Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,116 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I flash firmware on my phone without deleting my data?

Tip us?
 
kostas90
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 74
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default [Q] Can I flash firmware on my phone without deleting my data?

I want to flash firmware on my phone (preferably the one it already has) as it is unresponsive. I can't get it to download mode or anything but odin seems to recognize it so can I do something to flash some firmware over it and maybe have it turn on?
 
abj2aqua
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 26
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dehradun
Yes you can flash the same firmware using Odin without losing your data, but be sure to make a Nandroid backup just in case
 
kostas90
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 74
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by abj2aqua View Post
Yes you can flash the same firmware using Odin without losing your data, but be sure to make a Nandroid backup just in case
and how do I do that? Can I extract info from that?
 
abj2aqua
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 26
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dehradun
Are you on a custom recovery or on stock? Phone rooted? Yes you can extract data from nandroid backups

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk
 
fburgos
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 131
Posts: 538
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas90 View Post
I want to flash firmware on my phone (preferably the one it already has) as it is unresponsive. I can't get it to download mode or anything but odin seems to recognize it so can I do something to flash some firmware over it and maybe have it turn on?
If you can't go in download mode I think you can not use Odin even if it recognizes the phone


sent from my i9192 with CM11 by sekil
 
kostas90
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 74
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fburgos View Post
If you can't go in download mode I think you can not use Odin even if it recognizes the phone


sent from my i9192 with CM11 by sekil
I found no such option
 
fburgos
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 131
Posts: 538
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas90 View Post
I found no such option
is your phone roted?

yo could go in terminal emulator and use su reboot download, or reboot recovery
 
kostas90
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 74
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fburgos View Post
is your phone roted?

yo could go in terminal emulator and use su reboot download, or reboot recovery
Im not familiar with those and my phone was not rooted. Thanks for the help but I handed it in to samsung yesterday and they will delete all of my files anyway

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Run, Jump, and Shoot in Tales of Ciaxia

There are certain types of games that have become paramount of the portable gaming world. As we have … more

Samsung Gear Live Stock Firmware Image Pulled, Temp Root

Just yesterday,XDA Recognized Developer and TV ProducerAdamOutlertore apart … more

Draw a Line and Let Your Device Do the Rest with LineitApp

Over the years, since evenbefore Android entered the scene, we have striven to … more

[APK] Chrome Beta 37 Brings First Traces of Material Design

With Android L on the horizon, it’s no surprise that Google’s … more