Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,016 Members 50,101 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recover Knox?

Tip us?

bbs2web
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Recover Knox?

I've had a terribly laggy experience on my SM-P605 ever since turning it on for the first time. The original firmware was Vodafone infested so I spent the first week trying to find bloat free versions before trying custom editions (xKat).

Long story short my Knox is triggered but I am no closer to fixing any of the really annoying issues:
- WiFi constantly reconnects (35 other devices are fine)
- Google Chrome top bar 'jiggels' (distracting)
- Mobile data and WiFi stop working after 2+ days and only work again after rebooting
- Video playback in embedded web pages stutters

I'm fed up and would like to finally have a properly working device, my 3 year old S3 (i9300) running CyanogenMod exhibits none these issues...

My question: Is there a way I can reset Knox, apply a stock firmware and get Samsung to credit the unit?

pitchdarkice
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Nope, once tripped it cannot be reset (un-tripped)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

esgie
Old
Thanks Meter 75
As to the Knox warranty bit, it probably CAN be un-tripped, however, no-one knows how to do it (yet...?) ...

As you may know, a working, Knox-resetting Odin package for one of Note 3 variants leaked some time ago (heh don't get too enthusiastic, it does work only on the specific variant of Note 3 with specific bootloader version...). This seems not to be very helpful, however, it confirms that resetting Knox IS possible (at least on Exynos based devices). It also confirm that Samsung did not tell us all the truth, stating that the Knox is absolutely unrecoverable, because it is based on e-fuse (so it gets physically blown when Knox is triggered) - it seems that either e-fuse is a myth or there are some "substitution" e-fuses included in the hardware.

But as for now, it is true that you unfortunately cannot do anything with the triggered Knox (BUT there is a chance that Samsung service centre won't notice that... there were also ideas such as putting the device into microwave oven for 2-3 secs so the device will be damaged in a way making it impossible for samsung to check the knox status, but they shall be considered as illegal...)

And as to your issues with the device - have you tried adding:
ro.securestorage.support=false
to your build.prop (or changing the value from "true" to "false" if the property "ro.securestorage.support" is present there...).