Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 45,425 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help on updating

Tip us?

benk016
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Need help on updating

So I've not updated my phone in a while. I decided maybe it was time to update to a more current ROM and I see that there have been a lot of updates and different options now.
I have the ATT S4, running 4.2.2 I337UCUAMF3-SHOstock-V2.3
Kernel: 3.4.0-Jeboo_kernel_v1.5+
Baseband: I337UCUAMDL

I like having a near custom ROM with as little additions as possible. What do I need to update to for the most current roms, or some updates that I need to stay away from. Sorry if this is a bit noobish. I got too far behind on this and all the different levels of updates have me all confused.

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 626

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by benk016 View Post
So I've not updated my phone in a while. I decided maybe it was time to update to a more current ROM and I see that there have been a lot of updates and different options now.
I have the ATT S4, running 4.2.2 I337UCUAMF3-SHOstock-V2.3
Kernel: 3.4.0-Jeboo_kernel_v1.5+
Baseband: I337UCUAMDL

I like having a near custom ROM with as little additions as possible. What do I need to update to for the most current roms, or some updates that I need to stay away from. Sorry if this is a bit noobish. I got too far behind on this and all the different levels of updates have me all confused.
If you're running a custom kernel, then that means your bootloader is compatible with the loki exploit, and you should never flash any ODIN package besides MDL and don't flash any zip file that includes bootloaders. Other than that, you can flash any ROM you like. There's a stock prerooted NC1 zip which is the latest stock firmware with no mods but root. Just make sure you flash the version that doesn't include bootloaders and you'll be good to go. I don't know if it includes the kernel in the zip, but if you want to keep your custom kernel then just reflash it afterwards and make sure you flash loki if it doesn't by itself. Additionally, if you upgrade to a 4.4 ROM, I believe you will need to flash a 4.4 modem to get working sound and radio. You can use the flashable zips in RockRatt's thread safely through your recovery.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)