Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,424 Members 36,295 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy S5 Root Questions

Tip us?
 
scholls22
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default [Q] Galaxy S5 Root Questions

I am completely new to android and the world of rooting. I have a galaxy S 5 (SM-G900A). I jailbroke my iphones in the past and found it to be pretty simple. I did the towelroot root last week and didn't know where to go or what to do next. Since the bootloader is locked is it worth it to do the root? Not sure if I am missing something but everything I look up is for the tons of other devices and different models for different carriers. I got a little overwhelmed. So my first question is should I even root this device and what exactly can I do or if you have the same device, what have you done with it?

2) Since the root, my S Health is not working and I noticed the phone to be a little jumpy. I did a factory reset on the device and found that I was still having issues. Then I realized the reset did not wipe the root, so I was able to remove the root with superuser and did another reset. My phone has been working great (non rooted). However, this morning it updated S Health and now I am back to not having that app work. Is there a fix and can it be done by only rooting again?

Thanks for any and everyone's help!
 
babygau
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 204
Posts: 528
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholls22 View Post
1)I am completely new to android and the world of rooting. I have a galaxy S 5 (SM-G900A). I jailbroke my iphones in the past and found it to be pretty simple. I did the towelroot root last week and didn't know where to go or what to do next. Since the bootloader is locked is it worth it to do the root? Not sure if I am missing something but everything I look up is for the tons of other devices and different models for different carriers. I got a little overwhelmed. So my first question is should I even root this device and what exactly can I do or if you have the same device, what have you done with it?
For any newcomer, the very first thing you MUST DO is to search information before asking anything. By doing so, you will obtain tremedous amount of knownledge

Here are a few links for your first questions:
S5-Why root?
lifehacker-10 reasons to root
trendblog-root benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholls22 View Post
2) Since the root, my S Health is not working and I noticed the phone to be a little jumpy. I did a factory reset on the device and found that I was still having issues. Then I realized the reset did not wipe the root, so I was able to remove the root with superuser and did another reset. My phone has been working great (non rooted). However, this morning it updated S Health and now I am back to not having that app work. Is there a fix and can it be done by only rooting again?

Thanks for any and everyone's help!
There is no need to root for your problem. This is very common issue for S5. To get your S Health worked as normal, go to Application Manager, delete data of S Health Service and Health Service
Please click THANKS button on the left instead of just saying if you find my post useful for you ,

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk Pro

Device: Galaxy S5 G900I
ROM: XtreStoLite ROM by @edgarf28
Kernel: KT Kernel by @ktoonsez with modified ktoonsifized v2 profile
 
scholls22
Old
(Last edited by scholls22; 24th June 2014 at 04:19 PM.)
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau View Post
For any newcomer, the very first thing you MUST DO is to search information before asking anything. By doing so, you will obtain tremedous amount of knownledge

Here are a few links for your first questions:
S5-Why root?
lifehacker-10 reasons to root
trendblog-root benefits




There is no need to root for your problem. This is very common issue for S5. To get your S Health worked as normal, go to Application Manager, delete data of S Health Service and Health Service
I did a few searches before I submitted my question. Everything I found is for different devices. I am really looking to see if I can do any of the things you kindly provided links to with the bootloader still locked with ATT. So, that is why I submitted my question.

I also searched this topic and there are many posts that say it is related to the root. It was working fine prior to rooting, as I used it everyday since the Galaxy 5 launched.
 
babygau
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 204
Posts: 528
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholls22 View Post
I also searched this topic and there are many posts that say it is related to the root. It was working fine prior to rooting, as I used it everyday since the Galaxy 5 launched.
It's because they flash either CUSTOM ROM or CUSTOM KERNEL which you have to root to do so.

Just do as I said, S Health bug will be solved.
Please click THANKS button on the left instead of just saying if you find my post useful for you ,

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk Pro

Device: Galaxy S5 G900I
ROM: XtreStoLite ROM by @edgarf28
Kernel: KT Kernel by @ktoonsez with modified ktoonsifized v2 profile
The Following User Says Thank You to babygau For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
scholls22
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau View Post
For any newcomer, the very first thing you MUST DO is to search information before asking anything. By doing so, you will obtain tremedous amount of knownledge

Here are a few links for your first questions:
S5-Why root?
lifehacker-10 reasons to root
trendblog-root benefits



There is no need to root for your problem. This is very common issue for S5. To get your S Health worked as normal, go to Application Manager, delete data of S Health Service and Health Service
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau View Post
It's because they flash either CUSTOM ROM or CUSTOM KERNEL which you have to root to do so.

Just do as I said, S Health bug will be solved.
Still not working and it is freezing my device. Thanks for the help though.
 
babygau
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 204
Posts: 528
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholls22 View Post
Still not working and it is freezing my device. Thanks for the help though.
You're welcome, just to make sure there are two things you need to delete both of their data: S Health and HealthService. Just deleting either of them will also result in FC
Please click THANKS button on the left instead of just saying if you find my post useful for you ,

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk Pro

Device: Galaxy S5 G900I
ROM: XtreStoLite ROM by @edgarf28
Kernel: KT Kernel by @ktoonsez with modified ktoonsifized v2 profile
 
savoritz
Old
#7  
savoritz's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 60
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau View Post
You're welcome, just to make sure there are two things you need to delete both of their data: S Health and HealthService. Just deleting either of them will also result in FC
a lot of roms have fixed that bug a while ago.
Lan:Wifi:

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes