Nexus 7 still worth buying?

Search This thread

junglebungle

Feb 1, 2011
I'm after a new tablet and was thinking about getting a bay trail windows 8 tab such as the dell venue 8 pro but I don't think I need windows 8 on a tab, so was thinking android, I already have a nexus 5 and I use that ALOT to do most tasks on so figured a nexus 7 will be suitable and bigger screen etc.. Just bit worried about performance as the nexus 5 is clocked higher and it has the adreno 330.

Should I get it?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Rahul721

Feb 10, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE
I'm after a new tablet and was thinking about getting a bay trail windows 8 tab such as the dell venue 8 pro but I don't think I need windows 8 on a tab, so was thinking android, I already have a nexus 5 and I use that ALOT to do most tasks on so figured a nexus 7 will be suitable and bigger screen etc.. Just bit worried about performance as the nexus 5 is clocked higher and it has the adreno 330.

Should I get it?

Sent from my Nexus 5

I think you should buy an 8 or 10 inch tab. 7 inches is bigger than the Nexus 5's display but you dont really get a true tablet feeling. The nexus 5 and 7 are identical in more ways than they are different. It will just be like using your nexus 5 on a bigger screen.
Then again it depends on the type of stuff you do on your tab. For me, i would love a 2nd gen Nexus 10

junglebungle

Feb 1, 2011
See I don't actually mind the idea of it being like the nexus 5 but bigger etc, I can pretty much get the tablet cost next to nothing too... Hmm decisions decisions

Sent from my Nexus 5

aknotts415

May 6, 2014
See I don't actually mind the idea of it being like the nexus 5 but bigger etc, I can pretty much get the tablet cost next to nothing too... Hmm decisions decisions

Sent from my Nexus 5

Can anyone recommend a good 10 inch android tablet for $250 or less? I know I am asking alot for it to be good and that cheap but thats my price range. Thanks!!:laugh:

jager420

Aug 25, 2010
San Fernando Valley

Sent from my Nexus 5

If your going to get a 7 might as well wait a little bit to see if they drop the 2014 edition(nexus 8?)would like to see a new nexus 10 tho

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

cowbutt

Feb 11, 2010
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Moto G
I've just bought a 2013 Nexus 7, in spite of knowing that a new tablet is due soon. My reasoning was that I liked the form factor of the current 7 inch models (variously, the new one is 8" or even 8.9", which strikes me as a bit bulky and likely heavier), I got a good price on the 32GB model (£169.99) and the new model will probably be much more expensive. 64 bit doesn't strike me as being terribly useful yet, though 3GB RAM would be nice to have.

Last edited:

popozao

Jun 23, 2014
I've just bought a 2013 Nexus 7, in spite of knowing that a new tablet is due soon. My reasoning was that I liked the form factor of the current 7 inch models (variously, the new one is 8" or even 8.9", which strikes me as a bit bulky and likely heavier), I got a good price on the 32GB model (£169.99) and the new model will probably be much more expensive. 64 bit doesn't strike me as being terribly useful yet, though 3GB RAM would be nice to have.

Same here. I just bought the 32gb one on eBay for a good price and because the 7 inch fits in my purse whereas my previous 9" tablet was kind of a drag to lug around (oh what a difference a couple inches and a bunch of ounces make). But, I also only use mine for reading, note-taking, and checking my email. 64-bit may not seem useful now, but who knows what cool things people will come up with in the future? Buy a 2013 Nexus 7 if you like the form factor, if you have simple needs, and if you're at all cost conscious. Otherwise wait for the new ones.

i_rnb

Dec 9, 2010
Paris, France
Hey, I am planning to buy an Android tablet. Nexus series is the best among Android devices - but I am looking for a 8 inch screen.. I read about Nexus 8. But it might take a while to come to India. I saw Dell Venue 8, it is perfect for my need, but it has no guarantee about future Android updates and its development is not very active. So any suggestion?

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

junglebungle

Feb 1, 2011
Hey, I am planning to buy an Android tablet. Nexus series is the best among Android devices - but I am looking for a 8 inch screen.. I read about Nexus 8. But it might take a while to come to India. I saw Dell Venue 8, it is perfect for my need, but it has no guarantee about future Android updates and its development is not very active. So any suggestion?

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

The Dell Venue 8 is not an Android tablet its windows 8.1.

Edit: sorry I thought you said pro.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Last edited:

gammite

Mar 13, 2007

Should I get it?

Sent from my Nexus 5

i have both a dell venue 8 pro and a nexus 7. they serve two very different needs. the dell is literally a desktop computer in your pocket. i can actually do work on it. the nexus 7 is good for consumption. there is no way i could replace the dell with the nexus. but i could replace the nexus with the dell.

fyi, i got my 32 gb dell for 199.99 and my 16gb nexus for 144.xx. both on great sales.

Last edited:

Hashbang173

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 6, 2012
Nexus 8 didn't make an appearence at Google i/o today. Do you think it will come out soon or should I just get the Nexus 7? Are there any good sales going on buying the Nexus 7 (2013) in the US?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Go for the nexus 7
    Any problem with your order? Everything was included? Brand new sealed unit as advertised? 1 week lead time = from order to delivery?

What's the manufacture date on it? I bought one from Amazon last month and the build date was Oct 2015.

Thanks.

So true to our word, Groupon and I delivered :) One week from order to receipt, both are new in box ( mfg 8/15 ) and everything is perfect. Maybe they've reformed?
    Nexus 8 didn't make an appearence at Google i/o today. Do you think it will come out soon or should I just get the Nexus 7? Are there any good sales going on buying the Nexus 7 (2013) in the US?
    You can get 3 months of free play music if you buy now
    Can you give a link to who you bought it from?

It was a shop.ca promo when they were starting their website. There were a bunch of promos you could combine + ebates cash back and paypal promo/cash back that made the total $135. I found the thread about it on RedFlagDeals. It was only possible to do for a week or two.
    Just ordered this beast. 32gb, buy now pay later, £200. I haven't even got it and I know its worth it :D first nexus device, don't like the phones due to restricted storage, tablet I won't fill as aggressively. Now I just need to get a Bluetooth controller, any recommendations? Also a kickstand case please

Sent while my supervisor wasn't looking

I like using a Playstation 3 DualShock 3 myself.