Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Super Slow Data After Root - Update: confirmed throttling on corporate unlimited

OP david1pro

20th June 2014, 11:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
Updated: It was merely coincidental that when I rooted, I also reached a 5gb limit on my data plan. The first Verizon rep I talked to, probably like most, refused to admit there was any throttling going on and was willing to send me a new SIM card rather than tell me the truth.

However our tech department today did get a Verizon representative to admit that our corporate unlimited data plan actually does throttle users starting as early as 5 gigabytes. The decision of when to throttle is market dependent. Therefore in crappy little congested markets like mine where there is not a lot of good bandwidth to begin with, throttling can come as early as 5 gigabytes. However in bigger cities, throttling is not likely not to occur until higher data usage has been met. Verizon's corporate unlimited plan is unlimited where you get unlimited data, but after a certain point you can be throttled to unusably slow one x speed. Unlike T Mobile, Verizon does not admit readily that they do this and does not put this on their website. I have to give tmobile respect for being more upfront and honest in the first place about their very similar plans.

Everything from the original thread below is answered in the paragraph above.

So here's my conundrum. I recently had to Oden my s5 back to stock because something went wrong when enabling download booster. After re-installing stock with Oden, doing download booster (no issues the second time) and several other tweaks, including getting SHealth and XPosed to play friendly, removing all the other bloat via the script running around this forum and adding buttons to the notification panel, I have noticed my data is really slow (Data plan only, WiFi is fine).

REALLY Slow!

I know it's not Verizon, as I have two Verizon phones (S5 and Razr M) and the Razr works fine - in fact, multiple speed tests show the Razr M getting speeds 500-1000x faster than my S5. My S5 clocks in at or below 0.1 Mb/S. I didn't discover the problem until leaving the house and realizing that I didn't have enough data to stream Songza or Milk or tunein once I wasn't on my home network.

The s5 shows the 4GLTE symbol and does have a data flowing... it's just like looking at Early Era Dial Up when next to my other device on the same network. The phone itself is speedy and shows no signs of issue. Like I said, I didn't know there was a problem until I finally left the house.

I had noticed that the download booster wasn't useful for me as the LTE speeds were always too slow so it just went with WiFi in my testing, so this tells me that the error occurred very shortly after flashing stock with Oden. The Oden image I used was: ALL_VZW_G900VVRU1ANCG_G900VVZW1ANCG_964333_REV00_u ser_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 I thought this to be the correct one for my phone.

Before the reflashing, my phone was speedy on the verizon network. In fact, I had used it to tether a few times as it was better for streaming the World Cup than Time Warner on ESPN3. FWIW, I am on an unlimited corporate data plan with the S5.

Thoughts, please?
Last edited by david1pro; 1st July 2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Updated info.
21st June 2014, 04:27 AM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
83 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Try switching between Global to LTE/CDMA or vice versa. I noticed that my data speeds tend to change with the settings. Prior to rooting, speed test after speed test in the same location it was quicker with LTE/CDMA than Global.

Since rooting my data rate was significantly slower under LTE/CDMA than Global, switched it back and I felt like the speed test were coming back to normal. Which is odd because I just assumed it only altered with whether or not it looks for GSM signal when roaming.
21st June 2014, 04:59 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTheGreat

Try switching between Global to LTE/CDMA or vice versa. I noticed that my data speeds tend to change with the settings. Prior to rooting, speed test after speed test in the same location it was quicker with LTE/CDMA than Global.

Since rooting my data rate was significantly slower under LTE/CDMA than Global, switched it back and I felt like the speed test were coming back to normal. Which is odd because I just assumed it only altered with whether or not it looks for GSM signal when roaming.

Sadly I had already tried this. It was on Global to start, I switched, no help, and switched back (as my working phone is also on Global, so I assumed that was the correct default setting on Verizon. Thanks for the idea though.
21st June 2014, 06:52 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
It's the Sim Card (or account)
Out of curiosity I switched the sim cards between my personal phone (limited GB standard plan) with my work phone (unlimited corporate plan). With my personal card in my work phone, the speed is again blazing. Once I put the correct sim card in, the speed drops to near zero. I did this test twice.

So does that mean Verizon puts a data speed limit on unlimited corporate accounts when they wish, or does that mean something is wrong with the sim card? I didn't think Verizon limited their data speeds on an individual basis on LTE. I also didn't think they limited their corporate data plans, but it would seem as if they do.

Does anyone have any insider knowledge about this? Thanks.
24th June 2014, 09:24 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
83 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1pro

Out of curiosity I switched the sim cards between my personal phone (limited GB standard plan) with my work phone (unlimited corporate plan). With my personal card in my work phone, the speed is again blazing. Once I put the correct sim card in, the speed drops to near zero. I did this test twice.

So does that mean Verizon puts a data speed limit on unlimited corporate accounts when they wish, or does that mean something is wrong with the sim card? I didn't think Verizon limited their data speeds on an individual basis on LTE. I also didn't think they limited their corporate data plans, but it would seem as if they do.

Does anyone have any insider knowledge about this? Thanks.

If swapping SIM cards fixed the problem then you probably have a bad sim, or it went bad. You can ask for a new one.
25th June 2014, 09:31 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTheGreat

If swapping SIM cards fixed the problem then you probably have a bad sim, or it went bad. You can ask for a new one.

Sadly, I got a new SIM and it didn't work either. Swapping SIMs confirms that it is a sim issue, though, as I have one non working SIM that doesn't work in two phones and one working SIM that works in two phones. Sadly, Big Red has now sent me to non-functioning SIMs as far as I can tell.
Last edited by david1pro; 26th June 2014 at 12:00 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes