Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Galaxy S5 Root Questions

OP scholls22

24th June 2014, 04:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
I am completely new to android and the world of rooting. I have a galaxy S 5 (SM-G900A). I jailbroke my iphones in the past and found it to be pretty simple. I did the towelroot root last week and didn't know where to go or what to do next. Since the bootloader is locked is it worth it to do the root? Not sure if I am missing something but everything I look up is for the tons of other devices and different models for different carriers. I got a little overwhelmed. So my first question is should I even root this device and what exactly can I do or if you have the same device, what have you done with it?

2) Since the root, my S Health is not working and I noticed the phone to be a little jumpy. I did a factory reset on the device and found that I was still having issues. Then I realized the reset did not wipe the root, so I was able to remove the root with superuser and did another reset. My phone has been working great (non rooted). However, this morning it updated S Health and now I am back to not having that app work. Is there a fix and can it be done by only rooting again?

Thanks for any and everyone's help!
24th June 2014, 05:00 PM   |  #2  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 209

526 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholls22

1)I am completely new to android and the world of rooting. I have a galaxy S 5 (SM-G900A). I jailbroke my iphones in the past and found it to be pretty simple. I did the towelroot root last week and didn't know where to go or what to do next. Since the bootloader is locked is it worth it to do the root? Not sure if I am missing something but everything I look up is for the tons of other devices and different models for different carriers. I got a little overwhelmed. So my first question is should I even root this device and what exactly can I do or if you have the same device, what have you done with it?

For any newcomer, the very first thing you MUST DO is to search information before asking anything. By doing so, you will obtain tremedous amount of knownledge

Here are a few links for your first questions:
S5-Why root?
lifehacker-10 reasons to root
trendblog-root benefits

Quote:

2) Since the root, my S Health is not working and I noticed the phone to be a little jumpy. I did a factory reset on the device and found that I was still having issues. Then I realized the reset did not wipe the root, so I was able to remove the root with superuser and did another reset. My phone has been working great (non rooted). However, this morning it updated S Health and now I am back to not having that app work. Is there a fix and can it be done by only rooting again?

Thanks for any and everyone's help!

There is no need to root for your problem. This is very common issue for S5. To get your S Health worked as normal, go to Application Manager, delete data of S Health Service and Health Service
24th June 2014, 05:14 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau

For any newcomer, the very first thing you MUST DO is to search information before asking anything. By doing so, you will obtain tremedous amount of knownledge

S5-Why root?
trendblog-root benefits

There is no need to root for your problem. This is very common issue for S5. To get your S Health worked as normal, go to Application Manager, delete data of S Health Service and Health Service

I did a few searches before I submitted my question. Everything I found is for different devices. I am really looking to see if I can do any of the things you kindly provided links to with the bootloader still locked with ATT. So, that is why I submitted my question.

I also searched this topic and there are many posts that say it is related to the root. It was working fine prior to rooting, as I used it everyday since the Galaxy 5 launched.
Last edited by scholls22; 24th June 2014 at 05:19 PM.
24th June 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #4  
Flag Melbourne

526 posts
More
Quote:

I also searched this topic and there are many posts that say it is related to the root. It was working fine prior to rooting, as I used it everyday since the Galaxy 5 launched.

It's because they flash either CUSTOM ROM or CUSTOM KERNEL which you have to root to do so.

Just do as I said, S Health bug will be solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to babygau For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2014, 05:23 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:

S5-Why root?
trendblog-root benefits

Quote:

It's because they flash either CUSTOM ROM or CUSTOM KERNEL which you have to root to do so.

Just do as I said, S Health bug will be solved.

Still not working and it is freezing my device. Thanks for the help though.
24th June 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #6  
Flag Melbourne

526 posts
More
Quote:

Still not working and it is freezing my device. Thanks for the help though.

You're welcome, just to make sure there are two things you need to delete both of their data: S Health and HealthService. Just deleting either of them will also result in FC
24th June 2014, 07:34 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 9

60 posts
More
Quote:

You're welcome, just to make sure there are two things you need to delete both of their data: S Health and HealthService. Just deleting either of them will also result in FC

a lot of roms have fixed that bug a while ago.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread