Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,698 Members 48,766 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Proximity sensor problems

Tip us?

baldwyn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Proximity sensor problems

I'm tired of my phone doing weird stuff in my pocket. Every time I hang up a call on my bluetooth earpiece, my phone wakes back up in my pocket and tries to dial some random number. I thought the proximity sensor would keep the screen from coming on if the phone was in your pocket. Is there a way to adjust this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

pcidiot
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwyn View Post
I'm tired of my phone doing weird stuff in my pocket. Every time I hang up a call on my bluetooth earpiece, my phone wakes back up in my pocket and tries to dial some random number. I thought the proximity sensor would keep the screen from coming on if the phone was in your pocket. Is there a way to adjust this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
Yeah, I get this too. I'll be listening to music through wired headphones get a notification. Then find out my phone is surfing the web, or has various apps open. I couldn't even find the option to use the sensor to keep screen off while in my pocket. I suppose setting a harder screen lock option would keep it off. I had finger print set but cant use that anymore as I'm back to work and my finger print changes daily. (Hard labor)

dkvanwing
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default using proximity sensor to turn off screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcidiot View Post
Yeah, I get this too. I'll be listening to music through wired headphones get a notification. Then find out my phone is surfing the web, or has various apps open. I couldn't even find the option to use the sensor to keep screen off while in my pocket. I suppose setting a harder screen lock option would keep it off. I had finger print set but cant use that anymore as I'm back to work and my finger print changes daily. (Hard labor)
Does someone have a fix or know of a setting so that the proximity sensor turns the phone off when slid into a pocket? Screen turns off when i put it to my ear. Why not when i put it in my pocket? I know Better Keyguard is available to do this, i just don't understand why it isnt available on Play Store.

pcidiot
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkvanwing View Post
Does someone have a fix or know of a setting so that the proximity sensor turns the phone off when slid into a pocket? Screen turns off when i put it to my ear. Why not when i put it in my pocket? I know Better Keyguard is available to do this, i just don't understand why it isnt available on Play Store.
There are many apps that use the sensor like Smart Screen Off lite. I personally have not tried one. I just set a pattern code lock however it's a very simple pattern that can be easily done with one hand. It does keep my music from being changed while I am listening to it.

pickupman66
Old
(Last edited by pickupman66; 25th June 2014 at 05:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 266

DONATE TO ME
Didnt the s3 have a pocket mode that sensed the ambient light and proximity and hard locked the screen?

Or this app

SmarScreenOff

http://www.galaxyunlocker.com/blogs/...pocket-dialing
Samsung Galaxy S5
Rooted and Xposed!

Follow me @LHuffhines

Please hit my THANKS button if I helped you.

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free! Click Here