Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,543 Members 38,031 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Soft Bricked - Solution (Worked for me)

Tip us?

esgie
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornobohornish View Post
my dear sir, don't know how but my note pro start up automatically. before some minutes on my display "unauthorized operation occur, please restart you device" was showing. so after pressing ok, device tried to restart but it was stuck on recovery mode. so i started my device manually. when I pressed reboot from recovery everything was fine and still now it is working properly!

I don't know is going gone on my device. but is a mystery for me!

one thing, after trying to fix my devices long time my note pro battery was empty and i could not able to charge because it was stuck on download mode. after searching i got a boot image.tar.md5 for SM-P905. and install that Samsung logo appear, and device started charging. and after charge a few, It was start up!

now when I am connecting it with my pc, kies says I need to update my device. but previously my device was updated the latest software. I am giving the screen shot!

what will I do now? just update via kies and star to operate my device normally?
Did I understood well that after emptying the battery of the non-working device out and recharging it back again at least a little, the device started to work again? Seems like... eeee...? some voltage circulating through the mainboard was the cause?
Well, I bet it was faulty or somehow corrupted boot.img (as it was the only partition you have flashed between the time the device seemed damaged and time the device started to work again), but I am not sure what really happened.

As to the firmware update question: from the screenshot attached I can see that you are now running XXUNAE firmware. Proposed XXUNC3 is a newer one so in general it is recommended to do the update. However, we cannot be sure anyhow if your device will not react in a same way as before. However, current updates seems to be minor ones (they concentrate on security policies and not on features...) so my recommendation is to leave it alone, at least until some more important update...

ornobohornish
Old
Thanks Meter 13
ohh nooo! befor reading you reply I was tried to update my device by kies. but same thing happen here. stuck on Invalid ext4 image!

ornobohornish
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Default i am so tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by esgie View Post
Did I understood well that after emptying the battery of the non-working device out and recharging it back again at least a little, the device started to work again? Seems like... eeee...? some voltage circulating through the mainboard was the cause?
Well, I bet it was faulty or somehow corrupted boot.img (as it was the only partition you have flashed between the time the device seemed damaged and time the device started to work again), but I am not sure what really happened.

As to the firmware update question: from the screenshot attached I can see that you are now running XXUNAE firmware. Proposed XXUNC3 is a newer one so in general it is recommended to do the update. However, we cannot be sure anyhow if your device will not react in a same way as before. However, current updates seems to be minor ones (they concentrate on security policies and not on features...) so my recommendation is to leave it alone, at least until some more important update...

emergency firmware recovery start on kies but also stuck on "invalid ext4 image" and my my pc says to go service center! giving two screen shot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2781090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	2781091  

esgie
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
emergency firmware recovery start on kies but also stuck on "invalid ext4 image" and my my pc says to go service center! giving two screen shot!
My recommendation: repeat the procedure Ive posted earlier. Well se what happens
It looks like some part of your nand may be physically corrupted... and unwriteable.
The Following User Says Thank You to esgie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ornobohornish
Old
Thanks Meter 13
before closing my notebook I am just hit the "CF-Auto-Root-viennalte-viennaltexx-smp905.tar" and surprisingly saw after successfully install the root file by Odin, my device start-up again. but problem is "unfortunately Samsung keyboard stopped" sowing. so I have install google stock keyboard and without Samsung keyboard it is running properly. though it is now working properly without samsung keyboard but I am little bit unhappy with my new Note Pro, I have just purchased this 3-6-14 and to day 5-6-14. I can not even look at thish properly because after purchasing it is disturbing! many thanks dear sir!

now I will try again with your instruction!

ornobohornish
Old
(Last edited by ornobohornish; 5th June 2014 at 05:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Default can not find "simg2img"

Quote:
Ok, we shall try to flash firmware otherwise, using more advanced method.
Note that if ur knox isn't yet tripped - it WILL trip it, breaking your warranty (in this case it's better to send the device to service center - i suppose something's broken...). If it is tripped, you have nothing to lose...
1. Download:
http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/25492738/file.html
do not rename the file, it should be named recovery.img
2. Using this tool
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2446269
convert provided recovery.img to tar.md5 format
3. Flash it with odin (it should take a few sec to finish and it should succeed as recovery seems to flash ok on your device)
4. Enter recovery mode by holding power+home+vol up. Warning should appear about warranty and then custom recovery should appear on screen..
5. Using touch menu seek thru options and thru wipe menu format the system partition, as well as wipe/format data and cache (any errors?). Leave the device for a moment...
6. Simultanously, open one of 2+ gig tar.md5 firmwares (i recommend to choose one which you tried to flash with odin in your last trial) downloaded from sammobile with winrar or 7zip (if error about bad end of file appears ignore it) and extract system.img.ext4 somewhere...
7. Download simg2img from post #19
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2191930&page=2
and use it to convert sparse image extracted from firmware tar.md5 (system.img.ext4) to raw image (let's say output file is called system.img)
8. Copy system.img to root of empty micro sd card (fat32 or exfat formatted). Check if it has been copied correctly. Put the micro sd card into device. Reboot recovery once again
9. Advanced -> terminal/console -> use default directory ( / ), console window should open. Using simple onscreen keyboard input:
dd if=/external_sd/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p23
Be careful - if ur on P905 the last number should be "23", inputting otherwise may result in unrecoverable hard brick!!! Also, process may take a LONGER while, like 10 mins, its ok, even if there is no progress indicator. Youll know it finished when keyboard will show back again (any errors here??)
10. Reboot AGAIN to recovery, go to Mounts menu, tick system, data and cache (does tick within system work?)
11. Go to terminal as in pt 9, but this time enter:
restorecon -R /cache
restorecon -R /data
restorecon -R /system
(errors?)
12. Reboot into system and cross yer fingers

dear sir,

in your link nowhere i found "simg2img"! I searched all the page number 9 but no where I found "simg2img"!!!

help please

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

able to download simg2img from this link: http://web.djodjo.org/?a=download:an...inux:ext4tools

but how to use it to convert sparse image extracted from firmware tar.md5 (system.img.ext4) to raw image (let's say output file is called system.img)?

how to use simg2img?

jopop
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Question Will this work with the SM-P900?

Quote:
9. Advanced -> terminal/console -> use default directory ( / ), console window should open. Using simple onscreen keyboard input:
dd if=/external_sd/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p23
Be careful - if ur on P905 the last number should be "23", inputting otherwise may result in unrecoverable hard brick!
Hi Esgie.

I'm assuming that most of this would work for the SM-P900 (wifi only) version too? What would I use for the dd command in step 9?

Thanks for your help.

Jo Pop

MLodyXX
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
before closing my notebook I am just hit the "CF-Auto-Root-viennalte-viennaltexx-smp905.tar" and surprisingly saw after successfully install the root file by Odin, my device start-up again. but problem is "unfortunately Samsung keyboard stopped" sowing. so I have install google stock keyboard and without Samsung keyboard it is running properly. though it is now working properly without samsung keyboard but I am little bit unhappy with my new Note Pro, I have just purchased this 3-6-14 and to day 5-6-14. I can not even look at thish properly because after purchasing it is disturbing! many thanks dear sir!

now I will try again with your instruction!
I had same problem, install rom from greece. Some roms from sammobile and samsung firmware are giving errors, I have tested polish and british giving "odin: invalid ext4 image" error. After installing greece one everything works flawlessly, samsung keyboard also.