Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,466 Members 49,623 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wow this is good to know. HTC one m8 is possible water proof.

Tip us?

Magnum_Enforcer
Old
(Last edited by Magnum_Enforcer; 23rd June 2014 at 10:53 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,904

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlzanej View Post
If this device was actually water proof or even water resistant, wouldnt it be advertised as being so. Or possibly listed in the device specs, which its not on either account. Just kinda a common sense call here.....0_o,,,,

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I tend to agree. Samsung touts the S5 as being water-resistant and advertises that feature in their commercials, etc. I would hope that HTC would do the same, but they haven't, so I'm skeptical, too. I wouldn't want to find out, at least not intentionally

Sent from my HTC device
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum_Enforcer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

slimbrady
Old
(Last edited by slimbrady; 23rd June 2014 at 06:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by st1ngr4y View Post
Watching alcohol evaporate would probably be like watching grass grow lol. The boiling point for isopropyl alcohol is only ~18℃ less than water.

But let's just say I'm clearly a skeptic and until HTC backs up said claims, I will be avoiding water with my phone like the plague.
ya well the sink test was at least 5+ hours time lapse i think? It wouldn't be too hard to notice.

I use 99% isopropyl all the time when changing heat sinks on a PC or any other cleaning related job having to do with electronics because it dries so fast....pretty much as soon as you've spread it out it's 2-3 seconds from disappearing. I've had a bowl next to me (while masked) and had it drop noticeably without me ever getting around to using it in the hour or two I was working...of course it was a small bowl but still...
Current Device: Sprint HTC One M8 Harman Kardon edition(Black with Champagne) *S-OFF* (Victim of Sunshine)
Backups: Sprint HTC One M7(m7wls) *S - OFF*(Rumrunner), Sprint HTC EVO 4G - *S-OFF* (Facepalm)
Bricked Paperweights: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE *RIP QWERTY KEYBOARD, I MISS YOU*
Prior Devices: Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S4,Google Nexus

ahecht
Old
Thanks Meter 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbrady View Post
ya well the sink test was at least 5+ hours time lapse i think? It wouldn't be too hard to notice.

I use 99% isopropyl all the time when changing heat sinks on a PC or any other cleaning related job having to do with electronics because it dries so fast....pretty much as soon as you've spread it out it's 2-3 seconds from disappearing. I've had a bowl next to me (while masked) and had it drop noticeably without me ever getting around to using it in the hour or two I was working...of course it was a small bowl but still...
The video was clearly a doctored time lapse -- the phone kept moving in circles.

Bradh024
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlzanej View Post
If this device was actually water proof or even water resistant, wouldnt it be advertised as being so. Or possibly listed in the device specs, which its not on either account. Just kinda a common sense call here.....0_o,,,,

Hell, even if it is claimed waterproof doesn't really mean it is. Before the m8 I had the s4 with a lifeproof case and it was about as waterproof as my otterbox is right now, and I thought it would be nice to take my casio rock swimming last year, that was really a bad idea because that leaked also... Bottom line is unless I have $225 laying around for a replacement and another soff, none of my devices are going near water.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bradh024 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drlzanej
Old
Thanks Meter 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradh024 View Post
Hell, even if it is claimed waterproof doesn't really mean it is. Before the m8 I had the s4 with a lifeproof case and it was about as waterproof as my otterbox is right now, and I thought it would be nice to take my casio rock swimming last year, that was really a bad idea because that leaked also... Bottom line is unless I have $225 laying around for a replacement and another soff, none of my devices are going near water.
Definately +1, I dont even take mine in the bathroom with me lol.

Devices: Sprint HTC Hero200 CDMA,Sprint HTC Evo 4G Supersonic,
Sprint HTC Evo 3D, Sprint HTC Evo 4G LTE, Sprint Htc One(M7)
Present Device: Sprint Htc One (M8) Harmon/Kardon Edition
Recovery: CaptainThrowback's TWRP 2.7.0.7
Rom: InsertCoin
Kernel: MassStashedX-0.19.1
ExtSd: 64g Class10

If I've helped you in some way, Keep it to yourself or all the kid's will want some,,,
The Following User Says Thank You to drlzanej For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]