Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,558 Members 44,492 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S5 versus Note 3 screen blacks

Tip us?

brettdacosta
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default S5 versus Note 3 screen blacks

My wife has a note 3, and her blacks are so much blacker than mine. What's the reason behind that? The most noticeable is in the settings, but I think that's actually do to the s5's settings menu being like a deep gray versus an actual black.

Her screen just appears so much more vibrant and rich, and it seems to be more than just from the matte screen protector compared to her clear one. Any thoughts?

drakester09
Old
Thanks Meter 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettdacosta View Post
My wife has a note 3, and her blacks are so much blacker than mine. What's the reason behind that? The most noticeable is in the settings, but I think that's actually do to the s5's settings menu being like a deep gray versus an actual black.

Her screen just appears so much more vibrant and rich, and it seems to be more than just from the matte screen protector compared to her clear one. Any thoughts?
A lot has to do with the matte protector I bet. I wouldn't use one again, had one on my N4 for a while and it really distorted colors.

The rest could be the screen mode, or the screen quality variance. Dunno, to me the S5's screen is technically superior and subjectively much better compared to the Note 3 I have seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to drakester09 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 740
Put side by side (yes, I own both.), the colours on the S5 are more saturated, but the Note 3 has a better contrast ratio.. (Meaning the blacks are blacker.) Both are set to Dynamic for this. (I usually keep the S5 at Natural because I can't stand the ghastly shade of green/blue used in Touchwiz.)

In theory it shouldn't make a difference, as it's AMOLED. Black means the LED is off, and off = off. For the most part it's the screen protector (As these things are slightly white), the colour setting and the screen brightness level.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

brettdacosta
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea View Post
Put side by side (yes, I own both.), the colours on the S5 are more saturated, but the Note 3 has a better contrast ratio.. (Meaning the blacks are blacker.) Both are set to Dynamic for this. (I usually keep the S5 at Natural because I can't stand the ghastly shade of green/blue used in Touchwiz.)

In theory it shouldn't make a difference, as it's AMOLED. Black means the LED is off, and off = off. For the most part it's the screen protector (As these things are slightly white), the colour setting and the screen brightness level.
How would I change the color settings then? I have a glass screen protector coming in a week or so, so we'll see if it's just the screen. I'll set the brightness settings the same. It just feels like it's more than that. Definitely doesn't feel like it turns the led off when it should be black.

Thanks.

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettdacosta View Post
How would I change the color settings then? I have a glass screen protector coming in a week or so, so we'll see if it's just the screen. I'll set the brightness settings the same. It just feels like it's more than that. Definitely doesn't feel like it turns the led off when it should be black.

Thanks.
Settings --> Device --> Display --> Screen mode.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.