Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,638 Members 54,299 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stock Video Player: HW or SW decoding?

Tip us?

Zakanam
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Stock Video Player: HW or SW decoding?

Hey guys, I don't know much about the stock video player on Samsung TabPro but I was wondering if the stock video player uses HW or SW decoding when playing videos? I mean, in MX player, you have the option but in the stock Samsung you don't get the option.

I have a SM-T325 (8.4 LTE) and I was wondering if the stock player drains more battery than MX Player or what? And what does the H/W+ option really do in MX player? Does the MX player play movies smoother?

Thanks

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2793
The stock player won't play a lot of formats, so I don't even consider it a feasible option. MX has been my go-to video player for Android for some time now. It works so well, plays anything I throw at it, and has some nice options. So why bother using anything else?

Can't say I've compared the two, but don't think there would be much difference in battery life. I get close to 10 hours playing video on MX anyway. Not often I would even need that kind of playtime, except for long airplane flights.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zakanam
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
The stock player won't play a lot of formats, so I don't even consider it a feasible option. MX has been my go-to video player for Android for some time now. It works so well, plays anything I throw at it, and has some nice options. So why bother using anything else?

Can't say I've compared the two, but don't think there would be much difference in battery life. I get close to 10 hours playing video on MX anyway. Not often I would even need that kind of playtime, except for long airplane flights.

Thanks for replying really appreciate it, but sorry haven't replied nor have I seen the thread for a while, I would have thought to get an email when someone replies...

Yeah, since the time I made this thread till now, MX player is just better in every way. I tested battery life and it seems like they're both the same but what I dislike about MX player is that when viewing on a tablet, there's so much space to be used that isn't being used e.g when viewing the list of movies, on the right side of the screen is a big white space. But I guess I'll take that up with the developer of the player.

Thanks again