Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,457 Members 51,774 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wifi not turning on on 4.4.3 and 4.4.4, but works on 4.4.2

Tip us?

Rhian
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Question [Q] Wifi not turning on on 4.4.3 and 4.4.4, but works on 4.4.2

Hi,

- Stock (or custom) rom 4.4.2 works fine. Wifi turns on and connects.
- Stock (or custom) roms 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 hang on "Turning Wifi on..." and stay that way. (The rest seems to work normally).

I have the exact same issue with my Nexus 4, but my Nexus 7 (2012/grouper/nakasi) doesn't have any wifi issues.

Things I tried:
Complete factory resets, factory images flashed (KTU84L/P), flashed Carbon nightly (20140621).
Flashed the radio from and KOT49H factory image (there isn't one in KTU84L or KUT84P), flashed the bootloader(s) from the 4.4.2, 4.4.3 and 4.4.4.
I even tried deleting (or rather renaming) the /data/misc/wifi and /data/misc/dhcp just in case.
Router is not the problem, I already tried resetting it, despite all my other wifi enabled devices having no problems.

Nothing turns on the wifi on my Nexus 7 (flo/razor) or 4 (mako/occam) when on 4.4.3 or 4.4.4...

I am suspecting Google of screwing up, but if that was the case, why don't I see a whole bunch of posts with this problem?

I'm running out of ideas. The weirdest thing is that on 4.4.2 (stock and carbon last 4.4.2 nightly) it works like a charm! And even weirder, it happens on 2 or my 3 different Nexuses.
CarbonRom on:
Nexus 4 as daily use device
---
HTC Sensation XE as spare
---
I & II
---
Asus Transformer TF300T Black with dock running [CROMi-X] by sbdags <3

Saturny
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Which roms have you tried? I'm running Pac-Man 4.4.3 (6/19 nightly) w/elementix kernel and WiFi works just fine.

Sent from my Insane S4 via XDA App.
Current Phone: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 16gb White Frost (GNF1 Sickness Style V3 w/ktoonsez kernel 7/12)-4.4.2.
Tablet: Nexus 7 2nd Gen 32GB (Pac-Man 8/25 Nightly w/ElementalX 2.14)-4.4.4.
Apple Ipod Touch: 4th Gen-6.1.3.

Recovery- TWRP 2.7.1.

Devices Of Old:
Samsung Galaxy S III 16GB Pebble Blue (Dandroid 4.12)-4.1.2-Gave to mom.
Nexus 7 2012 16GB (Pac-Man 8/25 Nightly)-4.4.4-Gave to mom.

Rhian
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturny View Post
Which roms have you tried? I'm running Pac-Man 4.4.3 (6/19 nightly) w/elementix kernel and WiFi works just fine.
That helped, sort of... ElementalX 2.13 doesn't work for me either, but 2.12 does!

I will test some more, but I'm considering staying on this combo for now until 4.4.4 (or maybe higher) matures a bit.

I still find it highly suspicious that Stock is giving problems too. I found a few comments on 4.4.3/4 release news posts on the net with this issue too.
CarbonRom on:
---
---
I & II
---

Bob Smith42
Old
(Last edited by Bob Smith42; 23rd June 2014 at 11:32 AM.)
Thanks Meter 108
I'm on 4.4.3 on Nexus 7 2013 (LTE) and mine does "Turning Wifi on..." hang every day. I reboot and the problem is sometimes fixed. If I reset my AP and then reboot the Wifi always works.

This is relatively new. I associated it with a newly installed App, Wifi Scheduler, but maybe its not the App.

Interesting.

Thanks for posting your question.

PS: I'm on AT&T prepaid SIM card, FYI.
PSS: I just had a problem with my PC network access, seems my DHCP router issued a duplicate IP address. Unsure if related.

Rhian
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Whatever the guys over at Carbon Rom did, it fixed my WiFi problems! Thread is Here.

They put some special fix in their rom. Nightly of the 24th has the fix. Those on a deb/lte will be fixed in tomorrow's nightly.
CarbonRom on:
---
---
I & II
---
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]