Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,303 Members 45,230 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Confused between Lumia 625 and Lumia 630

Tip us?

pulak861
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,123
Default Confused between Lumia 625 and Lumia 630

Hello guys.. Hope this is the right thread...

I have decided to buy my first BUDGET windows phone after watching the previews of windows 8.1 ( rumored to be released in June, 2014)..

So as a budget device i have funneled out 2 device of my choice.. Lumia 630 (comes with 8.1) and lumia 625(upgradable to 8.1???)...

Things i dont like about lumia 625 is its screen quality ( based on youtube reviews) and no on screen nav bar (630 will get one)....apart from this this is a perfect choice due to its front cam and flash...

things i dont like about 630 is that it doesnt have a front facing camera and flash.. But the screen quality seems to be better than 630.. and the on screen nav bar and most importantly the quad cores...

i get it that all cant be acquired at the same time in a BUDGET device...

So i have finally decided to buy one on the basis of the CPU... 625 has a dual core and 630 will get a quad core..

So, will there be a HUGE performance difference between these two due to the extra pair of cores on 630??

Will buying 625 be a good investment in spite of its bad screen and dual cores???

Is there any ACTUAL difference in performance between 625 and 630 ( in my country 630 is not available for testing.. so any insight with hands on experience is welcome)

And last but not the least which of these two will be more future proof??
HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

My Works :

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,686
I'd expect the 630 to be more future-proof, but the 625 is good for at least the next two years or so, I expect. Well, it'll be well behind the curve by then, but that will be true of any budget phone. The 630 will probably be respectable a bit longer, though.

The lack of a flash would really irritate me, as I use my camera's flash as a flashlight all the time. Even on phones with actual xenon flashes, Nokia usually includes an LED to act as a flashlight.

The performance difference will be there, but it won't be huge. Most things that are CPU-bound won't benefit much from more cores. There are definitely exceptions, of course; for example when multitasking, but the usual limiter there is the RAM.

The screen on the 625 strikes me as being largely aimed at people with bad eyesight, honestly; it's the kind of thing my parents might like but the low PPI would bother me a lot. But then, I care a *lot* more about screen real estate than most people. Your typical user with a high-resolution phone turns the effective DPI down a bunch to make the text large enough to read and the buttons large enough to hit.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "on-screen nav bar". If you mean using software buttons that are technically part of the screen, I don't think that'll make much difference; all Windows phones have the same set of buttons right now anyhow (although I've heard Microsoft is relaxing that requirement).
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pulak861
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
I'd expect the 630 to be more future-proof, but the 625 is good for at least the next two years or so, I expect. Well, it'll be well behind the curve by then, but that will be true of any budget phone. The 630 will probably be respectable a bit longer, though.

The lack of a flash would really irritate me, as I use my camera's flash as a flashlight all the time. Even on phones with actual xenon flashes, Nokia usually includes an LED to act as a flashlight.

The performance difference will be there, but it won't be huge. Most things that are CPU-bound won't benefit much from more cores. There are definitely exceptions, of course; for example when multitasking, but the usual limiter there is the RAM.

The screen on the 625 strikes me as being largely aimed at people with bad eyesight, honestly; it's the kind of thing my parents might like but the low PPI would bother me a lot. But then, I care a *lot* more about screen real estate than most people. Your typical user with a high-resolution phone turns the effective DPI down a bunch to make the text large enough to read and the buttons large enough to hit.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "on-screen nav bar". If you mean using software buttons that are technically part of the screen, I don't think that'll make much difference; all Windows phones have the same set of buttons right now anyhow (although I've heard Microsoft is relaxing that requirement).

thanks for the informative answers...two years is a more than enough great deal if windows supports lumia 625 for that long ( atleast the 8.1 and the next version) ... as u have mentioned the performance difference wont be THAT huge so i will surely be buying a 625... front cam, flash ( i also use it as a light source in emergencies) these things are too precious to give up for some pure black display with higher PPI... thanks..
HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

My Works :

kolembo
Old
(Last edited by kolembo; 14th May 2014 at 04:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 146
OK.
Looked at it again, I think you're definately better off buying the 625
They'll upgrade your softwares soon
The 630 improvement is badly thought out and executed... The 625 is actually better built.
And it's still Nokia.
Go out and but the 625
The Following User Says Thank You to kolembo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pulak861
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolembo View Post
OK.
Looked at it again, I think you're definately better off buying the 625
They'll upgrade your softwares soon
The 630 improvement is badly thought out and executed... The 625 is actually better built.
And it's still Nokia.
Go out and but the 625
definitely buying 625 thanks....
HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

My Works :

The Following User Says Thank You to pulak861 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pulak861
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,123
Hi guys sorry again for bothering... how is 820 for a choice??? its only a bit more pricy than 625 but seems to have better hardware.... release date is though a lot older.... any ideas???
HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

My Works :

Nettwerk
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Well Lumia 820 is same old as Lumia 620. If you want better screen, better cover quality than Lumia 920 or 925. If you aren't interested in new latest device, than Lumia 920 be good choise and cheaper.
Nokia Lumia Icon | Nokia Lumia 928 White | Samsung Ativ S
Used: HTC Windows Phone 8X | Huawei Ascen W1 | HTC Titan | Samsung Omnia 7 | HTC HD7 | Palm Pre | iPhone 4/3Gs/3G/1Gen
The Following User Says Thank You to Nettwerk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dragutinvucic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Post Lumia 630 Q

Can anybody tell me, is lumia 630 wp cracked?

I mean, can there be installed any Android ROM?

anaheiim
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 895

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragutinvucic View Post
Can anybody tell me, is lumia 630 wp cracked?

I mean, can there be installed any Android ROM?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post52177866