6 View Post
- I've never seen CWM hang like this. Within CWM, are you using the power button to select the options? You need to push the trackball to select (the middle button on the front of the phone)

- If you were using a custom ROM which used the sdcard in some way like a partition, you can't simply switch sd cards without backing up and transferring the necessary files to the new sdcard

You are s-off, so that's good. Assuming you still want a custom ROM:
- Flash 4EXT recovery using fastboot
- Backup your sd card, and use 4EXT recovery to completely reformat and partition your sd card (maximum 2GB ext4 partition)
- Copy backup back to sdcard, and ROM.zip of your choice
- (Optional but recommended) For maximum app space, flash optimal hboot for your ROM using fastboot, read the ROM's install instructions for information.
- 'Wipe all partitions except sdcard' option within 4EXT recovery (this is a 'full wipe')
- Install ROM.

EDIT: once you get it booting again, DO NOT use ROM manager in any way on this phone. You don't need it, has caused problems on this phone, could have been the reason for your issues in the first place.

Dont know what I did but I got it going, Thanks Eddie for the help, is there a rom that i can download that will take it back to the factory rom...its running cyanogenmod 7 atm, and what about Rom Manager and CWM can I uninstalll them and put 4EXT on it instead?? Thanks heeps man

eddiehk6
Old
Thanks Meter 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk2wgw View Post
is there a rom that i can download that will take it back to the factory rom...its running cyanogenmod 7 atm
A factory ROM is not a custom ROM. If you want a full factory / stock ROM, you will need to flash an RUU (use the 2.3.3. GB WWE RUU)

If you intend to still use the phone, and install a few apps on it without running out of space, then you still need a custom ROM. With CM7, for maximum app space you need:
- cm7r2 hboot (flash with fastboot)
- partitioned sd card (using 4EXT recovery or gparted only, NOT CWM or minitool partition wizard)
- an app such as S2E or Darktremor A2SD to move apps and dalvik to the partition, or flash a compatible app2sd script
Or pick a ROM of your choice. The correct hboot, partition and A2SD method still apply to virtually all custom ROMs

Quote:
and what about Rom Manager and CWM can I uninstalll them and put 4EXT on it instead
Like I said, you don't need ROM manager. CWM recovery is ok as long as you only use it to backup, full wipe and install ROMs. don't use it to partition the sd card.

4EXT is better as it can partition and backup/wipe/install ROMs all in one. Flash it using fastboot, or install it using the 4EXT app in the thread.