Originally Posted by jeffs99
I'm plannng on purchasing a new T-Mobile Note 3 and use on an existing ATT line.And also eventually want it rooted and don't want to trip KNOX.
1. Do I need to activate it on T-Mobile first for any reason?
2. Should I unlock first or root first.?
3.What's the best way to unlock, (if at all possible) have T-Mobile give you unlock code, use pay online service (if cost not an issue) or some free method described on this forum?
4. Is Root de la Vega the best way to root? Any risks?
I'll try to answer since I'm trying to do the same thing:
1. I don't think that you should or should matter
2. If you can get the code from Tmo or buy it, then have the option unlock first. If not and you want to use something like Region Lock Away, you have to Root first. As a rule of thumb though, since I use many different carrier phones on other carriers, I try to as stock as possible, while trying to set up on the new carrier. Which means.. Unlock first, if you can.
3. I'd imagine getting the code from Tmo or ordering it online is the safest KNOX trip free course..
4. Depending on the firmware you have, the safe methods or even working methods, change... For example if you're on NB4 like me, then there is no KNOX safe method, but to Kies to NE4 and root with Towlroot
Good luck Sir...