Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,925 Members 50,949 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is S-OFF needed to switch carriers ?

Tip us?

abhishekk89
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is S-OFF needed to switch carriers ?

I have a T-Mobile HTC One M8 which is bootloader unlocked and rooted with custom recovery. I also have a custom ROM (Viper One) in there. However I couldn't achieve S-OFF (tough luck! ). So my questions is, can I use the phone with other GSM carriers ? I want to start using AT&T service with this phone. Is it possible to use it without S-OFFing ?

Thanks!

BerndM14
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekk89 View Post
I have a T-Mobile HTC One M8 which is bootloader unlocked and rooted with custom recovery. I also have a custom ROM (Viper One) in there. However I couldn't achieve S-OFF (tough luck! ). So my questions is, can I use the phone with other GSM carriers ? I want to start using AT&T service with this phone. Is it possible to use it without S-OFFing ?

Thanks!
I believe so yes, can't recall seeing anything about unlocking it with S-ON. Have you tried the SunShine method to gain S-OFF?

[Android][HTC S-OFF] SunShine for modern HTC devices

Sure it's $25 but going on most responses it seems well worth the few pennies to gain that extra "freedom". Something to consider perhaps...

abhishekk89
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM14 View Post
I believe so yes, can't recall seeing anything about unlocking it with S-ON. Have you tried the SunShine method to gain S-OFF?

[Android][HTC S-OFF] SunShine for modern HTC devices

Sure it's $25 but going on most responses it seems well worth the few pennies to gain that extra "freedom". Something to consider perhaps...
Thanks BerndM! Appreciate the response.

abhishekk89
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Turns out I need S-Off to use other carriers. Will probably buy Sunshine's application for S-Off

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2925
You only need S-OFF if your phone is SIM-locked but you can use a pay service to remove the SIM-lock. Unless you have a CDMA phone and are trying to use a GSM SIM in it, in which case probably to stop now...
HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Grey) 16GB
ROM: 2.22.401.4 (KTU84L) | HBOOT: 3.18.0.0000 S-OFF | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: 1.19.2133147.09G_20.57.4196.01L_F | Kernel: Stock | CID: HTC__001

OnePlus One (Sandstone Black) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH25R)

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

abhishekk89
Old
(Last edited by Ghost; 25th June 2014 at 01:55 PM.) Reason: Removing swearing
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
You only need S-OFF if your phone is SIM-locked but you can use a pay service to remove the SIM-lock. Unless you have a CDMA phone and are trying to use a GSM SIM in it, in which case probably to stop now...
Isn't it better to pay $25 to our devs and get S-OFF instead of paying some corporate guys just to get my SIM lock removed ? Just my thought

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2925
Depends if you have to pay or not...

In the UK, not all operators charge to SIM-unlock (that's if the phone even is to begin with, most don't bother these days)
HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Grey) 16GB
ROM: 2.22.401.4 (KTU84L) | HBOOT: 3.18.0.0000 S-OFF | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: 1.19.2133147.09G_20.57.4196.01L_F | Kernel: Stock | CID: HTC__001

OnePlus One (Sandstone Black) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH25R)

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock