Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Google Adds New Features to Drive, Sheets, Slides and Docs

In the last few months, Google has been working very hard to adapt all its apps to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Is S-OFF needed to switch carriers ?

OP abhishekk89

25th June 2014, 02:07 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Lafayette, IN
Thanks Meter: 0

31 posts
More
I have a T-Mobile HTC One M8 which is bootloader unlocked and rooted with custom recovery. I also have a custom ROM (Viper One) in there. However I couldn't achieve S-OFF (tough luck! ). So my questions is, can I use the phone with other GSM carriers ? I want to start using AT&T service with this phone. Is it possible to use it without S-OFFing ?

Thanks!
25th June 2014, 03:25 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 416

1,161 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekk89

I have a T-Mobile HTC One M8 which is bootloader unlocked and rooted with custom recovery. I also have a custom ROM (Viper One) in there. However I couldn't achieve S-OFF (tough luck! ). So my questions is, can I use the phone with other GSM carriers ? I want to start using AT&T service with this phone. Is it possible to use it without S-OFFing ?

Thanks!

I believe so yes, can't recall seeing anything about unlocking it with S-ON. Have you tried the SunShine method to gain S-OFF?

[Android][HTC S-OFF] SunShine for modern HTC devices

Sure it's $25 but going on most responses it seems well worth the few pennies to gain that extra "freedom". Something to consider perhaps...
25th June 2014, 03:38 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Lafayette, IN

31 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM14

I believe so yes, can't recall seeing anything about unlocking it with S-ON. Have you tried the SunShine method to gain S-OFF?

[Android][HTC S-OFF] SunShine for modern HTC devices

Sure it's $25 but going on most responses it seems well worth the few pennies to gain that extra "freedom". Something to consider perhaps...

Thanks BerndM! Appreciate the response.
25th June 2014, 10:43 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag Lafayette, IN

31 posts
More
Turns out I need S-Off to use other carriers. Will probably buy Sunshine's application for S-Off
25th June 2014, 11:13 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,228

13,590 posts
More
You only need S-OFF if your phone is SIM-locked but you can use a pay service to remove the SIM-lock. Unless you have a CDMA phone and are trying to use a GSM SIM in it, in which case probably to stop now...
25th June 2014, 11:17 AM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag Lafayette, IN

31 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

You only need S-OFF if your phone is SIM-locked but you can use a pay service to remove the SIM-lock. Unless you have a CDMA phone and are trying to use a GSM SIM in it, in which case probably to stop now...

Isn't it better to pay $25 to our devs and get S-OFF instead of paying some corporate guys just to get my SIM lock removed ? Just my thought
Last edited by Stephen; 25th June 2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Removing swearing
25th June 2014, 11:55 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,228

13,590 posts
More
Depends if you have to pay or not...

In the UK, not all operators charge to SIM-unlock (that's if the phone even is to begin with, most don't bother these days)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread