Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,985 Members 54,292 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Non-Google Emoji in Hangouts on 4.4.2 Leak?

Tip us?
 
DrPhant0m
Old
#1  
DrPhant0m's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103
Posts: 266
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default Non-Google Emoji in Hangouts on 4.4.2 Leak?

Hello, all...

I've asked this question in the leak thread, but it moves so fast that I don't think a lot of attention is being paid to it.

So, I'll try to make it quick. When I installed Beans's pre-rooted 4.4.2 leak ROM, I realized that the emoji being displayed in Hangouts were different - not the typical Google emoji, but more similar to the emoji that you find in Go!Messenger, Handcent, and other SMS apps that support emoji.

I suspect that Samsung has included their own emoji, and had them baked into Hangouts, but I can't seem to fix it. Even by removing hangouts and installing it from the Play Store, or restoring from Titanium Backup.

When I choose to add a smiley in a Hangout... I can see them in the list... but when I pick one, it switches to some other (samsung's?) version of it in the text box, as well as the conversation. My friends see the normal one on their end... and likewise when they send me one, it shows up as the alternative.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? I'd think that I would have seen it mentioned.

I found a thread on an HTC device that advised a user with a similar issue to rename a stock font, and I tried a similar approach, with no results.

With my DPI changed to 320, I can't even tell what emoji are being used, as this new brand is much smaller than the standard ones.

This bugs me. I want the google emoji back.


Any help? Thanks!
 
dmcooperaz
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhant0m View Post
Hello, all...

I've asked this question in the leak thread, but it moves so fast that I don't think a lot of attention is being paid to it.

So, I'll try to make it quick. When I installed Beans's pre-rooted 4.4.2 leak ROM, I realized that the emoji being displayed in Hangouts were different - not the typical Google emoji, but more similar to the emoji that you find in Go!Messenger, Handcent, and other SMS apps that support emoji.

I suspect that Samsung has included their own emoji, and had them baked into Hangouts, but I can't seem to fix it. Even by removing hangouts and installing it from the Play Store, or restoring from Titanium Backup.

When I choose to add a smiley in a Hangout... I can see them in the list... but when I pick one, it switches to some other (samsung's?) version of it in the text box, as well as the conversation. My friends see the normal one on their end... and likewise when they send me one, it shows up as the alternative.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? I'd think that I would have seen it mentioned.

I found a thread on an HTC device that advised a user with a similar issue to rename a stock font, and I tried a similar approach, with no results.

With my DPI changed to 320, I can't even tell what emoji are being used, as this new brand is much smaller than the standard ones.

This bugs me. I want the google emoji back.


Any help? Thanks!


I would love to know how to fix this as well
 
DrPhant0m
Old
#3  
DrPhant0m's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103
Posts: 266
Join Date: Oct 2010
bump.


I've succeeded in breaking it even worse. Through some hellish combination of renaming some fonts with "emoji" in the name in /system/fonts... and using the font installer in ROM Toolbox Pro to hack things up even worse... I now just have standard non-color (black lines on background) emoji in hangouts. ugh!

Can't someone smarter than me tell me how to fix this?
 
LoneAsp
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 6
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhant0m View Post
bump.


I've succeeded in breaking it even worse. Through some hellish combination of renaming some fonts with "emoji" in the name in /system/fonts... and using the font installer in ROM Toolbox Pro to hack things up even worse... I now just have standard non-color (black lines on background) emoji in hangouts. ugh!

Can't someone smarter than me tell me how to fix this?
Put the two .ttf files in your /system/fonts folder (backup originals if you want) and change permission to -rw-r--r--

Put the .xml file in your /system/etc folder (again, backup original if you want) and change permission to -rw-r--r--

Reboot phone, and hopefully everything works fine
Attached Files
File Type: zip StockEmoji.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.94 MB, 64 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to LoneAsp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
DrPhant0m
Old
#5  
DrPhant0m's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103
Posts: 266
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAsp View Post
Put the two .ttf files in your /system/fonts folder (backup originals if you want) and change permission to -rw-r--r--

Put the .xml file in your /system/etc folder (again, backup original if you want) and change permission to -rw-r--r--

Reboot phone, and hopefully everything works fine
That was your first post? I'm honored to have popped your xda cherry.

I tried the switching and renaming of fonts biz... and it hasn't worked. However, the mention of this xml file is new to me.

Can you elaborate? When/where/how did you learn of this approach?
 
LoneAsp
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 6
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhant0m View Post
That was your first post? I'm honored to have popped your xda cherry.

I tried the switching and renaming of fonts biz... and it hasn't worked. However, the mention of this xml file is new to me.

Can you elaborate? When/where/how did you learn of this approach?
I didn't like the stock emoji on the Note 3 so I decided to change it to the stock Android one. After searching online, I found that those files were the ones you need to change. I got them from a GPE system dump. The .ttf files are the stock emoji. The .xml file basically is how the fonts are prioritized (as far as I can tell) which makes the stock emoji default before the Samsung one.

Anyway, that's how I got it to work on my phone. I'm not exactly sure how/why it worked but it did for me.
 
breakyosef
Old
#7  
breakyosef's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 138
Join Date: May 2012
has anyone else tried this, the samsun emoji are god awful??
 
daviddenton
Old
(Last edited by daviddenton; 24th June 2014 at 07:58 PM.)
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Oct 2010
I just used the method outlined by LoneAsp and it worked for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
jp.esteban
Old
(Last edited by jp.esteban; 25th June 2014 at 09:03 AM.) Reason: Added note about missing icons
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 45
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pasig

 
DONATE TO ME
I attempted the method described by LoneAsp and it didn't work for me. Not sure if it matters, but I'm using a Galaxy Note II on the DN3 ROM.

I downloaded Emoji Switcher (root) from the Play store and it seems to have done the trick. There are some missing icons, however, and I'm not sure if the author will be updating this app to use the updated font files anytime soon.
 
DrPhant0m
Old
(Last edited by DrPhant0m; 25th June 2014 at 06:58 PM.)
#10  
DrPhant0m's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103
Posts: 266
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.esteban View Post
I attempted the method described by LoneAsp and it didn't work for me. Not sure if it matters, but I'm using a Galaxy Note II on the DN3 ROM.

I downloaded Emoji Switcher (root) from the Play store and it seems to have done the trick. There are some missing icons, however, and I'm not sure if the author will be updating this app to use the updated font files anytime soon.
I should have updated my OP... but I used Emoji Switcher to fix this problem, as well. I used the Samsung ones for a while... and I'm currently on the default Google ones. (The samsung ones include a few awkward-looking ones. Kind of creepy. lol) I haven't noticed any missing icons. Which ones are missing?

With my modified DPI (changed to 320 from 480)... the icons were so small that they weren't fun to use or receive... so I used an xposed module, App Settings, to change the font scale to 200%. This makes longer messages kind of a chore, but overall I'm glad the text is so much bigger. The emoji are much better, that's for sure.

Speaking of Hangouts and xposed modules... I also recommend "Stickers for Hangouts" which enables "add sticker" and "add drawing" to your attachment options in Hangouts. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ersforhangouts

Until now... "stickers" were only an option in the iOS version of Hangouts. Does that make sense? (answer: no)

Tags
emoji, emoticons, hangouts, smileys
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Samsung Gear Live Unboxed the XDA Way – XDA Developer TV

XDA Developer TV Producer AdamOutleris known for his XDA Unboxingseries where … more

Make Your Own DIY Capacitive Stylus

The XDA Portal is a place where we like to talkabout things that are interesting, fun, and sometimes … more