FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Is S-OFF needed to switch carriers ?

31 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By abhishekk89, Member on 25th June 2014, 01:07 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have a T-Mobile HTC One M8 which is bootloader unlocked and rooted with custom recovery. I also have a custom ROM (Viper One) in there. However I couldn't achieve S-OFF (tough luck! ). So my questions is, can I use the phone with other GSM carriers ? I want to start using AT&T service with this phone. Is it possible to use it without S-OFFing ?

Thanks!

25th June 2014, 02:25 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 554

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekk89

I have a T-Mobile HTC One M8 which is bootloader unlocked and rooted with custom recovery. I also have a custom ROM (Viper One) in there. However I couldn't achieve S-OFF (tough luck! ). So my questions is, can I use the phone with other GSM carriers ? I want to start using AT&T service with this phone. Is it possible to use it without S-OFFing ?

Thanks!

I believe so yes, can't recall seeing anything about unlocking it with S-ON. Have you tried the SunShine method to gain S-OFF?

[Android][HTC S-OFF] SunShine for modern HTC devices

Sure it's $25 but going on most responses it seems well worth the few pennies to gain that extra "freedom". Something to consider perhaps...
25th June 2014, 02:38 AM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Lafayette, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM14

I believe so yes, can't recall seeing anything about unlocking it with S-ON. Have you tried the SunShine method to gain S-OFF?

[Android][HTC S-OFF] SunShine for modern HTC devices

Sure it's $25 but going on most responses it seems well worth the few pennies to gain that extra "freedom". Something to consider perhaps...

Thanks BerndM! Appreciate the response.
25th June 2014, 09:43 AM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Lafayette, IN

More
Turns out I need S-Off to use other carriers. Will probably buy Sunshine's application for S-Off
25th June 2014, 10:13 AM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,773

More
You only need S-OFF if your phone is SIM-locked but you can use a pay service to remove the SIM-lock. Unless you have a CDMA phone and are trying to use a GSM SIM in it, in which case probably to stop now...
25th June 2014, 10:17 AM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Lafayette, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

You only need S-OFF if your phone is SIM-locked but you can use a pay service to remove the SIM-lock. Unless you have a CDMA phone and are trying to use a GSM SIM in it, in which case probably to stop now...

Isn't it better to pay $25 to our devs and get S-OFF instead of paying some corporate guys just to get my SIM lock removed ? Just my thought
Last edited by Stephen; 25th June 2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Removing swearing
25th June 2014, 10:55 AM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,773

More
Depends if you have to pay or not...

In the UK, not all operators charge to SIM-unlock (that's if the phone even is to begin with, most don't bother these days)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)