FORUMS

Wi-Fi Enabled on the LG G Watch R

XDA Recognized Developer Tasssadar managed to enable Wi-Fi connectivity on the LG G Watch R. … more

Google I/O 2015 Recap – XDA TV

Google I/o 2015 has come and gone. The biggest celebration of Google by Google has wrapped up. … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (May 15 – 30)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Google No Longer Sending Calendar SMS Notifications

In a not entirely surprising move, Google announced that it’s putting an … more

Does S-Off hurt battery life?

Thanks Meter: 38
 
By pbassjunk, Senior Member on 9th June 2014, 02:28 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I've noticed a significant drop in battery life over the last few months corresponding directly to when I S-off'd my device. I've RUU'd, wiped, reformat, all of the usual stuff to make sure it's not crud apps, sync off, wifi scanning off, google now off, etc etc.

The reason I'm wondering about specifically S-off being the culprit is due to the clause HTC includes at the beginning of phone setup.. 'regardless of your 'contact htc' option, your device is considered a test device so it doesn't matter what you choose, your phone will always talk to HTC' (paraphrased). If the phone is capturing and updating various testing metrics to HTC it's never really sleeping and constantly keeping a data connection alive (even if very little data is sent).

I'm attaching a screenshot of what really 'broke the camels back' (or however it goes..). I'm not sure why wifi is shown as being on, it is most definitely turned off from the drop down panel.

Less than 5H of the phone being off the charger, less than 30M of screen on time.. something is keeping it alive and I have no idea what. This is a fresh install, I wiped the phone (w/ no restore) 3 days earlier. Amazon, Plex, Chromecast and Netflix installed. (amazon downloaded an album i had purchased, but that's it)

I've never had good battery life, but this is now in abysmal territory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-08-14-19-29[1].png
Views:	194
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2789111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-08-14-19-29[1].png
Views:	194
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2789111  
 
 
9th June 2014, 05:55 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Hyderabad, Telangana
Thanks Meter: 175
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbassjunk

I've noticed a significant drop in battery life over the last few months corresponding directly to when I S-off'd my device. I've RUU'd, wiped, reformat, all of the usual stuff to make sure it's not crud apps, sync off, wifi scanning off, google now off, etc etc.

The reason I'm wondering about specifically S-off being the culprit is due to the clause HTC includes at the beginning of phone setup.. 'regardless of your 'contact htc' option, your device is considered a test device so it doesn't matter what you choose, your phone will always talk to HTC' (paraphrased). If the phone is capturing and updating various testing metrics to HTC it's never really sleeping and constantly keeping a data connection alive (even if very little data is sent).

I'm attaching a screenshot of what really 'broke the camels back' (or however it goes..). I'm not sure why wifi is shown as being on, it is most definitely turned off from the drop down panel.

Less than 5H of the phone being off the charger, less than 30M of screen on time.. something is keeping it alive and I have no idea what. This is a fresh install, I wiped the phone (w/ no restore) 3 days earlier. Amazon, Plex, Chromecast and Netflix installed. (amazon downloaded an album i had purchased, but that's it)

I've never had good battery life, but this is now in abysmal territory.

S-OFF won't affect battery afaik, because on my One I'm getting the same battery life as I did before I did S-OFF. Try using a wakelock detector to see what's affecting your battery. Also, try flashing a custom kernel (such as Kangaroo Kernel) and see if that improves battery life.
9th June 2014, 05:56 PM |#3  
_Epic's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lakeland, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,195
 
More
No.

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to _Epic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th June 2014, 05:05 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 266
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Epic

No.

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

^^^
Correct me if I'm wrong, but rooting, custom recoveries, S-off, changing pretty much anything that isn't the OS or the kernel will not affect the operation of the device. It will only ALLOW you to change it.

On a side note, you know what scares the living crap out of me? When I'm on a stock ROM and the Dialer asks for superuser. What the hell is up with that?
12th June 2014, 04:06 PM |#5  
spacious's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

^^^
Correct me if I'm wrong, but rooting, custom recoveries, S-off, changing pretty much anything that isn't the OS or the kernel will not affect the operation of the device. It will only ALLOW you to change it.

On a side note, you know what scares the living crap out of me? When I'm on a stock ROM and the Dialer asks for superuser. What the hell is up with that?

System apps in a stock ROM usually already have Super User permissions. When you root and install SuperSU all apps must ask for super user permissions again. There's a check box in the settings to auto allow them. Previously I don't think regular SuperUser made system apps get permission again.
The Following User Says Thank You to spacious For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th June 2014, 07:56 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 266
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacious

System apps in a stock ROM usually already have Super User permissions. When you root and install SuperSU all apps must ask for super user permissions again. There's a check box in the settings to auto allow them. Previously I don't think regular SuperUser made system apps get permission again.

Yeah I should have googled it before posting lol . Thanks
25th June 2014, 12:30 AM |#7  
fryguy503's Avatar
Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
I S-Off'd on 1.55 Modified and have not seen any change in battery life, it should not be depended on S-Off but rather the Rom and Configuration you are using.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes