Ask a question

No registration required

Better full keyboard phone than MT4GS?

OP pimpmasters

2nd April 2014, 07:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
I am having flex cable issues (again) and I'm looking at possibly getting a new phone and wondered if anyone had any opinions of what other options are out there for people that must have a physical keyboard on their phone. I would love to hear from others who have researched the same thing or have even tried other phones. Thanks.
3rd April 2014, 09:17 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 2,970

6,114 posts
More
Really this phone is probably the best combination of quality of keyboard, speed, performance, camera and dev support
There are some with better keyboards (HTC vision, Samsung sidekick IMO) and some faster but none that match the camera (vision probably has best dev support and then doubleshot is next)
The galaxy relay is nice and possibly the only phone you can possibly call an upgrade to this one, lg is making one that is about the same as the relay but if it doesn't get developers than this one is still better
All in all, its still hard to beat the doubleshot so for the money I would recommend to just fix yours

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th April 2014, 08:45 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

Really this phone is probably the best combination of quality of keyboard, speed, performance, camera and dev support
There are some with better keyboards (HTC vision, Samsung sidekick IMO) and some faster but none that match the camera (vision probably has best dev support and then doubleshot is next)
The galaxy relay is nice and possibly the only phone you can possibly call an upgrade to this one, lg is making one that is about the same as the relay but if it doesn't get developers than this one is still better
All in all, its still hard to beat the doubleshot so for the money I would recommend to just fix yours

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I appreciate your response and feel the same way. I have 2 doubleshots and this 2nd one is starting to have flex cable issues causing the hard buttons to not work. I replaced the flex cable on the first one when the keyboard stopped working then when the touch screen stopped working and it wasn't the digitizer I got another flex cable but it didn't work out of the box. I sent that back and got a used one for cheap but now the flex cable on it is crapping out. I wish I could buy a GOOD flex cable of higher quality that would last longer. It's really the only problem I have with this phone.

Now that I have two of them though it's good for being able to narrow down part problems. I would caution people buying them used though as that almost guarantees you will not have to wait too long until you experience flex cable issues (according to my personal experience).
9th April 2014, 05:02 PM   |  #4  
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 131

404 posts
More
Most helpful Demkantor. I am on my second Doubleshot (both used). The first one had flex cable issues out of the box (could not hear the caller without turning on speakerphone) so I sent it back almost immediately. This one works great (except the trackpoint goes in and out - which isn't a big deal) but I wonder how much life is left in it. Getting one fixed is tricky for me because there isn't a T-Mobile in Canada, so even tracking down parts to do it myself may not be worth the hassle.

I will make a note of the Samsung Relay as it looks like the best option for me, if and when (knock, knock) I need to go that route.
24th June 2014, 04:52 PM   |  #5  
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 131

404 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel.maxuel

I will make a note of the Samsung Relay as it looks like the best option for me

I have since abandoned that route. Weird reason ... the Relay looks to be a little too big (I have a small camera case on a lanyard I keep in my pocket so I don't lose my expensive phone).

I have been keeping watch on the LG Optimus F3Q, a tiny bit shorter but a little wider than the Doubleshot (which should still fit my case). Bonus for me over the Relay is that it comes with Jellybean (4.1), so I would rather put the XPosed Framework on it than a ROM. Still no forum yet, but there is a discussion thread (where there is an unlock method - or two, and work on the bootloader):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2650840

It appears I'll be visiting the States this fall so I will look to see what I will be getting myself into.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread