[Q] Third-party Qi charging pad help?

OP ckbcowboy

24th June 2014, 06:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
First, I'm new to Qi charging, so please forgive (and correct) any mistaken assumptions I might have!

Anyways, based on the Budget Wireless Charger Showdown: 5 Qi Chargers all $11 - $15 shootout in the Nexus 5 forum, I decided to purchase a few Qi chargers. I received them and tested them with my friend's Nexus 5, confirming that wireless charging worked. Pretty neat!

A few weeks later, my Galaxy S5 wireless charging back FINALLY came in. I put it on my phone, put the phone on the charger, and nothing. I tried all the chargers, no luck. Nothing charged. But the Nexus 5 charged just fine. Assuming it was defective, I returned the charging back and ordered another one. Same thing. My phone doesn't charge on these chargers. The backs are both official Samsung accessories, bearing the Qi logo.

Is it incorrect for me to assume that all Qi charging backs will charge all Qi phones? Could my phone be defective? Any troubleshooting ideas?

Regardless, I'd love a recommendation for an inexpensive Qi charging back for my Galaxy S5. I'm going to need 3 or 4 of them.

Thanks!
24th June 2014, 07:37 PM   |  #2  
Flag Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 21

64 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbcowboy

First, I'm new to Qi charging, so please forgive (and correct) any mistaken assumptions I might have!

Anyways, based on the Budget Wireless Charger Showdown: 5 Qi Chargers all $11 - $15 shootout in the Nexus 5 forum, I decided to purchase a few Qi chargers. I received them and tested them with my friend's Nexus 5, confirming that wireless charging worked. Pretty neat!

A few weeks later, my Galaxy S5 wireless charging back FINALLY came in. I put it on my phone, put the phone on the charger, and nothing. I tried all the chargers, no luck. Nothing charged. But the Nexus 5 charged just fine. Assuming it was defective, I returned the charging back and ordered another one. Same thing. My phone doesn't charge on these chargers. The backs are both official Samsung accessories, bearing the Qi logo.

Is it incorrect for me to assume that all Qi charging backs will charge all Qi phones? Could my phone be defective? Any troubleshooting ideas?
Regardless, I'd love a recommendation for an inexpensive Qi charging back for my Galaxy S5. I'm going to need 3 or 4 of them.

Thanks!

This thread may be of interest....
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2776884&page=3
24th June 2014, 08:04 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridflash

This thread may be of interest....
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2776884&page=3

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the Qi charger you posted there costs nearly $50. Did the price go up?

Also, the photos of that unit look identical to the chargers I've bought (that don't work). I wonder if they're the same or different internally... Hmmn.
24th June 2014, 09:48 PM   |  #4  
Flag Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 21

64 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbcowboy

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the Qi charger you posted there costs nearly $50. Did the price go up?

Also, the photos of that unit look identical to the chargers I've bought (that don't work). I wonder if they're the same or different internally... Hmmn.

Geez.. That was $18.90 when I posted it last week. There must have been a run on them.
They were a good source because they were in New York most of the other sellers of this model are in China.

Edit: They're selling the White pad for $17.95
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171314555159?lpid=82
Last edited by gridflash; 24th June 2014 at 10:11 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread