Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,513 Members 51,316 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does S-Off hurt battery life?

Tip us?

pbassjunk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Question Does S-Off hurt battery life?

I've noticed a significant drop in battery life over the last few months corresponding directly to when I S-off'd my device. I've RUU'd, wiped, reformat, all of the usual stuff to make sure it's not crud apps, sync off, wifi scanning off, google now off, etc etc.

The reason I'm wondering about specifically S-off being the culprit is due to the clause HTC includes at the beginning of phone setup.. 'regardless of your 'contact htc' option, your device is considered a test device so it doesn't matter what you choose, your phone will always talk to HTC' (paraphrased). If the phone is capturing and updating various testing metrics to HTC it's never really sleeping and constantly keeping a data connection alive (even if very little data is sent).

I'm attaching a screenshot of what really 'broke the camels back' (or however it goes..). I'm not sure why wifi is shown as being on, it is most definitely turned off from the drop down panel.

Less than 5H of the phone being off the charger, less than 30M of screen on time.. something is keeping it alive and I have no idea what. This is a fresh install, I wiped the phone (w/ no restore) 3 days earlier. Amazon, Plex, Chromecast and Netflix installed. (amazon downloaded an album i had purchased, but that's it)

I've never had good battery life, but this is now in abysmal territory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-08-14-19-29[1].png
Views:	194
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2789111  

StormyNight
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbassjunk View Post
I've noticed a significant drop in battery life over the last few months corresponding directly to when I S-off'd my device. I've RUU'd, wiped, reformat, all of the usual stuff to make sure it's not crud apps, sync off, wifi scanning off, google now off, etc etc.

The reason I'm wondering about specifically S-off being the culprit is due to the clause HTC includes at the beginning of phone setup.. 'regardless of your 'contact htc' option, your device is considered a test device so it doesn't matter what you choose, your phone will always talk to HTC' (paraphrased). If the phone is capturing and updating various testing metrics to HTC it's never really sleeping and constantly keeping a data connection alive (even if very little data is sent).

I'm attaching a screenshot of what really 'broke the camels back' (or however it goes..). I'm not sure why wifi is shown as being on, it is most definitely turned off from the drop down panel.

Less than 5H of the phone being off the charger, less than 30M of screen on time.. something is keeping it alive and I have no idea what. This is a fresh install, I wiped the phone (w/ no restore) 3 days earlier. Amazon, Plex, Chromecast and Netflix installed. (amazon downloaded an album i had purchased, but that's it)

I've never had good battery life, but this is now in abysmal territory.
S-OFF won't affect battery afaik, because on my One I'm getting the same battery life as I did before I did S-OFF. Try using a wakelock detector to see what's affecting your battery. Also, try flashing a custom kernel (such as Kangaroo Kernel) and see if that improves battery life.

_Epic
Old
Thanks Meter 1179
No.

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

If you enjoy my work or I have helped you in anyway, let me know. Hit the "Thanks" button.
The Following User Says Thank You to _Epic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sauprankul
Old
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Epic View Post
No.

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
^^^
Correct me if I'm wrong, but rooting, custom recoveries, S-off, changing pretty much anything that isn't the OS or the kernel will not affect the operation of the device. It will only ALLOW you to change it.

On a side note, you know what scares the living crap out of me? When I'm on a stock ROM and the Dialer asks for superuser. What the hell is up with that?

spacious
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
^^^
Correct me if I'm wrong, but rooting, custom recoveries, S-off, changing pretty much anything that isn't the OS or the kernel will not affect the operation of the device. It will only ALLOW you to change it.

On a side note, you know what scares the living crap out of me? When I'm on a stock ROM and the Dialer asks for superuser. What the hell is up with that?
System apps in a stock ROM usually already have Super User permissions. When you root and install SuperSU all apps must ask for super user permissions again. There's a check box in the settings to auto allow them. Previously I don't think regular SuperUser made system apps get permission again.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to spacious For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sauprankul
Old
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacious View Post
System apps in a stock ROM usually already have Super User permissions. When you root and install SuperSU all apps must ask for super user permissions again. There's a check box in the settings to auto allow them. Previously I don't think regular SuperUser made system apps get permission again.
Yeah I should have googled it before posting lol . Thanks

fryguy503
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I S-Off'd on 1.55 Modified and have not seen any change in battery life, it should not be depended on S-Off but rather the Rom and Configuration you are using.