[Q] Nexus 7 won't connect to Windows, can't root, can't flash - stuck?!

OP darnocs1

19th June 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

190 posts
So I rooted my Nexus 7 (2013) a while back, and it was working fine. I have TWRP recovery installed, bootloader unlocked, and I thought it was rooted. Then (don't kill me, I can't remember what I did, it was so long ago - I think maybe I installed the official KitKat update, although I am pretty sure I sideloaded a rooted version of the stock KK ROM), root just stopped working. Root Checker says I'm not rooted, even though I have the SU app installed. So, I thought, I'll just flash the SU.zip from recovery. So I flash it. And literally nothing happens. It says it flashed successfully, but when I reboot, no root.

In fact, any time I flash anything, it appears to work, but doesn't actually do anything. I tried flashing a different ROM and no dice. I tried accepting the official 4.4.2 update and again, looked like it flashed, but was still 4.4 when I rebooted.

So I thought I'll just plug it into my PC and re-root and maybe flash everything if need be. Except, when I plug it in, it 1) isn't recognized by my computer at all, no matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall drivers, and 2) the ADB connected icon doesn't show up, even when I enable it in Developer Settings.

So basically I'm dead in the water: I can't do anything via recovery, and if recovery is messed up, I can't do anything because it won't connect to my computer (Windows 7, SP1, 64 bit). I have a Mac running OS X Mavericks, if anyone knows some Terminal tricks for stuff.

So…advice?
19th June 2014, 05:47 PM   |  #2  
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 141

439 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darnocs1

So I rooted my Nexus 7 (2013) a while back, and it was working fine. I have TWRP recovery installed, bootloader unlocked, and I thought it was rooted. Then (don't kill me, I can't remember what I did, it was so long ago - I think maybe I installed the official KitKat update, although I am pretty sure I sideloaded a rooted version of the stock KK ROM), root just stopped working. Root Checker says I'm not rooted, even though I have the SU app installed. So, I thought, I'll just flash the SU.zip from recovery. So I flash it. And literally nothing happens. It says it flashed successfully, but when I reboot, no root.

In fact, any time I flash anything, it appears to work, but doesn't actually do anything. I tried flashing a different ROM and no dice. I tried accepting the official 4.4.2 update and again, looked like it flashed, but was still 4.4 when I rebooted.

So I thought I'll just plug it into my PC and re-root and maybe flash everything if need be. Except, when I plug it in, it 1) isn't recognized by my computer at all, no matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall drivers, and 2) the ADB connected icon doesn't show up, even when I enable it in Developer Settings.

So basically I'm dead in the water: I can't do anything via recovery, and if recovery is messed up, I can't do anything because it won't connect to my computer (Windows 7, SP1, 64 bit). I have a Mac running OS X Mavericks, if anyone knows some Terminal tricks for stuff.

So…advice?

Does it recognize your device when it's booted into the bootloader (aka fastboot mode)?
24th June 2014, 11:58 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

190 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charesa39

Does it recognize your device when it's booted into the bootloader (aka fastboot mode)?

It didn't, but I found I was using a bad USB cable. Swapped out, and now it works (yay). However, root still wouldn't work after I ran several rooting methods from the computer.

Finally, I went to the Play Store, downloaded Superuser from Clockworkmod, followed their link in that description to download the flashable zip, flashed that, and FINALLY got root working. So happy.
25th June 2014, 06:08 AM   |  #4  
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 141

439 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darnocs1

It didn't, but I found I was using a bad USB cable. Swapped out, and now it works (yay). However, root still wouldn't work after I ran several rooting methods from the computer.

Finally, I went to the Play Store, downloaded Superuser from Clockworkmod, followed their link in that description to download the flashable zip, flashed that, and FINALLY got root working. So happy.

Cool. Glad it worked out for you.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread