XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Ignorant Kernel Questions

Tip us?

michaellasalle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Ignorant Kernel Questions

So I've tried a bunch of different ROMs (CleanROM, Alliance, Beans, CM, OMNI, "Stock", probably more), but I've never really understood kernels. It seems some custom ROMs have a kernel built in (or several to choose from via Aroma), while others do not. Right now I'm running AOKP (4.4.2) with the kernel from OMNI (3.0.64-OMNI-g5f47648), presumably because that was the previous ROM I flashed with a kernel. I'm not too concerned with customization, more with stability.

I've been having a few minor bugs and crashes and I'd like to try perhaps the stock kernel to see if that might help, but I have some questions:

1) Does it matter when flashing a kernel whether the ROM is TW or AOSP?
2) Are there multiple versions of kernels that correspond with the Android version of the ROM?
3) What's the best/easiest way to flash a kernel, presumably through the custom recovery like a ROM?
4) Where can I find the stock kernel? I found this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2610870) with the stock MJ9 kernel, but going back to my first two questions I'm not sure if it would work with my current ROM.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight anyone can provide.

lacoursiere18
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4,280

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellasalle View Post
So I've tried a bunch of different ROMs (CleanROM, Alliance, Beans, CM, OMNI, "Stock", probably more), but I've never really understood kernels. It seems some custom ROMs have a kernel built in (or several to choose from via Aroma), while others do not. Right now I'm running AOKP (4.4.2) with the kernel from OMNI (3.0.64-OMNI-g5f47648), presumably because that was the previous ROM I flashed with a kernel. I'm not too concerned with customization, more with stability.

I've been having a few minor bugs and crashes and I'd like to try perhaps the stock kernel to see if that might help, but I have some questions:

2) Are there multiple versions of kernels that correspond with the Android version of the ROM?
3) What's the best/easiest way to flash a kernel, presumably through the custom recovery like a ROM?
4) Where can I find the stock kernel? I found this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2610870) with the stock MJ9 kernel, but going back to my first two questions I'm not sure if it would work with my current ROM.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight anyone can provide.
Yes. TW and AOSP kernels are different.. The only one, that I believe, that can be used with both is Devil kernel for Dual Booting

Yes. Usually every version of android that gets updated.. the kernel does as well

Yes you can flash kernels through a custom recovery. Most of the time they are included with the Rom that you flash. A lot of the custom ones out have flashable zip for you to flash them through a recovery.

No this will NOT work with a AOSP rom.. The kernel will be specific to that ROM and every other TW 4.3 ROM, but NOT AOSP

Hit "Thanks" if I helped you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lacoursiere18 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

michaellasalle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacoursiere18 View Post
Yes. TW and AOSP kernels are different.. The only one, that I believe, that can be used with both is Devil kernel for Dual Booting
Thanks for the explanations, that helps tremendously. I'm confused now, however, because several people on the AOKP thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2453566) claim to be on "stock kernel". Is there a stock kernel for AOSP that I'm missing?

lacoursiere18
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4,280

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for the explanations, that helps tremendously. I'm confused now, however, because several people on the AOKP thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2453566) claim to be on "stock kernel". Is there a stock kernel for AOSP that I'm missing?
Yea the one that flashes with AOKP.. loll

michaellasalle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Yea the one that flashes with AOKP.. loll
Well that's what I thought, but why then would I be using an OMNI kernel (3.0.64-OMNI-g5f47648) when I have flashed the last three AOKP nightly ROMs that have come out? Or am I missing something here?

lacoursiere18
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4,280

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Well that's what I thought, but why then would I be using an OMNI kernel (3.0.64-OMNI-g5f47648) when I have flashed the last three AOKP nightly ROMs that have come out? Or am I missing something here?
Maybe he uses that kernel.. AOSP kernels, I believe are pretty similar.. I may be wrong, I am by NO MEANS a kernel guru..I would open you zip of your ROM (AOKP) and take a peak.. if there is a boot.img than it flashes a kernel.. and if your says OMNI then thats the kernel the dev has used..

nealman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Stock

If I'm on the stock rom and want to go back to the original kernel can I just restore the boot img in recovery?

lacoursiere18
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4,280

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealman View Post
If I'm on the stock rom and want to go back to the original kernel can I just restore the boot img in recovery?
Should be able to if you back it up previously.. but make sure it is same rom.. TouchWiz for TouchWiz.. AOSP for AOSP

nealman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Should be able to if you back it up previously.. but make sure it is same rom.. TouchWiz for TouchWiz.. AOSP for AOSP
Thank you sir. It worked just fine.